Exploring Pressure Variations of CO2 Gas at 200°C

In summary, the conversation discusses the pressure variations between a perfect gas and a real gas, specifically CO2. The real gas has a lower pressure due to the fact that CO2 molecules have a real volume and interact with each other in an inelastic manner. The error is approximately 6% and the pressure difference between the perfect and real gas is 27.26 atm. The statement that is true is that the measured pressure and the pressure of the perfect gas are the same in this specific case. The other statements are either false or raise doubts about the calculation and potential deviations. Alternative equations of state models could be used for comparison.
havenly
Homework Statement
CO2
Relevant Equations
vanderwaals equation p=nrt/V
A container of 0.5l containing 6 moles of CO2 are heated to 200 ° C on is interested in explaining the pressure variations between the pressure of a perfect gas and the actual value measured on a pressure gauge. The coefficients of the real gas a=3.59 [atm l2/mol2-] b=0.0427 [l /mol] indicate the only proposal that is fully true:
a. in this specific case the measured pressure and the pressure of the perfect gas are the same, it has no deviation
b.la actual gas pressure is 438.7 atm this pressure is lower than the pressure calculated by considering the gas how perfect this negative difference is due to the the fact that CO2 molecules have a real volume.
c. the pressure difference between the perfect gas and real 155.3 atm this deviation is due to the fact that CO2 molecules interact with each other and their shocks are inelastic
d. the error is of the order 6% this negative deviation is due to the fact that the molecules of CO2 have a real volume
e. la pressure difference between the perfect and real gas is 27.26 atm this deviation negative is due to the fact that CO2 molecules interact with each other and their shocks are inelastic

for the vanderwaals equation I get 437.57atm and by p=nrt/V =465.432 atm
I think a is false

Physics news on Phys.org
a is trivially false. What about the other statements? You are asked to identify the one which is true.

I think that c is also false because I don't get 155.3 B and E make me doubt How do I calculate the deviation?

CO2 can have a negative deviation?

havenly said:
CO2 can have a negative deviation?
Well you calculated it (correctly)

Have you tried any other equation of state model (e.g., corresponding states) for comparison?

1. What is the purpose of exploring pressure variations of CO2 gas at 200°C?

The purpose of this study is to understand how the pressure of CO2 gas changes at a high temperature of 200°C. This information can be useful in various industries, such as chemical engineering and geology, where CO2 is present in high-temperature environments.

2. How will the pressure variations of CO2 gas at 200°C be measured?

The pressure variations will be measured using a pressure sensor, which will be connected to a data logger. The data logger will record the pressure readings at different time intervals, allowing us to analyze the changes in pressure over time.

3. What factors can affect the pressure variations of CO2 gas at 200°C?

Some factors that can affect the pressure variations of CO2 gas at 200°C include the volume of the container, the initial pressure of the gas, and the temperature of the surroundings. Changes in these factors can impact the behavior of CO2 gas and its pressure.

4. What are the potential applications of this research?

This research can have various applications, such as in the development of new technologies for storing and transporting CO2 gas at high temperatures. It can also provide insights into the behavior of CO2 in industrial processes and help improve safety measures.

5. How can this research contribute to our understanding of CO2 gas?

By exploring the pressure variations of CO2 gas at 200°C, we can gain a better understanding of its physical properties and behavior at high temperatures. This can help us make more accurate predictions and models for CO2 in different environments, leading to advancements in various fields of science and technology.