Exploring Reflections, Rotations, and Similitude Mappings

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathmari
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation covers various topics related to symmetry mappings, rotations, reflections, and translations. Some statements are confirmed to be correct, while others are still being questioned or require further clarification. It is mentioned that each reflection along a line and a point is an odd permutation, and the determinant of a reflection is -1. The composition of two reflections can result in a rotation, with the angle being twice the angle of the individual reflections. There is also a discussion about whether a rotation is around the origin or not. Other topics include similitude mappings, affine mappings, and the composition of rotations. The conversation also references specific examples, such as the symmetry group of a regular polygon.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

I want to check whether the following statements are correct:

1. Each reflection along a line and each reflection along a point is odd.
  2. For the lines $g,h$ it holds that $\sigma_g\circ\sigma_h=\sigma_h\circ\sigma_g$ iff $g=h$.
  3. For a rotation $\delta\neq id$ a translation $\tau$, $\delta\circ\tau$ is always a rotation.
  4. For rotation $\delta\neq id$ and a reflection $\sigma$, $\delta\circ\sigma$ is never a reflection.
  5. There are the reflections $\sigma_1, \ldots , \sigma_{2017}$ with $\sigma_{2017}\circ\ldots \circ\sigma_2\circ\sigma_1=id$.
  6. A similitude mapping with exactly one fixed point is a scaling.
  7. Similitude mappings $\neq id$ with more than one fixed point are reflections.
  8. Affine mappings $\neq id$ with more than one fixed point are reflections.
  9. The composition of two rotations with rotation angle $a$ and $b$ is a rotation iff $a+b=k\cdot 2\pi, k\in \mathbb{Z}$.
  10. The composition of two rotations with rotation angle $a$ and $b$ with $a+b=\pi$ is a reflection along a point.
  11. If $ABC$ is a triangle, then the center of the incircle is a fixed point of $\sigma_{AB}\circ\sigma_{BC}$.
  12. For each line $g$ and each similitude mapping $\kappa$ it holds that $\kappa\circ\sigma\circ\kappa^{-1}=\sigma_{\kappa(g)}$.
For some of them I have an idea, for others I have some questions about definitions:

1. By odd do we mean that the reflected object is opposite from the original?
  2. I think that it holds, but I cannot justify it.
  3. The tranlation is $\tau (x,y)=(x+h,y+b)$ and the rotation by $\theta$ about the origin is $\delta(\vec x)=M\vec x,$ where $$M=\begin{bmatrix}\cos\theta & \sin\theta\\-\sin\theta & \cos\theta\end{bmatrix}.$$

We have that $$\delta \circ \tau(x,y)=M\tau(x,y)=\begin{bmatrix}\cos\theta & \sin\theta\\-\sin\theta & \cos\theta\end{bmatrix}\binom{x+h}{y+b}=\binom{(x+h)\cos \theta+(y+b)\sin \theta}{-(x+h)\sin \theta+(y+b)\cos \theta}$$

What do we get from here?
  4. I think that it can be, it depends on the angle of the rotation.
  5. If we had two reflections, it would be possible that the composition is the identity, right? Since in this case we have an odd number of compositions, do we have to check if $3$ compositions of reflections is the identity?

At a scaling the scaled object is parallel to the original, or not?

What eactly does it mean a similitude mapping with exactly one fixed point ? That all the similar objectos have exactly one intersection point? (Wondering)

7. I think it is correct, since the points will be then collinear, or not?

Unfortnunately, for the others I don't really have an idea. (Wondering)

Physics news on Phys.org
mathmari said:
  1. Each reflection along a line and each reflection along a point is odd.
  2. For the lines $g,h$ it holds that $\sigma_g\circ\sigma_h=\sigma_h\circ\sigma_g$ iff $g=h$.
  3. For a rotation $\delta\neq id$ a translation $\tau$, $\delta\circ\tau$ is always a rotation.
  4. For rotation $\delta\neq id$ and a reflection $\sigma$, $\delta\circ\sigma$ is never a reflection.

mathmari said:
  1. By odd do we mean that the reflected object is opposite from the original?
  2. I think that it holds, but I cannot justify it.
  3. The tranlation is $\tau (x,y)=(x+h,y+b)$ and the rotation by $\theta$ about the origin is $\delta(\vec x)=M\vec x,$ where $$M=\begin{bmatrix}\cos\theta & \sin\theta\\-\sin\theta & \cos\theta\end{bmatrix}.$$

We have that $$\delta \circ \tau(x,y)=M\tau(x,y)=\begin{bmatrix}\cos\theta & \sin\theta\\-\sin\theta & \cos\theta\end{bmatrix}\binom{x+h}{y+b}=\binom{(x+h)\cos \theta+(y+b)\sin \theta}{-(x+h)\sin \theta+(y+b)\cos \theta}$$

What do we get from here?

Hey mathmari! (Smile)

1. By 'odd' we mean an odd permutation.
It takes an even number of odd permutations to get an even permutation. And the identity is even.
Hint: what is the determinant of a reflection?

2. The composition of 2 reflections is a rotation. Suppose g and h have angle phi, which rotation will we get?
Hint: draw a picture.

3. When you say 'rotation' do you mean a rotation around the origin or not? That matters.

4. Consider the group of symmetries of the regular polygon $D_n$. That is known to you isn't it? What happens when we combine a reflection and a rotation?

I like Serena said:
It takes an even number of odd permutations to get an even permutation. And the identity is even.

The matrix for a reflection is orthogonal with determinant $-1$, right?

But what do we get from that?

When we P around the point Z with rotation angle 180°, then the points P, Z and P' are collinear. This rotation is equivalent to the reflection around the point Z, right?

Since a rotation is a composition of two reflections, we conclude that the reflection around a point is even, right?
I like Serena said:
2. The composition of 2 reflections is a rotation. Suppose g and h have angle phi, which rotation will we get?

I draw a pricture and the angle of rotation seems to be $2\phi$, because of the following:
View attachment 6982

We have that the angle between P and P'' is $a+a+b+b=(a+b)+(a+b)=\phi +\phi =2\phi$.

Is this correct? I saw now in some notes that it holds that $\sigma_g\circ\sigma_h\circ\sigma_g$ even when $g$ is perpendicular to $h$, since then both mappings are reflections along a point, and so the above statement is not correct. I haven't really understood that justification.

I like Serena said:
3. When you say 'rotation' do you mean a rotation around the origin or not? That matters.

There is no information about that.

I have an idea about that statement:

A translation followed by a rotation of θ is still a rotation by θ. This is because if we take two points a and b which are mapped to a′ and b′, then θ is the angle between the vectors b−a and b′−a′, and even though the second one are translated.

Is this correct? At a suggested solution there is the following justification why the statement is correct:

$\kappa=\sigma\circ\tau$ is an even congruence mapping, so a rotation or a translation. It cannot be a translation since then it would hold that $\sigma=\kappa\circ\tau^{-1}$ is a translation.

Why is $\kappa=\sigma\circ\tau$ an even congruence mapping? Are all the congruence mapping the rotations and the translations?
I like Serena said:
4. Consider the group of symmetries of the regular polygon $D_n$. That is known to you isn't it? What happens when we combine a reflection and a rotation?
We have that the rotation is a composition of two reflections. Therefore the composition of the rotation and the reflection is the composition of 3 reflections.

Is the composition of three reflections always a reflection?
According to the suggested solution, the statement is wrong, simce if the axis of the reflection passes through the center of rotation, then we have a reflection.
In that case the reflection that we get from the composition, we have the same axis as the initial reflection?
mathmari said:
5. There are the reflections $\sigma_1, \ldots , \sigma_{2017}$ with $\sigma_{2017}\circ\ldots \circ\sigma_2\circ\sigma_1=id$.

We have an odd number of permutations. Since the identity is even, the above equality cannot hold.

mathmari said:

That means that one point is unchanged. We have that similitude mapping are compositions of scalings and congruence mappings. Can it not be that the similitude mapping is the composition of scaling and rotation?
mathmari said:
7. Similitude mappings $\neq id$ with more than one fixed point are reflections.

According to the suggested solution we have the following:

The statement is correct. Since there are the two fixed points, the scaling factor is $1$, so we have a congruence mapping with two fixed points.

Could you explain this to me? I haven't understood that.
mathmari said:
8. Affine mappings $\neq id$ with more than one fixed point are reflections.

Affine mappings are of the form $\vec{x}'=M\vec{x}+\vec{v}$, right? By fixed point do we mean that $\vec{x}$ must be unchanged? Do we maybe take the identity matrix as M and the zero vector as $\vec{v}$ ?
mathmari said:
9. The composition of two rotations with rotation angle $a$ and $b$ is a rotation iff $a+b=k\cdot 2\pi, k\in \mathbb{Z}$.
I think that this statement is wrong. Isn't the justification wrong similar to the one of statement 2? From that picture the angles are 2a and 2b. The angle of the composition is then 2a+2b.

So, the composition is always a rotation with the angle the sum of the two angles, right? Using the rotation matrix we have the following:
The one rotation is $\vec{v}\mapsto M(a)\vec{v}$ and the other $\vec{w}\mapsto M(b)\vec{w}$. Their composition is defined as follows:
\begin{align*}M(a)M(b)\vec{w}&=\begin{pmatrix}\cos a & -\sin a \\ \sin a & \cos a \end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix}\cos b & -\sin b \\ \sin b & \cos b \end{pmatrix} \\ & =\begin{pmatrix}\cos a\cos b-\sin a \sin b& -\cos a\sin b-\sin a\cos b \\ \sin a\cos b+\cos a\sin b& -\sin a\sin b+\cos a\cos b \end{pmatrix} \\ & =\begin{pmatrix}\cos (a+b)& -\sin(a+b) \\ \sin (a+b)& \cos (a+b)\end{pmatrix}\end{align*}

So we get again a rotation without any constraint about the angle, right?
mathmari said:
10. The composition of two rotations with rotation angle $a$ and $b$ with $a+b=\pi$ is a reflection along a point.

When we P around the point Z with rotation angle 180°, then the points P, Z and P' are collinear. This rotation is equivalent to the reflection around the point Z. And we have that the composition of two rotations is a rotation with angle the sum of th two angles. Therefore, the statement is true.

Is this correct? According to the suggested solution we have the following:
$D(a)D(b)=D(\pi)=-I$
So, we have a mapping of the form $\vec{p}\mapsto -\vec{p}+v$.
This is a totation with $180^{\circ}$, so a reflection along a point. The center is $\vec{Z}=-\vec{Z}+v \Rightarrow 2\vec{Z}=\vec{v}$.
($\vec{P}\mapsto -I(\vec{p}-\vec{Z})+\vec{Z}=-\vec{p}+\vec{Z}+\vec{Z}$.

I haven't really understood that. Why do we have a mapping of the form $\vec{p}\mapsto -\vec{p}+v$ ? And why is that the center?
mathmari said:
11. If $ABC$ is a triangle, then the center of the incircle is a fixed point of $\sigma_{AB}\circ\sigma_{BC}$.
$\sigma_{AB}\circ\sigma_{BC}$ is the composition of two reflections of lines that have an intersection point. Isn't that point the fixed point? Or are the also other fixed points?

Attachments

• jn.png
    jn.png
    4.1 KB · Views: 51
Last edited by a moderator:
mathmari said:
I like Serena said:

The matrix for a reflection is orthogonal with determinant $-1$, right?

But what do we get from that?

When we P around the point Z with rotation angle 180°, then the points P, Z and P' are collinear. This rotation is equivalent to the reflection around the point Z, right?

Since a rotation is a composition of two reflections, we conclude that the reflection around a point is even, right?

Yes. And the determinant of a rotation and identity is $+1$.
So we can map any rotation and/or reflection to either +1 or -1 (the sign function).
-1 is odd, +1 is even.
To get to identity we need an even number of odd transformation.
Consequently the determinant of the composition is $(-1)^{\text{even number}} = +1$, which proves that a reflection is not even and therefore odd.

mathmari said:
I like Serena said:

I draw a pricture and the angle of rotation seems to be $2\phi$, because of the following:
View attachment 6982

We have that the angle between P and P'' is $a+a+b+b=(a+b)+(a+b)=\phi +\phi =2\phi$.

Is this correct?

Good!
If we apply $\sigma_h$ after $\sigma_g$ we rotate over $+2\phi$.
And if we apply $\sigma_g$ after $\sigma_h$ we rotate over $-2\phi$.
When will those rotations be the same? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
I like Serena said:

There is no information about that.

I have an idea about that statement:

A translation followed by a rotation of θ is still a rotation by θ. This is because if we take two points a and b which are mapped to a′ and b′, then θ is the angle between the vectors b−a and b′−a′, and even though the second one are translated.

Is this correct?

At a suggested solution there is the following justification why the statement is correct:

$\kappa=\sigma\circ\tau$ is an even congruence mapping, so a rotation or a translation. It cannot be a translation since then it would hold that $\sigma=\kappa\circ\tau^{-1}$ is a translation.

Why is $\kappa=\sigma\circ\tau$ an even congruence mapping? Are all the congruence mapping the rotations and the translations?

Now that we're talking about congruence mappings that basically confirms that we're not necessarily rotating around the origin.
In 2D the congruence mappings (the isometry group in 2 dimensions) are the translations, rotations, reflections, and glide reflections.

Reflections and glide reflections are odd (determinant -1), while translations and rotations and even.
Therefore a combination of a translation and a rotation is even, meaning it must be a translation or a rotation as well.

Your argument is not sufficient, since even though the angle is the same, we don't know yet if there is a unique center of the rotation. (Worried)
mathmari said:
I like Serena said:
We have that the rotation is a composition of two reflections. Therefore the composition of the rotation and the reflection is the composition of 3 reflections.

Is the composition of three reflections always a reflection?

According to the suggested solution, the statement is wrong, simce if the axis of the reflection passes through the center of rotation, then we have a reflection.
In that case the reflection that we get from the composition, we have the same axis as the initial reflection?

Yes, 3 reflections (or glide reflections) make a reflection (or a glide reflection).
Note that a general rotation (not around the origin) and a reflection typically make a glide reflection.

In the case that both reflection and rotation have the origin as a fixed point, then their composition will be a reflection (with the origin as fixed point), which indeeds contradicts the statement.I'm going to stop here if you don't mind. (Whew)
It's a bit too much otherwise - not too mention that this thread becomes hard to follow.
Perhaps we can put those other items in different threads? (Wondering)

I like Serena said:
Yes. And the determinant of a rotation and identity is $+1$.
So we can map any rotation and/or reflection to either +1 or -1 (the sign function).
-1 is odd, +1 is even.
To get to identity we need an even number of odd transformation.
Consequently the determinant of the composition is $(-1)^{\text{even number}} = +1$, which proves that a reflection is not even and therefore odd.

Ah ok!
I like Serena said:
Good!
If we apply $\sigma_h$ after $\sigma_g$ we rotate over $+2\phi$.
And if we apply $\sigma_g$ after $\sigma_h$ we rotate over $-2\phi$.
When will those rotations be the same? (Wondering)

It must hold $+2\phi=-2\phi \Rightarrow \phi =0$, or not? (Wondering)
I like Serena said:
Now that we're talking about congruence mappings that basically confirms that we're not necessarily rotating around the origin.
In 2D the congruence mappings (the isometry group in 2 dimensions) are the translations, rotations, reflections, and glide reflections.

Reflections and glide reflections are odd (determinant -1), while translations and rotations and even.
Therefore a combination of a translation and a rotation is even, meaning it must be a translation or a rotation as well.

Your argument is not sufficient, since even though the angle is the same, we don't know yet if there is a unique center of the rotation. (Worried)
Ah ok I see!
I like Serena said:
Yes, 3 reflections (or glide reflections) make a reflection (or a glide reflection).
Note that a general rotation (not around the origin) and a reflection typically make a glide reflection.

In the case that both reflection and rotation have the origin as a fixed point, then their composition will be a reflection (with the origin as fixed point), which indeeds contradicts the statement.

A glide reflection is a composition of a reflection and a translation, right?

So, only when the line along which we reflect passes through the origin, and the rotation has the center at the origin, the compoosition is a reflection. Otherwise we get a glide reflection. Have I understood it correctly? (Wondering)
I like Serena said:
I'm going to stop here if you don't mind. (Whew)
It's a bit too much otherwise - not too mention that this thread becomes hard to follow.
Perhaps we can put those other items in different threads? (Wondering)
Ok, I will make a new thread.

mathmari said:
It must hold $+2\phi=-2\phi \Rightarrow \phi =0$, or not?

Shouldn't that be $+2\phi=-2\phi + 2\pi k$? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
A glide reflection is a composition of a reflection and a translation, right?

So, only when the line along which we reflect passes through the origin, and the rotation has the center at the origin, the compoosition is a reflection. Otherwise we get a glide reflection. Have I understood it correctly? (Wondering)

Actually, a reflection in a line that is not through the origin is also a reflection.
This is what a glide reflection looks like (reflection followed by translation):
View attachment 6983

Attachments

• 200px-Glide_reflection.svg.png
    200px-Glide_reflection.svg.png
    666 bytes · Views: 56
I like Serena said:
Shouldn't that be $+2\phi=-2\phi + 2\pi k$? (Wondering)

Why is it like that? (Wondering)
I like Serena said:
Actually, a reflection in a line that is not through the origin is also a reflection.

So, the difference is whether the rotation is at the origin or not? Or how can we know if we have reflection or glide reflection? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
Why is it like that? (Wondering)

Isn't the rotation over $\frac\pi 6$ the same as a rotation over $\frac\pi 6 + 2\pi$ or a rotation over $\frac\pi 6 + 4\pi$?
The points will be mapped to the same points won't they? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
So, the difference is whether the rotation is at the origin or not? Or how can we know if we have reflection or glide reflection? (Wondering)

The fixed points of a reflection form a line.
A translation and a glide reflection have no fixed points. (Thinking)

I like Serena said:
Isn't the rotation over $\frac\pi 6$ the same as a rotation over $\frac\pi 6 + 2\pi$ or a rotation over $\frac\pi 6 + 4\pi$?
The points will be mapped to the same points won't they? (Wondering)
Ahh yes (Blush)
I like Serena said:
The fixed points of a reflection form a line.
A translation and a glide reflection have no fixed points. (Thinking)

So, if there are fixed points we have reflections and if not there are glide reflections, right?

We have that a rotation is a composition of two reflections. So, we have three reflections. If the lines of the reflections have an intersection point, this will be the fixed point, and then we have reflection. If the lines are parallel, we have glide reflection.

Is this correct? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
Ahh yes (Blush)

So for which $\phi$ will the rotations be the same? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
So, if there are fixed points we have reflections and if not there are glide reflections, right?

What? Wait! (Wait)
Don't rotations and the identity also have fixed points?

mathmari said:
We have that a rotation is a composition of two reflections. So, we have three reflections. If the lines of the reflections have an intersection point, this will be the fixed point, and then we have reflection. If the lines are parallel, we have glide reflection.

Huh? :confused:

If the lines of 2 reflections are parallel, their composition will again be a reflection, wouldn't it?

I like Serena said:
So for which $\phi$ will the rotations be the same? (Wondering)

So, we get that \begin{equation*}+2\phi=-2\phi + 2\pi k \Rightarrow 4\phi= 2\pi k \Rightarrow \phi = \frac{k\pi}{2}\end{equation*} So, either the lines are perpendicular when $k$ is odd or parallel then $k$ is even, right?
I like Serena said:
What? Wait! (Wait)
Don't rotations and the identity also have fixed points?

Huh? :confused:

If the lines of 2 reflections are parallel, their composition will again be a reflection, wouldn't it?

I got stuck... If the lines of 2 reflections are parallel, their composition will again be a reflection. Then if we have three lines of 3 reflections, then the two of them make a reflection, and so we have again two lines of reflection, and we again a reflection?

But when do we get a glide reflection? At whch case? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
So, we get that \begin{equation*}+2\phi=-2\phi + 2\pi k \Rightarrow 4\phi= 2\pi k \Rightarrow \phi = \frac{k\pi}{2}\end{equation*} So, either the lines are perpendicular when $k$ is odd or parallel then $k$ is even, right?

Yep.
So statement 2 is false.

mathmari said:
I got stuck... If the lines of 2 reflections are parallel, their composition will again be a reflection. Then if we have three lines of 3 reflections, then the two of them make a reflection, and so we have again two lines of reflection, and we again a reflection?

But when do we get a glide reflection? At which case? (Wondering)

My mistake. 2 parallel reflections make a translation.
A reflection and a translation make a glide reflection.

I like Serena said:
My mistake. 2 parallel reflections make a translation.
A reflection and a translation make a glide reflection.

So, if we have the composition of 3 reflections, and at least two of the lines are parallel, then we have a reflection and a translation, so a glide reflection, right?

Does the third line must also be parallel or can it also have an intersection point with the other two? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
So, if we have the composition of 3 reflections, and at least two of the lines are parallel, then we have a reflection and a translation, so a glide reflection, right?

Does the third line must also be parallel or can it also have an intersection point with the other two?

Only (in general) if 2 consecutive reflections have parallel lines. So the first or the last can have a line intersecting the other two. (Thinking)

I like Serena said:
Only (in general) if 2 consecutive reflections have parallel lines. So the first or the last can have a line intersecting the other two. (Thinking)

We have the the reflection $\sigma$ along the line through the points $(4,1)$ and $(5,-3)$ and the rotation $\delta$ with rotation angle $\frac{\pi}{3}$ about the point $(-1,-1)$.

I want to check if $\sigma\circ\delta$ and $\delta\circ\sigma$ are reflections or glide reflections.

We have that a rotation is a composition of two reflections.

Therefore both $\sigma\circ\delta$ and $\delta\circ\sigma$ are a product of three reflections.

To check if we have a reflection or a glide reflection, we have to check if the reflection lines are parallel or not.

If they are not parallel does the one line passes through the fixed point of the rotation, i.e. the center of the rotation?

mathmari said:
We have the the reflection $\sigma$ along the line through the points $(4,1)$ and $(5,-3)$ and the rotation $\delta$ with rotation angle $\frac{\pi}{3}$ about the point $(-1,-1)$.

I want to check if $\sigma\circ\delta$ and $\delta\circ\sigma$ are reflections or glide reflections.

We have that a rotation is a composition of two reflections.

Therefore both $\sigma\circ\delta$ and $\delta\circ\sigma$ are a product of three reflections.

To check if we have a reflection or a glide reflection, we have to check if the reflection lines are parallel or not.

If they are not parallel does the one line passes through the fixed point of the rotation, i.e. the center of the rotation?

We can choose to divide the rotation into any 2 reflections we want under certain conditions. (Thinking)

Let's write $\delta = \sigma_2 \circ \sigma_1$.
This will be a rotation by $\frac{\pi}{3}$ about the point $(-1,-1)$ if the lines of $\sigma_1$ and $\sigma_2$ intersect at $(-1,-1)$, and if the angle between the lines is $\frac{\pi}{6}$ (in the right direction).

Then $\sigma\circ\delta$ = $\sigma\circ\sigma_2 \circ \sigma_1$.
Let's pick the lines of $\sigma$ and $\sigma_2$ to be parallel, then $\tau=\sigma\circ\sigma_2$ is a translation that is at an angle with the line of $\sigma_1$.
And thus $\sigma\circ\delta$ is a glide reflection. (Nerd)

I like Serena said:
Let's write $\delta = \sigma_2 \circ \sigma_1$.
This will be a rotation by $\frac{\pi}{3}$ about the point $(-1,-1)$ if the lines of $\sigma_1$ and $\sigma_2$ intersect at $(-1,-1)$, and if the angle between the lines is $\frac{\pi}{6}$ (in the right direction).

Then $\sigma\circ\delta$ = $\sigma\circ\sigma_2 \circ \sigma_1$.
Let's pick the lines of $\sigma$ and $\sigma_2$ to be parallel, then $\tau=\sigma\circ\sigma_2$ is a translation that is at an angle with the line of $\sigma_1$.
And thus $\sigma\circ\delta$ is a glide reflection. (Nerd)
Do we consider that the lines of $\sigma$ and $\sigma_2$ are parallel or do we know that they are? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
Do we consider that the lines of $\sigma$ and $\sigma_2$ are parallel or do we know that they are? (Wondering)

We have the freedom to choose the line of $\sigma_2$, and we choose it to be parallel to $\sigma$.
Consequently the line of $\sigma_1$ is fixed at an angle of $\frac\pi 6$ with $\sigma_2$.

I like Serena said:
We have the freedom to choose the line of $\sigma_2$, and we choose it to be parallel to $\sigma$.
Consequently the line of $\sigma_1$ is fixed at an angle of $\frac\pi 6$ with $\sigma_2$.

I understand!

Let $\sigma$ be a reflection and $\lambda$ a glide reflection. Since a glide reflection is a composition of a reflection and a translation, the composition $\sigma\circ\lambda$ is a composition of two reflections and one translation.
If the two reflection lines are parallel, then the composition of the two reflections is a translation, and so $\sigma\circ\lambda$ is a composition of two translations, which is a point reflection.
If the two reflection lines are not parallel, then the composition of the two reflections is a reflection, and so $\sigma\circ\lambda$ is a composition of a reflection and a translation, which is a glide reflection.

Is everything correct? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
I understand!

Let $\sigma$ be a reflection and $\lambda$ a glide reflection. Since a glide reflection is a composition of a reflection and a translation, the composition $\sigma\circ\lambda$ is a composition of two reflections and one translation.
If the two reflection lines are parallel, then the composition of the two reflections is a translation, and so $\sigma\circ\lambda$ is a composition of two translations, which is a point reflection.

Don't two translations make a translation?
Note that a point reflection in 2D is actually a rotation by 180 degrees.

mathmari said:
If the two reflection lines are not parallel, then the composition of the two reflections is a reflection, and so $\sigma\circ\lambda$ is a composition of a reflection and a translation, which is a glide reflection.

Don't 2 angled reflections make a rotation? (Wondering)

I like Serena said:
Don't two translations make a translation?
Note that a point reflection in 2D is actually a rotation by 180 degrees.
Don't 2 angled reflections make a rotation? (Wondering)
Ahh ok (Nerd)

Therefore we have the following:

We have that the composition $\sigma\circ\lambda$ is a composition of two reflections and one translation.

If the two reflection lines are parallel, then the composition of the two reflections is a translation, and so $\sigma\circ\lambda$ is a composition of two translations, which is a translation.

If the two reflection lines are not parallel, then the composition of the two reflections is a rotation, and so $\sigma\circ\lambda$ is a composition of a rotation and a translation, which is a rotation.

Is this correct? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
Ahh ok

Therefore we have the following:

We have that the composition $\sigma\circ\lambda$ is a composition of two reflections and one translation.

If the two reflection lines are parallel, then the composition of the two reflections is a translation, and so $\sigma\circ\lambda$ is a composition of two translations, which is a translation.

If the two reflection lines are not parallel, then the composition of the two reflections is a rotation, and so $\sigma\circ\lambda$ is a composition of a rotation and a translation, which is a rotation.

Is this correct?

Yep! All correct. (Happy)

I like Serena said:
Yep! All correct. (Happy)

Ok! Thank you so much! (Mmm)

1. Are the statements based on reliable sources?

Yes, as a scientist, it is crucial to base all statements on reliable sources such as peer-reviewed research studies, reputable scientific organizations, and reliable data.

2. How can we verify the accuracy of the statements?

The accuracy of a statement can be verified by cross-checking it with multiple credible sources and examining the evidence and data supporting it. Additionally, seeking expert opinions and conducting further research can also help verify the accuracy of a statement.

3. Can the statements be proven through experimentation?

It depends on the nature of the statements. Some statements, especially those in the field of science, can be tested and proven through experimentation. However, not all statements can be scientifically tested and proven.

4. Should we accept the statements as absolute truths?

No, as a scientist, it is essential to constantly question and challenge existing knowledge and theories. While the statements may be based on reliable sources and evidence, they should always be open to further investigation and revision as new information becomes available.

5. Are the statements biased in any way?

As a scientist, it is crucial to present information objectively and without bias. However, it is essential to consider that bias can exist in many forms, and it is essential to critically evaluate the sources and evidence used to support the statements.