Exploring the Controversy Around the Axiom of Choice

In summary, the axiom of choice is an independent axiom that is not necessarily controversial, but can lead to counter-intuitive results such as the Banach-Tarski Paradox. It is often considered useful in mathematics but can also allow for the existence of non-measurable sets. The Banach-Tarski Paradox requires the existence of uncountably many atoms, although this term is used in a mathematical sense and does not refer to real-world atoms. The paradox also involves an infinite amount of choices, making it impossible to replicate in the real world.
WWGD said:
How would you deal with numbers like ## e, \pi ## , which are not "made in a lab " (i.e., they come about from "real world" scenarios/situations)? Would you approximate them by Rationals to the needed level of accuracy?
You can do that, or just work out which constants you care about (##e, \pi, \sqrt2, \log2## etc) and consider the field extension over the rationals. This is what computer algebra systems do.

Physics news on Phys.org
gill1109 said:
For most of practical mathematics, the axiom of countable choice is quite enough to do everything you want to do. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axiom_of_countable_choice
If I understood it correctly, with axiom of countable choice (ACC) there is no Banach-Taraski theorem/paradox. It looks like a good reason to use only ACC, and not the standard AC. Or is there a good example of some practical mathematics for which we still need the full standard AC?

Demystifier said:
If I understood it correctly, with axiom of countable choice (ACC) there is no Banach-Taraski theorem/paradox. It looks like a good reason to use only ACC, and not the standard AC. Or is there a good example of some practical mathematics for which we still need the full standard AC?

Define practical mathematics.

micromass said:
Define practical mathematics.
A tentative answer: Any branch of mathematics except logic, set theory, and category theory. :biggrin:

Or let me reformulate my question. Is there a theorem which (unlike Banach-Tarski) most mathematicians find intuitively appealing, and which can be proved by AC, but not by ACC?

The axiom of choice is equivalent to saying that every vector space has a basis. Does that answer your question?

Likes Demystifier
micromass said:
The axiom of choice is equivalent to saying that every vector space has a basis. Does that answer your question?
Oh yes, that's great!
Is then ACC equivalent to saying that every separable vector space has a basis? Or something like that?

Uh well, what does "separable vector space mean"? I don't think a vector space has a canonical topology in infinite dimensions.

Other equivalenties:
1) Tychonoff theorem: the product of compact spaces is compact (the definition of compact matters here: here it is that every open cover has a finite subcover).
2) Every nontrivial unital ring has a maximal ideal.
3) Perhaps set theoretic but still: every product of sets is nonempty.

There are entire books written on these subject (including my thesis, I guess). So do ask if you want to know more.

Likes pbuk
pwsnafu said:
You can do that, or just work out which constants you care about (##e, \pi, \sqrt2, \log2## etc) and consider the field extension over the rationals. This is what computer algebra systems do.
But I think GlaucousNoise was referring to the theoretical need for the existence of Irrationals.

So this is a case where one should listen to what you mean, not what you say? :wink:

Likes Demystifier
micromass said:
Other equivalenties:
1) Tychonoff theorem: the product of compact spaces is compact (the definition of compact matters here: here it is that every open cover has a finite subcover).
2) Every nontrivial unital ring has a maximal ideal.
3) Perhaps set theoretic but still: every product of sets is nonempty.

There are entire books written on these subject (including my thesis, I guess). So do ask if you want to know more.
That reminded me of a problem that I had in mathematical physics:
The integral can be thought of as precise way to define a continuous sum of uncountably many terms.
Is there a precise way to define a continuous product of an uncountable many terms? (I mean, without explicitly using logaritms which reduce products to sums.)

Krylov said:
So this is a case where one should listen to what you mean, not what you say? :wink:
Maybe, but Hilbert space is a kind of vector space too, so not necessarily. :wink:

Demystifier said:
That reminded me of a problem that I had in mathematical physics:
The integral can be thought of as precise way to define a continuous sum of uncountably many terms.
Is there a precise way to define a continuous product of an uncountable many terms? (I mean, without explicitly using logaritms which reduce products to sums.)
Yes, it is called the product-integral. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Product_integral

Likes WWGD and Demystifier
gill1109 said:
Yes, it is called the product-integral. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Product_integral
As I suspected, they use logarithms to reduce it to ordinary integrals. I was hoping that it can be done without the logarithms, but I guess my hope was groundless. Nevertheless, I am glad to see that at least there is a standard notation for such a thing.

Demystifier said:
As I suspected, they use logarithms to reduce it to ordinary integrals. I was hoping that it can be done without the logarithms, but I guess my hope was groundless. Nevertheless, I am glad to see that at least there is a standard notation for such a thing.
Some people do it with logarithms. I do not. https://projecteuclid.org/euclid.aos/1176347865
Ann. Statist.
Volume 18, Number 4 (1990), 1501-1555.
A Survey of Product-Integration with a View Toward Application in Survival Analysis
Richard D. Gill and Soren Johansen

Likes Demystifier