Exploring the Hadley Cell & Its Impact on Deserts

• Thread starter physicsponderer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cell Impact
In summary: I read it in Wikipedia a few months ago, as I recall.'Hadley cell' in Wikipedia has in the intro: ' This circulation creates the trade winds, tropical rain-belts and hurricanes, subtropical deserts and the jet streams. ' This is an oversimplification it seems. It should be explained but it isn't.A bit later it has: 'Many of the world's deserts are located in these subtropical latitudes. However the deserts do not extend to the eastern side of the various continents because of ocean currents caused by the Trade Winds.' This is interesting, but it doesn't say how that works. Wikipedia so often is like this.And that's all there is about
DaveC426913 said:
At this point, I think it would make more sense to pass the conch to you, and ask you explain why - when you are directed to "very long contiguous streamers of cloud banks showing the circular interaction of air masses on the scale of thousands of kilometres, notably between temperate and polar latitudes" - you don't see that as "direct evidence of atmospheric circulation".

Alternately, what is the minimum you would reasonably expect to see in order to accept it as direct evidence of atmospheric circulation?
Your statement was useful. I hadn't noticed those streamers, or rather, hadn't noticed how long they are, nor that their length does suggest atmospheric circulation. I meant, 'That's very useful, could you tell me a bit more about that?'. I've looked at that photo so many times over my lifetime, and I never thought properly about those streamers. Didn't really notice them at all.
Having said that, I think 'directly visible to the trained eye' would be more accurate than simply 'directly visible'.

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
physicsponderer said:
I wonder why the streamers of cloud are concave to the southwest when the westerlies are concave in the opposite direction in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Earth_Global_Circulation_-_en.svg ?
Sorry. Not 'concave' they are either rotating clockwise or rotating counterclockwise.

What we are seeing here is air masses in the southern hemisphere rotating clockwise, as expected:
1610250996938.png

Left pic: Northern hemisphere, Right pic: Southern Hemisphere:
1610251174301.png
BTW, Only the largest storms look like whirlpools. More typical storms look like commas with long tails. The head of the coma is the centre of the storm, so a comma whose head is clockwise from its tail is rotating clockwise, thus:
1610251627174.png

Last edited:
Likes russ_watters
I thought 'atmospheric circulation' referred to circulation of air due to the Hadley cells, Ferrel cells, and/or polar cells, not air circulating around a zone of low pressure.

physicsponderer said:
... air circulating around a zone of low pressure.
Well, it is atmosphere. And it is circulating. So...

DaveC426913 said:
Left pic: Northern hemisphere, Right pic: Southern Hemisphere:
View attachment 275949
May I ask where you got these two diagrams from?

physicsponderer said:
May I ask where you got these two diagrams from?
Google. I searched images for 'clockwise storms in southern hemisphere' or somesuch.

DaveC426913 said:
Google. I searched images for 'clockwise storms in southern hemisphere' or somesuch.
I found them (I think) here at Roger Williams University website: https://rwu.pressbooks.pub/webboceanography/chapter/8-4-hurricanes/ which seems on the whole to be quite a useful source of knowledge for a meteorology beginner/amateur like myself.

Likes lomidrevo
physicsponderer said:
I found them (I think) here at Roger Williams University website: https://rwu.pressbooks.pub/webboceanography/chapter/8-4-hurricanes/ which seems on the whole to be quite a useful source of knowledge for a meteorology beginner/amateur like myself.
The book is focused mainly on oceanography, but anyway it looks interesting. Thanks for sharing.