Summation simpilification process

Have you tried $$B(N, A) = {N\over 2}-1 + {25-A\over \psi^{(0)}(N/2+25/B) - \psi^{(0)}(25/B)} \cdot B(N, A) = {N\over 2}-1 + {25-A\over \psi^{(0)}(N/2+25/B) - \psi^{(0)}(25/B)} \cdot B(N, A) = {N\over 2}-1 + {25-A\over \psi^{(0)}(N/2+25/B) - \psi^{(0)}(25/B)} \cdot
baby_1
TL;DR Summary
convert a summation to a specific formula
Hello,
Here is my summation:
[itex]sum(1/(25+n*B)),n=0 to (N/2)-1:=A[/itex]
where A is between .01 to 2, N is between 10 to 2000 and I need to find the B for different values of N. I calculate this summation online (check here)
But the Digamma function makes the output function complex and it is not easy to solve with a calculator or even by hand. I need to calculate the result of this summation with hand easily. Is there any way to convert my summation to simple formula? something like this

Mathematics news on Phys.org
baby_1 said:
$$sum(1/(25+n∗B)),n=0to(N/2)−1:=A$$
A few hashes to enclose wolfram input does not a decent ##\TeX## ouput make, as you can see ...

I don't understand what you mean with ##:=A## but I can imagine you mean the equation
$$\sum_{n=0}^{{N\over 2}-1} {1\over Bn+25} = A $$ That looks a lot better, don't you think ?

So am I right in assuming you want to find B(N, A) satisfying$$
{\psi^{(0)}\Bigl ({N\over 2} + {25\over B}\Bigr ) -
\psi^{(0)} \Bigl ( {25\over B}\Bigr )\over B }= A
$$where N = 10 ... 20000 and A = 0.01 ... 2 ##\qquad ## ?

baby_1 said:
not easy to solve with a calculator or even by hand
Quite !
Good thing we have computers nowadays.

I need to calculate the result of this summation with hand easily
Well, then you have a problem ! You could make a table and write it on your hand, but if you don't have very big hands it will be hard to read.

Any chance of a compromise ? Can you compute the table and do a fit to a suitable function ? What accuracy is required ?

baby_1 said:
Is there any way to convert my summation to simple formula?
Wouldn't Wolfram have shown that if it was so easy as in your examples ?

(Disclaimer: no expert with di gamma. If x is real, is ##\psi^{0}(x) \ ## real ? Must be isn't it ? )

##\ ##

I really appreciate your time and explanation.
Yes, I need to find B based on the given variables values. what is the simplest function of digamma to solve with the small computers ( I need to run a simple program on an embedded computer which has a 1Mhz CPU(Yes 1Mhz not 1Gihz), the result should be real not a complex value.

Last edited:
You still have a problem. And (for me) an undetermined problem: if you can allow 20% inaccuracy it's a different problem than if you need double precision accuracy.

I would try to evaluate/solve on a real computer and then fit a suitable approximating function that can be ported to the embedded device.

The result is real because all terms in the sums are real, right ?

You don't even need the digamma: just run the summation for N = 10 ... 20000 and do a hit and miss (or something better) on B. Keep the B(N,A) that have A in the right range. Once you have enough points, search for an approximating function with Tablecurve or similar.

An exploring excursion with excel can get you started for the first step:

[edit] checking :wink: -- after 'discovering' that ##\ A < 0.04 \ ## does not solve, no matter which B and N :biggrin:

1613341168825.png
I didn't try any fitting yet (don't have Tablecurve).

##\ ##

Attachments

• Poor_man_digamma.xlsx
    407.2 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
The Wikipedia article on the digamma function includes a section on "computation and approximation" which might prove useful.

(The digamma function is defined as the derivative of a function which is real valued for positive reals, so will itself be real-valued for positive reals.)

Likes BvU
Still here ?

1. What is the summation simplification process?

The summation simplification process is a mathematical technique used to simplify complex summation expressions into a more concise and manageable form. It involves applying various mathematical rules and properties to reduce the number of terms in the expression.

2. Why is the summation simplification process important?

The summation simplification process is important because it allows for easier and more efficient calculation of summation expressions, which are commonly used in many areas of mathematics and science. It also helps to identify patterns and relationships within the expression, making it easier to understand and interpret the results.

3. What are some common techniques used in the summation simplification process?

Some common techniques used in the summation simplification process include factoring, regrouping, using summation identities, and applying properties of arithmetic and geometric series. These techniques can be used in combination to simplify even the most complex summation expressions.

4. Can the summation simplification process be applied to all types of summation expressions?

Yes, the summation simplification process can be applied to all types of summation expressions, including finite and infinite series, as well as expressions with constant or variable terms. However, the level of complexity and the specific techniques used may vary depending on the type of expression.

5. Are there any limitations to the summation simplification process?

While the summation simplification process is a useful tool, it may not always be possible to simplify a given summation expression. Some expressions may be too complex or lack patterns that can be identified and used for simplification. In these cases, other methods such as numerical approximation may be used to evaluate the expression.