Exploring the Connection between Planck Scale Mass and Gravity

In summary, Lisa Randall discusses the connection between Planck scale mass and gravity in her book "Warped Passages." She explains that the strength of gravity is inversely proportional to the second power of the Planck scale energy, meaning that a larger Planck mass results in weaker gravity. This relationship is not just speculation, but is supported by the formula for the force between two masses at long distances. Randall also addresses the concept of a Plank scale mass and its potential influence on virtual particles and the Higgs field. A layman's speculation about the uniqueness of the Plank mass and its possible role in the base of all common particles is also mentioned.
rogerl
Lisa Randall's states in the book "Warped Passages" dealing with the Hierarchy Problem:

"The Plank scale energy determines the strength of gravitational interactions...the strength is inversely proportional to the second power of that energy...A huge Plank scale mass is equivalent to extremely feeble gravity."

What's the connection between Planck scale mass and gravity? Why is that when the former is huge, the latter should be extremely feeble?? They are inversely proportional. Is this a definite connection or just a conjecture or speculation?

Physics news on Phys.org
The Planck mass is defined as [tex]M_p=\sqrt{\frac{\hbar c}{G}[/tex]. If gravity would be stronger [tex]G[/tex] gets larger which in turn makes [tex]M_p[/tex] smaller. I'm not sure how the gravitational constant would vary more exact, but I would guess that this would be seen as some kind of "running couling constant" of gravity, similar to other forces (where the coupling is not constant).

kloptok said:
The Planck mass is defined as [tex]M_p=\sqrt{\frac{\hbar c}{G}[/tex]. If gravity would be stronger [tex]G[/tex] gets larger which in turn makes [tex]M_p[/tex] smaller. I'm not sure how the gravitational constant would vary more exact, but I would guess that this would be seen as some kind of "running couling constant" of gravity, similar to other forces (where the coupling is not constant).

But what's the proof that gravity is inversely proportional to mass. How is the formula derived. Couldn't it be just an speculation or conjecture like how a Planck black hole behave? meaning if there is no Planck black hole, then the formula is wrong?

rogerl said:
But what's the proof that gravity is inversely proportional to mass. How is the formula derived. Couldn't it be just an speculation or conjecture like how a Planck black hole behave? meaning if there is no Planck black hole, then the formula is wrong?

At long distances, gravity is well described by Newton's law. Using the relationship between the gravitational constant and [tex]M_p[/tex], we can write the force between two masses as

[tex]F(r) = \frac{\hbar c}{r^2} \frac{m_1m_2}{M_p^2}.[/tex]

If we were somehow able to vary [tex]M_p[/tex], it's easy to see that as [tex]M_p[/tex] gets larger, the force gets smaller.

This argument does not depend on any sort of speculation about black holes or quantum gravity.

I'm rereading Lisa Randall Warped Passage. So is the Planck scale mass real? Is there really a particle that is Planck scale mass? How come she worried that it may contribute to virtual particles that is Planck scale mass in the Higgs if there is no such thing as Planck scale mass in the first place?

I would like to tell a speculation from a layman about Plank mass.
The energy of plank mass after Newton is it E = G Mp^2 / Rp, but strange enough that the
mass in this case is E / C^2 =Mp = G*Mp^2 / Rp*C^2. This is unique only for Plank mass, and open the door for speculation. If we supose that "mass" and "mater" are two different notions, that have common the unity of measure(gr,Kg.) but that occupy different posts in physics, we my speculate that the "Plank mater" stay in the base of all common particles via:
mx. = G*Mp^2 / Rxcompton* C^2 . Am i wrong?

1. What is the Planck scale mass?

The Planck scale mass is the smallest possible mass that can exist in the universe according to the theory of quantum mechanics. It is equal to approximately 2.176 x 10^-8 kilograms.

2. How does the Planck scale mass relate to gravity?

The Planck scale mass is closely related to the concept of Planck scale gravity, which is the theoretical maximum strength of gravity that can exist in the universe. This is because the Planck scale mass and the Planck scale gravity are both derived from the Planck constant, a fundamental physical constant.

3. What is the significance of the Planck scale in physics?

The Planck scale is significant because it represents the scale at which the effects of quantum mechanics and gravity are both equally important. It is the scale at which scientists believe our current understanding of physics breaks down and new theories are needed to explain the behavior of matter and energy.

4. Can the Planck scale mass and gravity be observed or measured?

Currently, the Planck scale mass and gravity are purely theoretical concepts and cannot be directly observed or measured. However, scientists are working on experiments and theories that may one day allow us to explore this scale of the universe.

5. How does the Planck scale relate to other fundamental scales in physics?

The Planck scale is considered to be one of the most fundamental scales in physics, along with the speed of light, the Planck length, and the Planck time. These fundamental scales are thought to be interconnected and play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of the universe at the smallest scales.