Exploring the Mysteries of Laser Physics

In summary, photons are quantum packets of energy that can be emitted when an electron moves from a higher to a lower energy state. In a laser cavity, only certain discrete frequencies/wavelengths are allowed due to the oscillation frequency within the cavity. As for the modulator, its function is to shape and synchronize the electric signals within the laser to produce an output with a fixed frequency.
whiteknight
Hi! I am currently self-learning laser right now, and I have some questions about it..

1. We know that water moves from higher to lower altitude, air moves from higher to lower pressure, electrons move from higher to lower potential. What about photons? Where would it go?

2. Why would only certain discrete frequencies/wavelengths are allowed in a laser cavity? Any analogy?

3. I still can't understand how would many modes can exist in a laser at the same time. Any analogy?

4. How exactly AM modulator (in laser mode-locking) works? The thing that i can't digest is that if you have, say, an electric signal of phase ^v (please it's a full cycle sin function) which goes to the modulator, and and at the same time other modes which is a \/ (cos function), and both enter a modulator, and also other modes like just ^ or v (half cycle..is it even possible?), how and what the modulator does to make all the output are the same ^v ? How can the modulator is so smart to know when to shape what, what to shape what, and how to shape what? I mean, the electric signal of the modulator is fixed, right?
*I think its math is the most complicated functions i have ever seen..:(

Thank you for the answer! I actually still have many but i am afraid nobody answers if it is too many..

Science news on Phys.org
1. I can't think of an answer! I see no limit on the direction a photon may go.
2. This must be related to the laser characteristic that all the waves are synchronized in phase and reflect from the mirrors. How can a wave reflect twice, travel twice the cavity length and emerge in phase a whole number of wavelengths behind the waves that emerged on the previous pass?

NOTE: your questions don't reflect the intermediate tag you have given this thread
what is your education level ?

whiteknight said:
1. We know that water moves from higher to lower altitude, air moves from higher to lower pressure, electrons move from higher to lower potential. What about photons? Where would it go?

photons are the quantum packets of energy (energy carriers) of an electromagnetic field
one of their sources is when an electron moves from a higher to a lower energy state

whiteknight said:
2. Why would only certain discrete frequencies/wavelengths are allowed in a laser cavity? Any analogy?

the frequency/wavelength is related to the oscillation frequency within the cavity

whiteknight said:
How can the modulator is so smart to know when to shape what, what to shape what, and how to shape what? I mean, the electric signal of the modulator is fixed, right?

I cannot even begin to make sense of that statement ??Dave

1. What is laser physics?

Laser physics is the study of the properties and interactions of laser light, including its creation, amplification, and manipulation. It involves the use of principles from quantum mechanics, electromagnetism, and optics to understand how lasers work and how they can be utilized in various applications.

2. What are some real-world applications of laser physics?

Laser physics has a wide range of practical applications, including telecommunications, medical treatments, industrial manufacturing, and scientific research. Lasers are used in everything from barcode scanners and DVD players to eye surgery and cutting-edge experiments in fields like astrophysics and quantum computing.

3. How are lasers different from other light sources?

Lasers are unique in that they produce a narrow, coherent beam of light that is highly directional and monochromatic (single wavelength). This is in contrast to traditional light sources, which produce a broad spectrum of light in all directions. The special properties of laser light make it useful for precision applications where control and focus are important.

4. What is the history of laser physics?

The foundations of laser physics were laid in the early 20th century with the development of quantum mechanics and the understanding of light as both a particle and a wave. The first laser was created in 1960 by Theodore Maiman, and since then, laser technology has advanced rapidly, with new types of lasers being developed for specific purposes.

5. What are some current areas of research in laser physics?

Current research in laser physics is focused on improving the efficiency, power, and precision of lasers, as well as finding new ways to utilize them. This includes developing new types of laser materials, exploring new laser applications in fields such as renewable energy and biotechnology, and pushing the boundaries of our understanding of light and its interactions with matter.