Exploring Reynolds Vortices: Fact or Fiction?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of Reynolds Vortices mentioned in a belletristic book. The author writes about these vortices being generated in whitewater and objects with a critical density being able to pass through them in one direction. However, after a quick search, the participants of the conversation were not able to find any information about these vortices. They speculate that the author may have invented this concept for the sake of their story. They also mention that writers often borrow terms and names from physics for literary effect.
stockzahn
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dear all,

recently I read in a belletristic book about Reynolds Vortices. In the fictitious story the author writes about special (Reynolds) vortices generated in the whitewater, which can be passed in only one direction by objects of a "critical" density, which then will be kept in the vortex as long as it exists. Objects with densities deviating from this density can leave it (again).

I've never heard about this phenomenon until then and also after a quick search in the internet I couldn't find any information about these vortices. Does anybody know about these Reynolds vortices (maybe there is a different name) or is it just made up by the author in his story?

Thanks in advance,
stockzahn

Physics news on Phys.org
I can honestly say I've never heard of the concept over the course of my adventures in fluid mechanics. That doesn't mean it doesn't exist, but it's certainly not a very well-known phenomenon if it does.

Likes stockzahn
Literature requires different analytical tools from technical documents. While not familiar with this author, "whitewater" invokes both beauty and dynamism typical to belle lettres stories. The reader (or characters, the post is limited) exist poised at the interface of water and atmosphere presumably at the surface.

Reynolds (number) is a convenient indicator of smooth, potentially guiding fluid flow, becoming turbulent "whitewater", thus a dimensionless symbol of movement, change. The vortices could refer to von Karman vortex streets that represent difficulties or obstructions that arise in the flow as the plot progresses. "Critical density" could refer to knowledge and reasoning overcoming perceived obstacles (vortices) to smooth flow. I'd need to read the book for further analysis.

Generally, writers like to borrow terms and names from physics then concatenate them for literary effect. Einstein intersection (Chip Delaney), Von Neumann machines (Arthur Clark), and now Reynolds vortex (uncited).

Last edited:
Thank you very much for your responses. Since nobody seemed to know about Reynolds Vortices, I wrote an e-mail to the author of the book and he, quite surprisingly, promptly replied. He admitted that he made up this kind of vortices he "needed" for his story.

@Klystron: For sake of completeness of your list: Reynolds Vortex (Joerg Maurer).

Likes Klystron
stockzahn said:
Thank you very much for your responses. Since nobody seemed to know about Reynolds Vortices, I wrote an e-mail to the author of the book and he, quite surprisingly, promptly replied. He admitted that he made up this kind of vortices he "needed" for his story.
To get really known as a scientist, you need to have cool sci-fi stuff named after you, not just some number.

stockzahn said:

@Klystron: For sake of completeness of your list: Reynolds Vortex (Joerg Maurer).

Thanks for the information. It seems as if the author succeeded as a writer in that you were motivated to ask the question. I chose von Karman vortices as an example in part because of the beauty in their representation on screen. Unlike the classical whirlpool representation "Scylla and Charybdis" from Homer's Odyssey, a vortex street appears in a fluid when physical conditions lead to that formation not only above rock formations as in the Straits of Messina.
upload_2019-1-11_12-8-44.jpeg
Johann_Heinrich_F%C3%BCssli_054.jpg

Attachments

• upload_2019-1-11_12-8-44.jpeg
    upload_2019-1-11_12-8-44.jpeg
    9.1 KB · Views: 317
  • Johann_Heinrich_F%C3%BCssli_054.jpg
    Johann_Heinrich_F%C3%BCssli_054.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 321

1. What are Reynolds vortices?

Reynolds vortices are a type of turbulent flow pattern that occurs when a fluid, such as air or water, flows over a solid surface. They are characterized by swirling, rotating structures that form as a result of the interaction between the fluid and the surface.

2. Are Reynolds vortices a real phenomenon?

Yes, Reynolds vortices are a well-documented and observed phenomenon in fluid mechanics. They were first described by physicist Osborne Reynolds in the late 19th century and have since been studied extensively in both experimental and theoretical research.

3. What causes Reynolds vortices to form?

Reynolds vortices are caused by a combination of factors, including the shape and roughness of the surface, the speed and viscosity of the fluid, and the angle of attack at which the fluid flows over the surface. These factors create areas of high and low pressure, which in turn lead to the formation of vortices.

4. Can Reynolds vortices be seen in nature?

Yes, Reynolds vortices can be seen in nature in a variety of settings, including in rivers and streams, in the atmosphere as clouds, and in the wakes of objects moving through air or water. They are also commonly observed in laboratory experiments using smoke or dye visualization techniques.

5. How are Reynolds vortices relevant to everyday life?

Reynolds vortices have important practical applications in fields such as aerodynamics, hydrodynamics, and meteorology. They are also relevant to everyday life in areas such as fluid flow in pipes and ventilation systems, the design of aircraft and ships, and the prediction of weather patterns.