Exploring Quantum Field Theory: A Student's Perspective

In summary: OK, thanks for the input! I'll definitely try to find a book that goes into more depth about QFT. Would you recommend a specific one? OK, thanks for the input! I'll definitely try to find a book that goes into more depth about QFT. Would you recommend a specific one?
da_willem
At my physics faculty there is this magazine that comes out once every three months. I wrote an article about GR for it. Introducing not only the concepts but also some mathematics. I explained the field equations and derived some implications of the Schwarzschild metric. I could do this because I read some books about it in the summer.

Now I'm supposed to write a similar piece, so with mathematical backup, about QFT. But as a third year (applied-)physics student I have not encountered the subject in class. And I actually found the books I opened about it quite intimidating.

I will try to read a book about it, because what I've seen about it it seems like a very interesting subject. But I would like to know if (you think) it is possible to give a comprehensive outline of the ideas not only in words to an audience of physics students from sophomores to graduates. Not everybody has to understand everything. But I would like those who had an introductory course in QM, SR, and have seen the EL en Hamiltonian formalism to grasp the ideas; including myself! And I would like to show some of the good stuff from QFT, to enthousiasm the readers.

I would also like to know what aspects of the theory are not too difficult and interesting. Like is it very difficult to derive the Casimir force between two parallel plates? I already found out deriving the KG equation is easy and the Dirac equation is also doable. So I would like to start with that. But what other subjects are interesting and can be explained in an article of let's say 3000 words?

And are there any good sites about QFT. I already found Wikipedia had a lot of interesting articles.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can anybody enlighten me?

Since no one has responded, and you sounded so desperate in your plea (hehehehe), I'll throw out a few links here for you. I have no idea if these are what you want, or if they'll even be of any help...

http://xxx.lanl.gov/abs/hep-th/9803075 <-- this is by Frank Wilczek, our 2004 Nobel prize winner.

http://xxx.lanl.gov/abs/hep-ph/0010035

http://arxiv.org/abs/math-ph/0204014

If I were you, I'd narrow down the range of coverage of QFT, and look at how it is used in many-body physics (see, for example, http://www.physics.ucla.edu/~nayak/many_body.pdf ). This has crucial applications in condensed matter physics. The audience needs to be told that these apparently esoteric methodology has applications in the very devices they use everyday.

Zz.

Thanks, I did sound kinda desperate... Could you explain what kind of applications QFT has, so to save me to read a 338p book on which I haven't even had an introductory course (next period I get solid state physics...)?

da_willem said:
Thanks, I did sound kinda desperate... Could you explain what kind of applications QFT has, so to save me to read a 338p book on which I haven't even had an introductory course (next period I get solid state physics...)?

I'll just give you one quick example of QFT in condensed matter - the derivation of BCS theory of superconductivity.

.. and I'm not even scratching the surface by saying that. There are tons more.

Zz.

And do you think any of these examples can be worked out without having studied all of QFT, or have your MSc in mathematics or physics? I just found out it isn't too difficult to derive the Casimir force, at least in one dimension, from the principles that follow from QFT.

da_willem said:
And do you think any of these examples can be worked out without having studied all of QFT, or have your MSc in mathematics or physics? I just found out it isn't too difficult to derive the Casimir force, at least in one dimension, from the principles that follow from QFT.

I wouldn't know.

You can derive the BCS theory without using QFT, such as using variational technique. But it is way more elegant and a lot more transparent using field theoretic methods, since you start right away with the coupling mechanism that forms the cooper pairs.

Zz.

Related to Exploring Quantum Field Theory: A Student's Perspective

1. What is Quantum Field Theory?

Quantum Field Theory is a theoretical framework used to describe the behavior of particles at a subatomic level. It combines the principles of quantum mechanics and special relativity to explain the interactions between particles through the exchange of virtual particles.

2. Why is studying Quantum Field Theory important?

Studying Quantum Field Theory is important because it allows us to understand the fundamental forces and particles that make up our universe. It has also led to many important discoveries in physics, such as the Standard Model and the Higgs boson.

3. Is Quantum Field Theory difficult to understand?

Quantum Field Theory can be a challenging concept to grasp, as it relies on complex mathematical equations and abstract concepts. However, with dedication and the right resources, it can be understood by students at various levels of education.

4. How can I apply Quantum Field Theory to real-world problems?

Quantum Field Theory has applications in various fields, including particle physics, condensed matter physics, and quantum computing. It helps us understand the behavior of matter at a microscopic level and can lead to new technologies and advancements in these fields.

5. What resources are available for learning about Quantum Field Theory?

There are many resources available for learning about Quantum Field Theory, including textbooks, online courses, and video lectures. It is also helpful to have a strong background in mathematics and physics to fully understand the concepts.