Exploring the Conditions for Evaluating Commutators with Fermionic Operators

In summary: What are the most general conditions that allows to use this simple trick to evaluate commutators? Or at least to find a theorem that rules this sort of things. The most general condition is that the commutator is linear and satisfies the Leibniz product rule. But, as I mentioned, this is a pretty general requirement and there are many functions which satisfy it, even without using the derivative trick.
thetafilippo
I found a theorem that states that if A and B are 2 endomorphism that satisfies $$[A,[A,B]]=[B,[A,B]]=0$$ then $$[A,F(B)]=[A,B]F'(B)=[A,B]\frac{\partial F(B)}{\partial B}$$.

Now I'm trying to apply this result using the creation and annihilation fermionics operators $$B=C_k^+$$ and $$A=C_k$$ and the simple diagonal hamiltonian $$F(\not C_k,C_k^+)=H=\sum_k \hbar \omega_k C_k^+C_k$$.

Now i check if my operators satisfies the hypothesis of the theorem and i get
$$[A,[A,B]]=[C_k,[C_k,C_k^+]]=-2C_k$$
$$[B,[A,B]]=[C_k^+,[C_k,C_k^+]]=+2C_k^+$$
Evidently
$$0\neq[A,[A,B]]\neq[B,[A,B]]\neq0$$,

However thinking at the hamiltonian H as a function of the creation operator only and applying the theorem directly

$$[C_k,H]=[C_k,C_k^+]\frac{\partial F(\not C_k,C_k^+)}{\partial C_k^+}=\hbar\omega_kC_k$$,

that is the right result for the commutator, evaluated without using this theorem.

So how i can interpret this fact? Why this works? What I'm missing between the theorem and this application?
In the calculation i think at H as a function only of the creation operator, is correct in this case?

I'd like to know what are the most general conditions that allows to use this simple trick to evaluate commutators. Or at least to find a theorem that rules this sort of things. Could anyone help me to understand?

Physics news on Phys.org
So, fermion operators anti-commute. The theorem is stated in terms of commutators.

##\{C,C^\dagger\} = CC^\dagger + C^\dagger C = 1##

Therefore

##[C,C^\dagger] = CC^\dagger - C^\dagger C = 2CC^\dagger##

Apparently

##[C,[C,C^\dagger]] = 2C \ne 0##

I show that in my post, i know. The questions are:
-Why the derivative works, in this case, and provide the correct result for the commutator between the creation operator and the hamiltonian?
- What are the most general conditions that allows to use this simple trick to evaluate commutators? Or at least to find a theorem that rules this sort of things.

Really?

##[C_k,C_k^{\dagger}]\frac{\partial F(C_k,C_k^{\dagger})}{\partial C_k^{\dagger}} = 2\hbar\omega_k C_k C_k^{\dagger}C_k##

Doesn't seem to work for me?

Ah, I see one step missing. I'm still off by a factor of 2.

Try proving the theorem for
## [A,\{A,B\}] = [B,\{A,B\}] = 0##

Last edited:
thetafilippo said:
What are the most general conditions that allows to use this simple trick to evaluate commutators? Or at least to find a theorem that rules this sort of things.
Start with commutators only, i.e., bosonic c/a operators. It turns out that the derivative "trick" works for a very large class of functions, i.e., $$[a, f(a^*)] ~\propto~ f'(a^*) ~.$$ The underlying "reason" why it works (afaict) is because the commutator is (bi)linear and satisfies the Leibniz product rule (which I mentioned in another thread recently). These are 2 key properties of ordinary derivatives. Moreover, the "operator" ##[a, ?]## acting on ##a^*## gives an ordinary number, i.e., reduces the "power" of ##a^*##, which is also what a derivative does.

If you search through old threads about this subject you'll find some by me where I explain how to extend the result from simple polynomial functions to general analytic functions.

Edit: here's the thread I was thinking of.

-Why the derivative works, in this case, and provide the correct result for the commutator between the creation operator and the hamiltonian?
For fermionic operators (satisfying anticommutators) you've just got to work it out explicitly -- which should be relatively easy since the complexity of the function ##f## is now severely restricted by properties like ##a^2 = 0 = (a^*)^2##.

Last edited:
Likes Paul Colby

1. What are fermionic operators?

Fermionic operators are mathematical objects used in quantum mechanics to represent fermions, which are particles with half-integer spin. They follow the rules of anti-commutation, meaning that when two fermionic operators are swapped, the resulting value is negative.

2. What is the purpose of evaluating commutators with fermionic operators?

Evaluating commutators with fermionic operators allows us to study the behavior of fermionic systems and understand how they interact with each other. This is important in fields such as condensed matter physics, quantum computing, and particle physics.

3. How do we evaluate commutators with fermionic operators?

The commutator of two operators A and B is defined as [A, B] = AB - BA. To evaluate this with fermionic operators, we use the anti-commutation rules to rearrange the operators in a way that simplifies the calculation. This can be done using the properties of the Pauli matrices or the ladder operators for fermionic systems.

4. What are the conditions for evaluating commutators with fermionic operators?

The main condition for evaluating commutators with fermionic operators is that the operators must be anti-commuting. This means that they must follow the rule {A, B} = AB + BA = 0. Additionally, the operators must be well-defined and have a finite number of states.

5. What are the applications of exploring the conditions for evaluating commutators with fermionic operators?

Studying the conditions for evaluating commutators with fermionic operators has many practical applications. It can help us understand the behavior of fermionic systems in various fields such as quantum computing, condensed matter physics, and particle physics. It also allows us to develop new mathematical techniques and tools for solving complex problems involving fermionic systems.