Exploring Our Home Galaxy: A Look at the Milky Way from Within

• Thread starter simpleton
  • Start date
  • Tags
    milky way
In summary, it is not possible to see the entire Milky Way from Earth since we are located within it. However, if you are fortunate enough to live in an area where it is visible, it is a beautiful sight to behold. According to a local observatory expert, the majority of children in the US have never seen it. Some suggest looking at images of barred spiral galaxies to get an idea of what our home galaxy may look like. Our view of the Milky Way is limited by Earth's location within it and our location on Earth.
simpleton
How do you see the whole of milky way if we are in it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Obviously you'll not see it all. If you're lucky enough to live someplace where it's visible, be happy and enjoy. I understand, from the local observatory guy, that about 80% of children in the US have never seen it.

simpleton said:
How do you see the whole of milky way if we are in it?

Here's a similar thread from September. It may answer some of your questions (and give you a laugh or two).

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=338097

The best way to "see" our home galaxy is to dig up images of barred spiral galaxies and use your imagination. We are reasonably sure that the MW is a barred spiral, and they are fairly common, so images are not hard to find. I live in central Maine. In the summer I get to see the "fat" bright part of the MW, toward Saggitarius, and in the winter I get to look at the next arm out and see Orion, etc. Our view of the MW is necessarily constrained by the Earth's location in it, and by our location on the Earth. I have never seen the Southern Cross, nor the Magellanic Clouds. :frown:

Related to Exploring Our Home Galaxy: A Look at the Milky Way from Within

1. What is the Milky Way?

The Milky Way is a spiral-shaped galaxy that contains our solar system. It is estimated to be around 13.51 billion years old and has a diameter of about 100,000 light-years.

2. How do we see the Milky Way?

We see the Milky Way as a band of faint, hazy light stretching across the night sky. This is because we are inside the Milky Way, so we are looking at it from the inside out.

3. Can we see the Milky Way with the naked eye?

Yes, on a clear, dark night, away from city lights, the Milky Way can be seen with the naked eye. However, it may appear as a faint band of light and not as clear as pictures or simulations depict.

4. How do scientists study the Milky Way?

Scientists study the Milky Way using a variety of tools and techniques, including telescopes, satellites, and computer simulations. They also use different types of light to study the Milky Way, such as radio waves, infrared, and X-rays.

5. What can we learn from studying the Milky Way?

Studying the Milky Way can help us understand the formation and evolution of galaxies, including our own. It can also provide insights into the structure and composition of the universe and the distribution of dark matter, among other things.