Exploring the Analogy of a Pond to Understand Quantum Physics

In summary, the conversation discussed the mystery of missing mass in the universe and whether it could be explained by an entity that allows light and electromagnetic radiation to travel through space similar to how water behaves in a pond. The possibility of dark matter and dark energy was also mentioned as potential explanations for the missing mass. The conversation also touched on the history of dark matter theories and the role of spacetime in the expansion of the universe.
buckrogers
As a novice to Quantum physics and as a working physicist in the oil industry this may be a stupid question but I find the whole subject of quantum physics fascinating.

I have been pondering the missing mass in the universe and particle vs wave argument and came across a nice description using the analogy of a pond. If I throw a stone into a pond I get both a wave that propogates out from the point of impact as well as particle motion due to the motion of the molecules of water.

So my question is. Is the missing mass in the Universe an entity that allows light and electromagnetic radiation to travel through space much like water behaves in a pond when a stone is thrown in thus light and electromagnetic radiation behave like a wave and a particle?

Physics news on Phys.org
buckrogers said:
As a novice to Quantum physics and as a working physicist in the oil industry this may be a stupid question but I find the whole subject of quantum physics fascinating.

There are no stupid questions, only stupid people. [Sorry, I really like that joke.] As a working physicist, you're not stupid.

buckrogers said:
I have been pondering the missing mass in the universe and particle vs wave argument and came across a nice description using the analogy of a pond. If I throw a stone into a pond I get both a wave that propogates out from the point of impact as well as particle motion due to the motion of the molecules of water.

So my question is. Is the missing mass in the Universe an entity that allows light and electromagnetic radiation to travel through space much like water behaves in a pond when a stone is thrown in thus light and electromagnetic radiation behave like a wave and a particle?

I just did an arXiv search for "dark matter" in the 2009 abstracts. There were so many hits the server would "only" display 1000 of them. Despite all this activity, there isn't even agreement as to whether there really IS any "missing mass," i.e., some theories account for the observations by changing the theory of gravity instead of adding matter, e.g., MOND and GR with torsion. So, as of now, there's no agreed upon resolution to the mystery of dark or missing matter in the universe.

This is not the first time astronomers have proposed the existence of dark matter, btw. Using Newtonian gravity and extra matter inside the orbit of Mercury you can account for its perihelion precession (e.g., problem 49, p 153, Mechanics, 3rd ed, by Keith Symon, Addison-Wesley, Reading, MA, (1971), ISBN 0-201-07392-7), so some astronomers were trying to find that dark matter before general relativity solved the problem by changing the theory of gravity. Anomalies in the ephemeris of Uranus led astronomers to speculate on dark matter in the form of a new planet which led to the discovery of Neptune. So, according to history, we might infer the current mystery of dark matter could be resolved either way.

buckrogers said:

Perhaps! It sounds like you're saying that space itself might be acting like the water of a pond. That's one way to describe it. Some think that there is some energy to spacetime itself. They call it dark energy which causes the universe to expand.

friend said:
Perhaps! It sounds like you're saying that space itself might be acting like the water of a pond. That's one way to describe it. Some think that there is some energy to spacetime itself. They call it dark energy which causes the universe to expand.

No, that would be the aether hypothesis, which Einstein's special relativity abolished in 1905.
RUTA was correct in mentioning dark, non-baryonic matter (what's interesting is the suggestion that there was an unknown dark matter explination proposed a century ago. I learn something new every day on this forum! :) )

Related to Exploring the Analogy of a Pond to Understand Quantum Physics

1. What is the analogy of a pond in relation to quantum physics?

The analogy of a pond is used to help explain the concept of quantum superposition, which is the idea that a particle can exist in multiple states or locations at the same time. Just like how a pond can have ripples and waves that overlap and interact with each other, particles in quantum physics can also have multiple states that overlap and interact.

2. How does the analogy of a pond help in understanding quantum entanglement?

Quantum entanglement is the phenomenon where two particles become connected in such a way that the state of one particle affects the state of the other, even when they are separated by large distances. The analogy of a pond can help us understand this by imagining two stones that are thrown into the pond at the same time and create ripples that are connected and interact with each other, even when they are far apart.

3. What are some limitations of the analogy of a pond in explaining quantum physics?

While the analogy of a pond can be helpful in visualizing some aspects of quantum physics, it is important to remember that it is just an analogy and does not accurately represent all the complexities and nuances of quantum mechanics. For example, the ripples in a pond are easily observable and measurable, whereas in quantum physics, the behavior of particles is often unpredictable and can only be described by probabilities.

4. How does the analogy of a pond relate to the uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty principle, one of the key principles of quantum physics, states that the more precisely we know the position of a particle, the less we know about its momentum, and vice versa. In the analogy of a pond, this can be compared to trying to accurately measure the location and speed of a single ripple, which is impossible due to the constantly changing and overlapping nature of the waves.

5. Can the analogy of a pond be used to explain other concepts in quantum physics?

Yes, the analogy of a pond can be extended to explain other concepts in quantum physics, such as tunneling, where a particle can pass through a barrier that it classically should not be able to. This can be compared to a wave in a pond passing through a small gap between rocks, even though classically it should not be able to. However, it is important to remember that the analogy may not fully capture all the complexities of these concepts and should be used as a tool for visualization rather than a complete explanation.