Exploring the Need for Connection 1 Forms in Principle G-Bundles

• I
  • Thread starter hideelo
  • Start date
In summary, in order to define the vertical and horizontal subspaces of a point in a principal bundle, one cannot simply divide the tangent space into the kernel of the bundle projection map and the rest, as this is not determined by the differential of the projection map. Instead, a connection 1-form is needed, which gives properties such as invariance under the action of the structure group and a direct sum decomposition of the tangent space into the tangent space to the fiber and a subspace isomorphic to the tangent space to the manifold. The 1-form and the horizontal spaces are equivalent and determine each other.
hideelo
Suppose I had a principle G-bundle (P,π,M) and I wanted to define for each p in P the vertical and horizontal subspaces of ##T_pP##. If I considered any point p, I can consider ##\pi_* : T_p P \rightarrow T_pM##. Why can't I divide ##T_pP## into the kernel of ##\pi_*## which I will call my vertical and the rest will be my horizontal? Why do I need connection 1 forms?

Physics news on Phys.org
hideelo said:
Suppose I had a principle G-bundle (P,π,M) and I wanted to define for each p in P the vertical and horizontal subspaces of ##T_pP##. If I considered any point p, I can consider ##\pi_* : T_p P \rightarrow T_pM##. Why can't I divide ##T_pP## into the kernel of ##\pi_*## which I will call my vertical and the rest will be my horizontal? Why do I need connection 1 forms?

The direct sum decomposition of a tangent space at a point in the principal bundle is not determined by the differential of the bundle projection map. Think about what you really mean when you say "the rest".

lavinia said:
The direct sum decomposition of a tangent space at a point in the principal bundle is not determined by the differential of the bundle projection map. Think about what you really mean when you say "the rest".

I guess I wasnt thing that in order to define orthogonal, I need some inner product structure, just being a vector space isn't enough.

Thanks

hideelo said:
I guess I wasnt thing that in order to define orthogonal, I need some inner product structure, just being a vector space isn't enough.

Thanks

You do not need an inner product, just a direct sum decomposition of the tangent space to the principal bundle into the tangent space to the fiber and a subspace that projects isomorphically onto the tangent space to the manifold. For a connection, one also requires the horizontal spaces to be invariant under the action of the structure group. This is why a G-invariant 1 form with values in the Lie algebra of the structure group is used. It gives you all of these properties in one fell swoop. The horizontal space at a point is its kernel and G-invariance of the horizontal spaces follows from the G-invariance of the 1-form. In fact, the two, the 1-form and the horizontal spaces - are equivalent. That is: the one determines the other.

Last edited:
Likes fresh_42

1. How do connections affect our daily lives?

Connections play a crucial role in our daily lives, both on a personal and societal level. They allow us to form relationships, communicate with others, and navigate our social networks. Connections also impact our access to resources, opportunities, and information, shaping our behaviors and choices.

2. What are the different types of connections?

There are various types of connections, including physical, emotional, social, and intellectual connections. Physical connections involve direct contact with objects or other people, while emotional connections refer to the bonds we form with others based on feelings and empathy. Social connections involve our interactions with others in social settings, and intellectual connections refer to the exchange of ideas and knowledge.

3. How do connections influence our mental health?

Connections have a significant impact on our mental health. Positive connections with supportive individuals can boost our self-esteem, reduce stress and anxiety, and improve our overall well-being. On the other hand, negative connections or a lack of connections can lead to feelings of isolation, loneliness, and even depression.

4. Can we improve our connections with others?

Yes, we can improve our connections with others by actively seeking out and nurturing relationships, practicing effective communication, and being open to new experiences and perspectives. It is also essential to maintain a healthy balance between the quantity and quality of our connections.

5. How important are connections in the scientific field?

Connections are crucial in the scientific field as they allow researchers to collaborate, share knowledge, and build upon each other's work. Connections also play a role in securing funding, disseminating research findings, and creating opportunities for professional growth and advancement.