Exploring Normal Force on a Slanted Plank

In summary, this person understands the concept of a normal force but is still confused about how it works when the plank starts to slide.
thejinx0r
This has always puzzled me, the normal force, and I think I might understand this now, or at least part's of it.

So here's the case: there's a plank of wood leaning against a wall.

If it's not slipping/sliding or any of the sort, then there is no movement in the x or y direction.
Then, there must be a normal force from the floor holding it up. There must also be a normal force on the side that keeps it from falling.

That get's tricky here for me.

So, if it was perfectly balanced and not leaning on anything, then the normal force would just be equal to MG in the y-direction.

Now, if it is leaning on a wall, then the normal force coming from the wall would be only in the x direction. Thus, the horizontal normal force should not affect the vertical one. So, the normal force from the ground must also be equal to MG in this case.

I'm also learning about angular momentum right now. So, would the horizontal normal force be just a torque such that it prevents it from rotating down?

Now, uncertain territory begins:
Suppose the plank began to slide without friction.

The vertical normal force would then be a constant right?
And the horizontal normal force would change? But there is one little problem.
I've always noticed that my hockey stick (i.e a plank of wood) always seem to make a big bang sound as though the whole stick hit the floor and not just one edge.

So, does that mean that at some point, it loses contact with the wall?

Physics news on Phys.org
thejinx0r said:
This has always puzzled me, the normal force, and I think I might understand this now, or at least part's of it.

So here's the case: there's a plank of wood leaning against a wall.

If it's not slipping/sliding or any of the sort, then there is no movement in the x or y direction.
Then, there must be a normal force from the floor holding it up.
Not just. There might be a frictional component along the wall working in the y-direction.
There must also be a normal force on the side that keeps it from falling.
Not quite. The normal force from the wall is strictly horizontal, and prevents the plank from going into the wall.

So, if it was perfectly balanced and not leaning on anything, then the normal force would just be equal to MG in the y-direction.
correct.
Now, if it is leaning on a wall, then the normal force coming from the wall would be only in the x direction. Thus, the horizontal normal force should not affect the vertical one.
Indeed correct.
So, the normal force from the ground must also be equal to MG in this case.
Nope, answered above!

arildno said:
Not quite. The normal force from the wall is strictly horizontal, and prevents the plank from going into the wall.

Well, I see your point, but wouldn't it be considered falling if the wall was not there?

thejinx0r said:
Well, I see your point, but wouldn't it be considered falling if the wall was not there?

Nope. If the GROUND was witout friction, then the normal force would exert a horizontal force upon the plank so that the plank would start sliding down along the wall (the C.m of the plank would accelerate away from the wall.)
Thus, it is NOT the normal force from the wall by itself that normally prevents falling, but a combination of it and the friction along the ground (and, as asubsidiary point, some friction along the wall, as noted).

So, would the horizontal normal force be just a torque such that it prevents it from rotating down?

yes...for a stationary rigid plank of the type you describe the sum of the moments about any point is zero...a moment is the same thing as a torque...you can find complete explanations in many introductory physics texts...

Naty1 said:
yes...for a stationary rigid plank of the type you describe the sum of the moments about any point is zero...a moment is the same thing as a torque...you can find complete explanations in many introductory physics texts...

Ya, sort of true. I have a Kleppner and Kolenkow and there's nothing about it.
If there's one that you can recommend, then it would help me tremendously.

But anyways, I do understand the stationary part.
The part that I don't understand is when it starts to slide.

It's at the end of the first post, but I guess no one cared to comment.

I tried to go from first principles and what I knew about normal forces, but still not any better than yesterday,

Worst comes to worst, I'll just ask a teacher on Tuesday. (Tomorrow is Canadian thanks giving)

Related to Exploring Normal Force on a Slanted Plank

1. What is normal force?

Normal force is the force that a surface exerts on an object that is in contact with it. It is always perpendicular to the surface and acts to prevent objects from passing through it.

2. How is normal force affected by a slanted plank?

In the case of a slanted plank, the normal force is affected by both the weight of the object on the plank and the angle of the plank. As the angle of the plank increases, the normal force decreases.

3. What is the formula for calculating normal force on a slanted plank?

The formula for calculating normal force on a slanted plank is FN = mgsinθ, where FN is the normal force, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle of the plank.

4. Why is it important to understand normal force on a slanted plank?

Understanding normal force on a slanted plank is important in many real-life situations, such as when objects are placed on an inclined plane or when calculating the stability of structures on a sloped surface. It also helps to understand the forces acting on an object and how they affect its motion.

5. How can normal force on a slanted plank be experimentally determined?

Normal force on a slanted plank can be experimentally determined by using a force sensor or a spring scale to measure the force exerted by the object on the plank. The angle of the plank can also be measured with a protractor. By varying the angle and recording the corresponding forces, a graph can be created to show the relationship between normal force and angle of the plank.