Exploring the Limit Definition of e through Binomial Expansion and Summation

• Thread starter Paul_G
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Summation
In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking help with understanding how to use "moments" in a stats course. They share their approach to understanding concepts and ask for guidance on showing that e = lim n-> inf (1+1/n)^n = 1/0!+1/1!+1/2!+... The conversation then shifts to discussing the Stirling formula and its use in expanding factorials. Finally, a helpful resource is shared and the person expresses their gratitude.
Paul_G
Hi!

I'm currently taking a fairly early stats course, and I'm having a bit of a hangup learning exactly how to use "moments" properly. My general solution whenever I run into problems internalizing things is to do a bunch of easy problems, and to show it from the ground up.

This is my first post here, so I'm not certain how to use the math notationy stuff.

My issue here is fairly simple - I want to show that e = lim n-> inf (1+1/n)^n = 1/0!+1/1!+1/2!+...

So I start with my n-> inf (1+1/n)^n and do binomial expansion.

So e = lim n-> Infinity Sum[(n choose k)*1/n^k, {k, 0, Infinity}].

From here, we can go to Sum[n!/(n-k)!k! * 1/n^k, {k,0,Infinity}]

Next... Okay, next we can change the numerator to (n-1)! and the denominator of the right to n^(k-1), but I have no idea what I can do next, considering I'm trying to get to Sum[1/k!,{k,0,Infinity}]. How do I remove the n's?

Thank you very much, and apologies for the mess.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Do you know the Stirling formula? You can use it to expand some factorials.

Nope, wikipedia doesn't seem to start at the ground for it, either. :( I'll youtube it!

What is wrong with the formulas here?
$$n! \sim \sqrt{2 \pi n} \left(\frac{n}{e}\right)^n$$
The ratio of both goes to 1 in the limit n->infinity

Perfect, that is exactly the sort of thing I was looking for.

Thanks! I think I need to learn more calculus.

Related to Exploring the Limit Definition of e through Binomial Expansion and Summation

1. What is "e" and why is it important in summation?

"e" is a mathematical constant with a value of approximately 2.71828. It is important in summation because it is the base of the natural logarithm and allows for the simplification of complex exponential functions.

2. How is "e" used in summation?

"e" is used in summation as the base of the natural logarithm. It is raised to a power of n in the summation formula, where n is the number of terms being added together.

3. What is the formula for showing "e" through summation?

The formula for showing "e" through summation is e^x = 1 + x + x^2/2! + x^3/3! + ... + x^n/n!, where n is the number of terms and x is the variable being summed.

4. How does "e" relate to other mathematical concepts?

"e" is closely related to other mathematical concepts, such as logarithms, derivatives, and compound interest. It is also used in many real-world applications, including population growth, radioactive decay, and electrical circuits.

5. Why is it important to understand "e" in summation?

Understanding "e" in summation allows for the simplification of complex exponential functions and makes it easier to solve mathematical problems involving growth or decay. It also has many applications in various fields of science, making it an essential concept for scientists to understand.