Exploring the Curious Nature of Photons: Why Do They Follow a Sine Wave Pattern?

• Thread starter taylaron
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Photon
In summary, photons are the medium for transmitting electromagnetic radiation and follow a sine wave with different wavelengths on the EM spectrum at the speed of light. The photon's motion is thought to be influenced by both its characteristic frequency and the interference of its many paths, making it difficult to pinpoint a specific pattern or analogy for its movement. Our understanding of photons is still not fully comprehensive.
taylaron
Gold Member
To my understanding, photons are the medium in which electromagnetic radiation is transmitted. These photons follow a sine wave with different wavelengths etc... according to its position on the EM spectrum at the speed of light.
note* -with every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

so my question: why does a photon follow a sine wave opposed to having a linear path or following any other defined path e.g. a spiral pattern?

When you separate the 2 components of a sine wave, you have the z axis (direction the wave propagates at) and in this case the x axis. the photon follows the z axis at a constant velocity (speed of light). of course. but the x-axis is where I am confused. the pattern is up, down, up down etc... But what is keeping the photon from just going 'up' or just 'down'?.
why doesn't it move in all 3 axis (in this simulation) where the x and y-axis are oscillating, forming a spiral pattern? Of course there are endless patterns that could be applied. in that case, who says it has to be repetitious?

Thanks-

Tay

Physics news on Phys.org
taylaron said:
To my understanding, photons are the medium in which electromagnetic radiation is transmitted. These photons follow a sine wave with different wavelengths etc... according to its position on the EM spectrum at the speed of light.
note* -with every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

so my question: why does a photon follow a sine wave opposed to having a linear path or following any other defined path e.g. a spiral pattern?

When you separate the 2 components of a sine wave, you have the z axis (direction the wave propagates at) and in this case the x axis. the photon follows the z axis at a constant velocity (speed of light). of course. but the x-axis is where I am confused. the pattern is up, down, up down etc... But what is keeping the photon from just going 'up' or just 'down'?.
why doesn't it move in all 3 axis (in this simulation) where the x and y-axis are oscillating, forming a spiral pattern? Of course there are endless patterns that could be applied. in that case, who says it has to be repetitious?

Thanks-

Tay

Not sure if I exactly understand your question. Who says it has to be a certain way? No one knows WHY the laws of physics are as they are.

But regarding the photon: they have a characteristic frequency just like a vibrating string. However, thinking of a photon as a vibrating string (or otherwise as something that literally moves back and forth) is taking an analogy too far. Photons are thought to take "many paths" in some views, and they may be neither straight nor in a sine pattern. Those paths interfere constructively and destructively in most situations, somewhat like waves on an ocean. However, you should be very careful not to imagine a photon under any single analogy as one works in some cases, another in other cases, and no analogy works in yet others. Despite our ability to accurately predict photon behavior in experiments, in a lot of ways our knowledge is still not very concise about their underlying nature.

Thanks Mr. C, I think I see your point.
thanks for your input.

-Tay

1. What is a photon?

A photon is a fundamental particle of light that carries electromagnetic energy. It is considered both a wave and a particle, and is the basic unit of all light and other forms of electromagnetic radiation.

2. How is a photon's pattern defined?

A photon's pattern is defined by its wavelength, frequency, and energy. These properties determine the behavior of a photon, including its interaction with matter and its movement through space.

3. What is the relationship between a photon's pattern and its color?

The color of light is determined by the wavelength of the photons that make up the light. Shorter wavelengths correspond to higher frequencies and higher energy, resulting in blue or violet light. Longer wavelengths correspond to lower frequencies and lower energy, resulting in red or orange light.

4. Can a photon's pattern be altered or manipulated?

Yes, a photon's pattern can be altered or manipulated through various processes such as absorption, emission, and scattering. These processes can change a photon's energy, direction, or polarization, resulting in a different pattern.

5. How is a photon's pattern related to its role in photosynthesis?

In photosynthesis, photons are absorbed by plants to power the conversion of carbon dioxide and water into glucose and oxygen. The pattern of photons, specifically their energy and wavelength, is crucial in determining which photons can be absorbed by the plant's photosynthetic pigments and utilized for energy production.