Exploring the Intersection of Fractals and 3D Game of Life: A Scientific Inquiry

In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of combining Platonic shapes in 3D with fractals and the Game of Life game. The participants are seeking ideas and resources for this project and also briefly mention using fractals for modeling the stock market. One person suggests looking into Wolfram's book 'A new kind of Science' as a starting point. The conversation also touches on the use of fractals in Star Wars.
Alfi
HI all.
Just looking for some ideas or pointers. I wish to pass on an idea to a friend.
I want to look at Platonic shapes in 3D evolving through various iterations.

I've played with pretty fractals and I've played with the 2D and 3D Game of Life games.
both nice diversions :) on a rainy day.
Does anyone know of any papers or sites that have tried to combine the two?

Also. does anyone know how to save a creation in
http://www.cse.sc.edu/~bays/h6h6h6/
and/or
http://www.people.nnov.ru/fractal/Life/Game.htm

Thanks all.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ahhh I'm also looking for pointers. How can I model the stock market using Fractals? XD

Good luck with the stock market thing. :)
I try to stay away from stocks and bondage.

I'll look into Wolframs' book 'A new kind of Science'.
*shrug* - It's a place to start. I remember sampling it a few years ago when I was trying to learn matematica.

Alfi said:
Good luck with the stock market thing. :)
I try to stay away from stocks and bondage.

I'll look into Wolframs' book 'A new kind of Science'.
*shrug* - It's a place to start. I remember sampling it a few years ago when I was trying to learn matematica.

lol I was joking... I thought there's programs for 3D life fractals. They used fractals in star wars... lol

1. What are fractals?

Fractals are geometric shapes or patterns that exhibit self-similarity at various scales. This means that as you zoom in on a fractal, you will see smaller versions of the same pattern repeating over and over again.

2. How are fractals used in the 3D game of life?

Fractals are used in the 3D game of life to create visually stunning and complex landscapes, structures, and objects. The rules of the game are based on cellular automaton, which allows for the generation of fractal-like patterns.

3. Can fractals be seen in nature?

Yes, fractals can be seen in various forms in nature, such as in snowflakes, coastlines, and tree branches. They are also found in biological systems, such as the branching pattern of blood vessels or the structure of the human lungs.

4. How do fractals contribute to the gameplay in the 3D game of life?

Fractals add an element of unpredictability and complexity to the gameplay in the 3D game of life. They allow for endless variations and unique landscapes to be generated, making each playthrough a new and exciting experience.

5. Can fractals be used for practical applications?

Yes, fractals have practical applications in fields such as engineering, medicine, and computer science. They are used for data compression, image and signal processing, and modeling natural phenomena. The 3D game of life is also a way to explore and study the properties of fractals in a fun and interactive way.