Exploring Physics Behind Everyday Phenomena: Leidenfrost Effect

In summary: Flying Circus of Physics is a photocopied collection of paradoxical physical effects that can be explained with basic undergraduate physics. Highly recommended!
andresB
Once upon a time a young me noticed that when I spinkled some water on the hot surface of an stove plate the droplets refused to boil and instead they started to move around, but only if the plate was hot enough. Years and years later I was shocked to find that it is actually a well stablished and studied effect, the Leidenfrost effect.

I'm looking for books with a collection of explanaitions for "everyday" physical effects like the aforementioned Leidenfrost effect. Though I'm not looking for overly simplified explanation, I'm looking for books that assume knowledge in basic undergraduate physics. I wonder if such books exist.

Likes weirdoguy
Physics news on Phys.org
andresB said:
Once upon a time a young me noticed that when I spinkled some water on the hot surface of an stove plate the droplets refused to boil and instead they started to move around, but only if the plate was hot enough. Years and years later I was shocked to find that it is actually a well stablished and studied effect, the Leidenfrost effect.

I'm looking for books with a collection of explanaitions for "everyday" physical effects like the aforementioned Leidenfrost effect. Though I'm not looking for overly simplified explanation, I'm looking for books that assume knowledge in basic undergraduate physics. I wonder if such books exist.

"Flying Circus of Physics" by Jearl Walker:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0471762733/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Likes Demystifier
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0471762733/?tag=pfamazon01-20

This was as set of photocopied pages by some crazy grad student (at U of Maryland if memory serves ) when I was studying for my quals. There have been many editions with and without answers during the intervening 40 years. Highly recommended.

I see I have been pre-empted !

Likes Demystifier

Related to Exploring Physics Behind Everyday Phenomena: Leidenfrost Effect

1. What is the Leidenfrost effect?

The Leidenfrost effect is a phenomenon that occurs when a liquid comes into contact with a surface that is significantly hotter than its boiling point. This causes the liquid to form a vapor layer, insulating it from the surface and allowing it to hover and move around for an extended period of time.

2. How does the Leidenfrost effect work?

The Leidenfrost effect works due to a combination of factors, including the surface temperature, the liquid's boiling point, and the surface tension of the liquid. When the liquid comes into contact with the hot surface, it rapidly vaporizes and forms a layer of vapor that acts as an insulator between the liquid and the surface.

3. What are some examples of the Leidenfrost effect in everyday life?

The Leidenfrost effect can be observed in many everyday situations, such as when water droplets sizzle and dance on a hot pan, or when a liquid nitrogen ice cream is made by pouring liquid nitrogen onto a mixture of cream and sugar. It can also be seen when a person dips their hand in molten metal without getting burned.

4. What are the practical applications of the Leidenfrost effect?

The Leidenfrost effect has several practical applications, including in cooling systems, where it can be used to create a layer of vapor to insulate the surface of a hot object. It is also used in some industrial processes, such as metal casting, where it can prevent molten metal from sticking to a surface.

5. Are there any potential dangers associated with the Leidenfrost effect?

While the Leidenfrost effect can be a fascinating and useful phenomenon, it can also be dangerous if not handled properly. For example, if a person's hand is wet and they touch a hot surface, the Leidenfrost effect can delay the sensation of burning, leading to potential injury. It is important to always handle hot surfaces with caution, even if the Leidenfrost effect is present.