Exploring "The Mathematical Theory of Black Holes" by S. Chandrasekhar

In summary: But when you're given a generic metric, there is no reason not to write it in contravariant coordinates. In fact, I already did in eq (9) above, which is equivalent to the formula in the book.In summary, in page 67 of the book "The mathematical theory of black holes" by S. Chandrasekhar in chapter 2 "Space-Time of sufficient generality", there is a theorem that states that the metric of a 2-dimensional space can be brought to a diagonal form. This is done by introducing new contravariant coordinates and using the general transformation formula for tensors. By setting one component of the transformed metric to zero, the remaining components can be solved for the new coordinates. This method is
kparchevsky
In page 67 of book "The mathematical theory of black holes" by S. Chandrasekhar in chapter 2 "Space-Time of sufficient generality" there is a theorem that metric of a 2-dimensional space
$$ds^2 = g_{11} (dx^1)^2 + 2g_{12} dx^1 dx^2 + g_{22} (dx^2)^2$$
can be brought to a diagonal form.

I would do this in the following way: introduce new contravariant coordinates ##x'## (how ##x## depend on ##x'##) ##x^1 = p(x'^1, x'^2), x^2= q(x'^1, x'^2)##, differentiate them, plug ##dx^1## and ##dx^2## into the metric above, and equate factor at ##dx'^1 dx'^2## to zero.

That is not how it is done in the book. First they introduce new contravariant coordinates ##x'## such that the inverse functions are defined (how ##x'## depend on ##x##) Eq.(6)
$$x'^1=\phi(x^1,x^2),\qquad x'^2=\psi(x^1,x^2)$$
then they try to reduce to the diagonal form the contravariant form of the metric (##g^{\mu\nu}## with up indexes, ##dx_\mu## with low indexes) Eq.(7),
$$ds^2=g^{11}(dx_1)^2+2g^{12}dx_1dx_2+g^{22}(dx_2)^2$$
though coordinate transformations are defined for contravariant coordinates (up indexes).

I cannot follow the logic of the derivation.

Could you help me to understand how it is derived in the book?

Thank you.

[Mentor Note -- New user has been PM'd about posting math using LaTeX and has been pointed to the "LaTeX Guide" link, especially for threads with the "A" prefix]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
kparchevsky said:
[...] they introduce new contravariant coordinates ##x'## such that the inverse functions are defined (how ##x'## depend on ##x##) Eq.(6)$$x'^1=\phi(x^1,x^2),\qquad x'^2=\psi(x^1,x^2)$$ then they try to reduce to the diagonal form the contravariant form of the metric (##g^{\mu\nu}## with up indexes, ##dx_\mu## with low indexes) Eq.(7),

kparchevsky said:
$$ ds^2=g^{11}(dx_1)^2+2g^{12}dx_1dx_2+g^{22}(dx_2)^2$$ though coordinate transformations are defined for contravariant coordinates (up indexes). I cannot follow the logic of the derivation.
You didn't say at which equation in the book you get stuck. Do you understand eqs (8) and (9)? They're basically just specific cases of the general transformation formula$$g'^{\mu\nu} ~=~ \frac{\partial x'^\mu}{\partial x^\alpha} \; \frac{\partial x'^\nu}{\partial x^\beta} \; g^{\alpha\beta} ~,$$ although Chandrasekhar uses a notation convention of putting primes on the indices rather than the main symbol as I've done above.

Likes kparchevsky, topsquark, vanhees71 and 1 other person
strangerep said:
You didn't say at which equation in the book you get stuck. Do you understand eqs (8) and (9)? They're basically just specific cases of the general transformation formula$$g'^{\mu\nu} ~=~ \frac{\partial x'^\mu}{\partial x^\alpha} \; \frac{\partial x'^\nu}{\partial x^\beta} \; g^{\alpha\beta} ~,$$ although Chandrasekhar uses a notation convention of putting primes on the indices rather than the main symbol as I've done above.
Thank you. Trying to prove Eq.(8) I took differential from both sides of Eq.(6), solved it for ##dx^i##, converted it to ##dx_i##, plugged into Eq.(7) and zeroed term at ##dx'^i dx'^j##, but I just had to use the definition of a tensor! The rest of derivation in the book is clear.

Can't you just see this by counting? In 2 dimensions the metric has 1/2×2×3=3 independent components. With 2 general coordinate transformations (gct's) you have enough freedom to put one component to zero. Explicitly you can write down the transformed compononent for g_12, put it to zero, and see what constraints you get for the gct. This partially gauge fixes the gct's.

I don't get why you use "covariant coordinates" in the first place. For a similar calculation, see any book on string theory how to gauge fix the worldsheet metric and why this implicates that string theory is a CFT.

Likes vanhees71
haushofer said:
Can't you just see this by counting? In 2 dimensions the metric has 1/2×2×3=3 independent components. With 2 general coordinate transformations (gct's) you have enough freedom to put one component to zero. Explicitly you can write down the transformed compononent for g_12, put it to zero, and see what constraints you get for the gct. This partially gauge fixes the gct's.

I don't get why you use "covariant coordinates" in the first place. For a similar calculation, see any book on string theory how to gauge fix the worldsheet metric and why this implicates that string theory is a CFT.
>I don't get why you use "covariant coordinates" in the first place
The goal was to prove the specific formula in the specific book, and this formula was written in covariant coordinates.

1. What is the mathematical theory of black holes?

The mathematical theory of black holes is a branch of study within physics that uses mathematical equations and models to describe the properties and behavior of black holes, which are regions of space with such intense gravitational pull that nothing, including light, can escape from them.

2. Who is S. Chandrasekhar and why is he important in this field?

S. Chandrasekhar, also known as Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar, was an Indian-American astrophysicist who made significant contributions to the mathematical theory of black holes. He is best known for his work on the Chandrasekhar limit, which describes the maximum mass of a stable white dwarf star, and for his pioneering research on the structure and evolution of stars.

3. What are some key concepts in the mathematical theory of black holes?

Some key concepts in the mathematical theory of black holes include the Schwarzschild radius, which is the distance from the center of a black hole at which the escape velocity equals the speed of light, and the event horizon, which is the boundary of a black hole where the gravitational pull becomes infinite. Other important concepts include the singularity, the no-hair theorem, and the laws of black hole thermodynamics.

4. How does the mathematical theory of black holes relate to other fields of science?

The mathematical theory of black holes is closely related to other fields of science, such as general relativity, astrophysics, and cosmology. It also has implications for our understanding of space and time, as well as the behavior of matter and energy in extreme environments. Additionally, the study of black holes has practical applications in fields like astronomy and engineering.

5. What are some current developments and open questions in the mathematical theory of black holes?

Some current developments in the mathematical theory of black holes include efforts to reconcile general relativity with quantum mechanics, as well as attempts to better understand the behavior of black holes through computer simulations and observations from telescopes and other instruments. Open questions in this field include the nature of the singularity at the center of a black hole, the possibility of traversable wormholes, and the ultimate fate of black holes as they evaporate over time.