Exploring the Effects of Length Contraction on Electromagnetic Forces

In summary, Purcell's argument states that because a current needs a loop to flow, the electric force between charges in an electromagnetic field is not constant but instead depends on the distance between the charges.
djsourabh
I was trying to understand how the electric & magnetic forces are related.
I was going through the equations & the simple explanation of relativistic magnetic field given everywhere. Which goes like this...
There is a current carrying conductor & a charge capable of moving outside it. The current is set up (velocity of electrons =v). Then the charge which is outside the wire moves with the same velocity.
They say that due to length contraction, the force in charge's frame is electric force. (Charge density of positive charges increases & hence the net electric force).

Suppose the charge is at rest & there's no current in the wire, will there be any electromagnetic force?
Of course not.
Now the current is set up..charge is stationary wrt to positive charges in the wire, does the charge experience a force?,well no..

But the electrons are moving.
Their length has to contract.
Giving rise to higher charge density & net electric force on the outside charge..but the charge doesn't experience a force...
My question is where does this force go??

Physics news on Phys.org
djsourabh said:
But the electrons are moving.
Their length has to contract.
No (and note that it's the space between the electrons that's the issue here, not the electrons themselves). There's nothing constraining the electrons to be a fixed distance apart in their rest frame (unlike the protons). So if we (crudely) model the wire initially as a line of electron/proton pairs separated by a distance ##l##, then start up the current then in the rest frame of the wire the electrons are still ##l## apart, but in their own rest frame they are now ##\gamma l## apart.

This might look like it violates charge conservation, but if you take into account that a current needs a loop to flow then take into account the other side of the loop it all works out. The argument is usually due to Purcell - if you search for Purcell and in this forum there are other threads on this topic, including diagrams that may be helpful.

By the way, for future reference I think this thread should be an I thread not an A thread - the latter means you expect postgraduate level maths to be thrown at you, and I don't think you do.

Ibix said:
By the way, for future reference I think this thread should be an I thread not an A thread - the latter means you expect postgraduate level maths to be thrown at you, and I don't think you do.
Fixed.

Likes djsourabh
Have a look at the mechanics section. There I discuss, how one can make and educated guess based on symmetry arguments about the motion of a charged particle in an external electromagnetic field, using the Lagrange formalism of analytical mechanics:

http://th.physik.uni-frankfurt.de/~hees/pf-faq/srt.pdf

Ibix said:
No (and note that it's the space between the electrons that's the issue here, not the electrons themselves). There's nothing constraining the electrons to be a fixed distance apart in their rest frame (unlike the protons). So if we (crudely) model the wire initially as a line of electron/proton pairs separated by a distance ##l##, then start up the current then in the rest frame of the wire the electrons are still ##l## apart, but in their own rest frame they are now ##\gamma l## apart.

This might look like it violates charge conservation, but if you take into account that a current needs a loop to flow then take into account the other side of the loop it all works out. The argument is usually due to Purcell - if you search for Purcell and in this forum there are other threads on this topic, including diagrams that may be helpful.

Dear Sir,
I couldn't exactly understand your answer. I did not find any satisfactory explanation of Purcell argument that you have mentioned. Will you please direct me to the thread?

http://physics.weber.edu/schroeder/mrr/MRRtalk.html

fig2.gif
please explain l_=l*sqrt
(1-v2/c2)

1. What is relativistic electromagnetism?

Relativistic electromagnetism is the study of the interactions between electric and magnetic fields at high speeds, approaching the speed of light.

2. How does relativistic electromagnetism differ from classical electromagnetism?

Relativistic electromagnetism takes into account the effects of special relativity, such as time dilation and length contraction, on the behavior of electric and magnetic fields. Classical electromagnetism only considers these fields in stationary reference frames.

3. What is the role of Maxwell's equations in relativistic electromagnetism?

Maxwell's equations are a set of equations that describe the relationships between electric and magnetic fields and their sources. In relativistic electromagnetism, these equations are modified to account for the effects of special relativity.

4. How does relativistic electromagnetism impact our understanding of the universe?

Relativistic electromagnetism plays a crucial role in our understanding of the behavior of particles at high speeds, such as those found in particle accelerators. It also helps us understand the behavior of electromagnetic waves, which are the basis for many modern technologies.

5. What are some real-world applications of relativistic electromagnetism?

Relativistic electromagnetism has numerous practical applications, such as in the development of particle accelerators, medical imaging technologies (such as MRI machines), and high-speed communication systems. It also plays a key role in understanding the behavior of objects in space, such as black holes and neutron stars.