Exploring the Extended Riemann Hypothesis in Modern Physics

In summary, the conversation discusses the connection between mathematics and physics, specifically regarding the extended Riemann Hypothesis. While number theory seems to be the most affected subject, some models in particle physics and recent discoveries in hydrogen atoms suggest a potential link to the hypothesis. However, it is unclear if physics can contribute to this deeply mathematical problem.
fresh_42
Mentor
Insights Author
2023 Award
I just thought about the critical concepts in mathematics and physics that arose in the last century: Goedel, Schroedinger, etc.

My question is: Are there any physical theories that rely on the validity of the extended Riemann Hypothesis?

I don't mean computer science, i.e. secure communications or encryption; pure physics. As modern physics depend more and more on some very abstract concepts, e.g. Kähler manifolds, de Sitter spaces and so on I asked myself whether the ERH slipped in somewhere.

Physics news on Phys.org
Off hand - I doubt it very much. Number theory seems to be the most affected subject, far from any physics.

mathman said:
Off hand - I doubt it very much. Number theory seems to be the most affected subject, far from any physics.
Yes, that has been my thoughts, too. But I've read about lattices playing a role in some models, I think in particle physics. At least a potential entry point. And a couple of days ago I've read a headline they had discovered number theoretical relations in an hydrogen atom, I think it was about π. And I cannot evaluate whether differential manifolds are completely off the hook.

These were the thoughts which made me post the question. And if so the toying with the idea that physics could contribute to a at its heart deeply mathematical problem.

I don't know about the Riemann hypothesis, but work on string theory certainly inspired mathematics and lead to advances there.

What is the Riemann Hypothesis?

The Riemann Hypothesis is a conjecture in mathematics that states all non-trivial zeros of the Riemann zeta function lie on the line Re(z) = 1/2. It is considered one of the most important unsolved problems in mathematics and has connections to various areas of mathematics, including number theory and analysis.

What is the Extended Riemann Hypothesis?

The Extended Riemann Hypothesis is a generalization of the Riemann Hypothesis that applies to other zeta functions, such as the Dirichlet L-functions and the Selberg zeta function. It states that all non-trivial zeros of these zeta functions also lie on the line Re(z) = 1/2. It is an important open problem in mathematics and has implications in number theory, algebraic geometry, and cryptography.

Why is the Extended Riemann Hypothesis important in modern physics?

The Extended Riemann Hypothesis has important implications in modern physics, particularly in the study of quantum chaos and random matrix theory. It has been shown that the distribution of energy levels in certain physical systems is related to the zeros of the Selberg zeta function, making the Extended Riemann Hypothesis relevant in the study of these systems. Additionally, the Riemann Hypothesis has connections to the distribution of prime numbers, which has applications in cryptography and error-correcting codes.

What progress has been made in exploring the Extended Riemann Hypothesis?

While the Extended Riemann Hypothesis remains an open problem, there have been many efforts to explore and understand its implications. Various mathematical tools and techniques, such as spectral theory and random matrix theory, have been used to study the zeta functions and their connection to physical systems. Additionally, computational methods have been employed to search for counterexamples and provide evidence for the hypothesis.

What are the potential applications of solving the Extended Riemann Hypothesis?

If the Extended Riemann Hypothesis were to be proven, it would have significant implications in mathematics, physics, and other fields. It would provide a deeper understanding of the distribution of prime numbers, which has applications in cryptography and coding theory. It would also shed light on the behavior of physical systems and could potentially lead to new discoveries and advancements in quantum mechanics and chaos theory. Additionally, it would serve as a major breakthrough in the field of number theory and could potentially lead to new developments in other areas of mathematics.