Exploring the Formation of Shock Diamonds

In summary, the conversation discusses the similarities between shock diamonds seen in Quasars and Radio Galaxies and those seen in rocket exhaust. The discussion also touches on the relationship between shock diamonds and exhaust velocity, as well as the difficulty in understanding the phenomena. The conversation ends with a request for further information and resources on the topic.
enorbet
Greetings
Recently I read that radio jets from Quasars and Radio Galacies exhibit a behavior similar to shock diamonds which reopened a creaky old door in my mind because i first started reading about Shock Diamonds as a child of about 8 which may be part of my difficulties in understanding this phenomena. IIRC it was in a book about White Sands Proving Grounds written by G.Harry Stine who participated in testing V2, Aerobee Hi, and Viking rockets and engines (in other words, both on test stands and in flight). He stated that they were also called "Mach Diamonds" because they were only associated with supersonic exhaust velocities and could be used as a rough estimate of that velocity by counting the diamonds. eg: 5 diamonds = mach 5

Many years later I brought this up in Physics class while we were discussing DeLaval and was told that if there was a relationship it was very rough because their formation is quite dynamic.

The distance from the nozzle to the first shock diamond can be approximated by:

[tex]x = 0.67 D_0\sqrt{\frac{P_0}{P_1}}
[/tex]

where x is the distance, D0 is the nozzle diameter, P0 is flow pressure and P1 is atmospheric pressure.

The extreme variable is P_0 since it is related to exhaust velocity which commonly starts as subsonic, becomes sonic as the nozzle converges and then supersonic as it diverges. Ideally exhaust translates from a high pressure-low velocity to a low pressure-hi velocity in such a manner as to get as close to ambient pressure as possible. or at least this was the thinking before computer modeling became a reality. I also have questions about modern understanding of the design of nozzles but I'll save that for another thread. At any rate, I haven't seen them but assume there exists formulae for the entire progression in systems exhibiting multiple diamonds.

What I am looking for today is a better understanding of Shock Diamonds, why and how they propagate with hopefully special attention to the relationship with velocity, so while I encourage discussion I probably need a reference or link to modern papers on this subject, if indeed any exist

Any help?

Below is a nice photo so nobody assumes we are talking about minerals :)
Verdichtungsstoesse.JPG

Physics news on Phys.org
My apologies. I don't know how I missed Aerospaceweb.org. It's the first truly in-depth discussion I've seen.

1. What are shock diamonds and how are they formed?

Shock diamonds, also known as Mach diamonds or Mach disks, are a series of diamond-shaped patterns that can be seen in the exhaust plume of some supersonic jets. They are formed when a supersonic flow of air is compressed by a shock wave, causing a sudden increase in air pressure and temperature. This creates a series of expansion and compression waves, creating the diamond-shaped pattern.

2. What causes the formation of shock diamonds?

The formation of shock diamonds is caused by a sudden increase in air pressure and temperature, which occurs when a supersonic flow of air is compressed by a shock wave. This can happen in the exhaust plume of supersonic jets, rockets, and even fireworks.

3. What is the significance of studying shock diamonds?

Studying shock diamonds can provide valuable insights into the physics of supersonic flows and shock waves. It can also help engineers and scientists develop more efficient and effective designs for supersonic aircraft and rockets. Additionally, understanding the formation of shock diamonds can also aid in the development of advanced propulsion systems and high-speed vehicles.

4. Are there different types of shock diamonds?

Yes, there are different types of shock diamonds, including diamond, wedge, and triangular shapes. The specific type of shock diamond that forms depends on various factors such as the shape of the nozzle, the flow velocity, and the ambient pressure. Different types of shock diamonds can also be observed in different types of supersonic flow, such as overexpanded, underexpanded, and perfectly expanded flows.

5. Can shock diamonds be seen in other natural phenomena?

While shock diamonds are most commonly associated with supersonic jets and rockets, they can also be observed in other natural phenomena, such as lightning strikes, volcanic eruptions, and meteorite impacts. In these cases, the shock diamonds are formed by the interaction of a high-speed flow with the surrounding atmosphere or medium.