Exploring the Identity Matrix in Multivariable Control Theory

In summary: The same thing happens with "trix", as in directrix and executrix. The Oxford English Dictionary (OED) lists "matrix" as a feminine noun, but the plural is "matrices". The word "matrice" is listed, but it is listed as a rare derivative of the word "matrix". In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the identity matrix in multivariable control theory. The speaker is trying to understand why the identity matrix is needed when bringing A to the left side of the equation, and it is explained that the identity matrix is necessary to convert a real number into a matrix in order to perform the subtraction. The conversation also touches on the singular and plural forms of the word "matrix".
MikeSv
Hello everyone.

Iam working on a course in multivariable control theory and I stumbled over the Identity Matrix.

I understand what the identity matrix is, though the use of it is a mistery...

I was reading about going from state space to transfer functions and I found this expressions:

Known:
X'=AX+BU

Taking Laplace transform (with zero initial conditions)
sX(s)=AX(s)+BU(s)

The state equation can be write in the form
(sI−A)X(s)= BU(s)

Now Iam wondering why I would need an Identity Matrix when bringing A to the left sided of the equation?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Cheers,

Michael

Mathematics news on Phys.org
MikeSv said:
Hello everyone.

Iam working on a course in multivariable control theory and I stumbled over the Identity Matrix.

I understand what the identity matrix is, though the use of it is a mistery...

I was reading about going from state space to transfer functions and I found this expressions:

Known:
X'=AX+BU

Taking Laplace transform (with zero initial conditions)
sX(s)=AX(s)+BU(s)

The state equation can be write in the form
(sI−A)X(s)= BU(s)

Now Iam wondering why I would need an Identity Matrix when bringing A to the left sided of the equation?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Cheers,

Michael
I'm not sure I know what you mean. If you have ##sX(s)- AX(s)=BU(s)## and pull the common factor ##X(s)## out via the distributive law, you get ##(s-A(s))X(s)=BU(s)##. However, ##s## minus ##A(s)## isn't defined, it isn't even in the same space (in general; don't know where your objects are from). Thus we have to write ##sX(s)=s\cdot I \cdot X(s)## first and are then left with ##(s\cdot I)\cdot X(s)##.

You cannot subtract a matrix from a real number. What would the result be? A matrix or a real number?
If you have sX(s) - AX(s), you cannot directly factor out X(s) due to this issue.
You know that X(s) = IX(s), and if you write sX(s) - AX(s) = sIX(s) - AX(s), then you can factor out X(s), as both sI and A are matrices.

edit: fresh was faster.

Hi and thanks for all replies.

That makes sense :-)

So the identity matrix is needed to convert my real number s into a Matrice that has the same size as A to be able to do the subtraction, right?

Cheers,

Mike

Great

Thanks again for the quick reply and and help!

/Mike

MikeSv said:
Hi and thanks for all replies.

That makes sense :-)

So the identity matrix is needed to convert my real number s into a Matrice that has the same size as A to be able to do the subtraction, right?

Cheers,

Mike
Just to note, the term I think is most common for singular of matrices is matrix; just in case you run into it ( figuratively, I hope ; ) )..EDIT: It makes sense to go from either matrix to matrixes within the English language as well as from matrices to matrice, but it does not work out this way in this case.

Last edited:
WWGD said:
Just to note, the term I think is most common for singular of matrices is matrix
Yes, that's correct. This is something left over from Latin. In some cases, the suffix "rix" is used for feminine agents; e.g., aviatrix (fem. counterpart of aviator) and dominatrix. The plurals change the "rix" to "rices".

1. What is the identity matrix in multivariable control theory?

The identity matrix, also known as the identity operator, is a square matrix with 1s on its main diagonal and 0s in all other positions. In multivariable control theory, it is used to represent a system's state variables and control inputs.

2. Why is the identity matrix important in multivariable control theory?

The identity matrix is important because it is the basis for the concept of state-space representation in multivariable control theory. It allows us to analyze and control complex systems with multiple inputs and outputs.

3. How is the identity matrix used in multivariable control theory?

In multivariable control theory, the identity matrix is used to define the state variables and control inputs of a system. It is also used to construct the state-space representation of the system and to perform various calculations and transformations in control design.

4. What are the properties of the identity matrix?

The identity matrix has several properties that make it useful in multivariable control theory. These include being a square matrix, having a determinant of 1, and being an identity element under matrix multiplication.

5. How does the identity matrix relate to other matrices in multivariable control theory?

The identity matrix is closely related to other matrices in multivariable control theory. It is used in conjunction with the state matrix, control matrix, and output matrix to form the state-space representation of a system. It is also used in matrix operations such as inversion, multiplication, and addition.