Principal bundles with connections

• Thread starter holy_toaster
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bundles
In summary, the G-principal bundle P with splitting of the tangent spaces into a vertical and horizontal part implies that the base M must be Hausdorff.
holy_toaster
Suppose [itex](P,M,\pi,G)[/itex] is a G-principal bundle. With this I mean a locally trivial fibration (G acts freely on P) over M=P/G with total space P and typical fibre G, as well as a differentiable surjective submersion [itex]\pi\colon P\to M[/itex]. In this case M is nearly a manifold, but may be non-Hausdorff.

Now it is known that every principal bundle admits a connection if the base M is paracompact (this is the case if it is Hausdorff).

My question is now if the converse does also hold. If I have a G-principal bundle with a G-invariant splitting of the tangent spaces of P into a vertical and horizontal part (or equivalently a connection one-form), does this imply that the base M must be Hausdorff?

Any ideas how one could prove that? Or is it not true?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you do not assume that the base M is a smooth manifold, then how do you define "differentiable surjective submersion" for the map pi?

Well, differentiable structures can be defined on non-Hausdorff manifolds in the same way as on Hausdorff ones. As it is for example done in the book by N.J. Hicks: Note on Differential Geometry (Van Nostrand Reynhold, 1965). The only thing one does not have at hand in this case is paracompactness, hence a countable cover with a subordinate partition of unity. This partition of unity is crucial in the proof of the existence of a connection if the base is indeed a smooth manifold. Starting from that I was wondering about proving the opposite direction...

Oh I see. Sorry I can't help you.

holy_toaster said:
Well, differentiable structures can be defined on non-Hausdorff manifolds in the same way as on Hausdorff ones. As it is for example done in the book by N.J. Hicks: Note on Differential Geometry (Van Nostrand Reynhold, 1965). The only thing one does not have at hand in this case is paracompactness, hence a countable cover with a subordinate partition of unity. This partition of unity is crucial in the proof of the existence of a connection if the base is indeed a smooth manifold. Starting from that I was wondering about proving the opposite direction...

What about a trivial bundle over a non-Hausdorff space? It has a connection.

lavinia said:
What about a trivial bundle over a non-Hausdorff space? It has a connection.

Are you sure? Can you provide an example? I searched for something like that but was not able to find or construct one.

I think I figured out a proof of this: Assume M is non-Hausdorff and P admits a connection. Let x,y be two points in M which cannot be separated by disjoint open sets in M. Then there are two curves c_1 and c_2 in M, c_1 closed at x and c_2 connecting x and y, which coincide everywhere but at x respectively y. As there is a connection, there is a unique horizontal lift of the two curves given some point u in the fiber over x as the initial point of the lifts. Then the horizontal lift of c_1 terminates at some point w in the fiber over x. But by continuity one concludes then the lift of c_2 should also terminate in the fiber over x. As this holds for all given points u in the fiber over x, it follows that the fibers over x and y coincide, in contradiction to the non-Hausdorff condition.

Does that make sense?

1. What is a principal bundle with connection?

A principal bundle with connection is a mathematical structure used in differential geometry to describe the relationship between a base space and a fiber space. It consists of a base space, a fiber space, and a principal bundle that connects the two. The principal bundle is equipped with a connection, which is a way of measuring how the base space and fiber space are related at each point.

2. What is the difference between a principal bundle and a vector bundle?

A principal bundle is a more general structure than a vector bundle. While a vector bundle has a vector space as its fiber space, a principal bundle can have any group as its fiber space. Additionally, a principal bundle has a group action that is compatible with the structure of the bundle, while a vector bundle does not necessarily have a group action.

3. What is the significance of a connection in a principal bundle?

The connection in a principal bundle is used to define a parallel transport between points in the base space. This allows us to compare objects in different tangent spaces of the base space, which is essential in differential geometry. The connection also gives rise to the curvature of the bundle, which is a measure of how the bundle twists or bends.

4. How are principal bundles with connections used in physics?

In physics, principal bundles with connections are used to describe gauge theories, which are fundamental in understanding the interactions between elementary particles. The gauge fields in these theories are represented by connections on the principal bundle. Additionally, principal bundles with connections are used in general relativity to describe the curvature of spacetime.

5. What are some applications of principal bundles with connections?

Principal bundles with connections have a wide range of applications in mathematics and physics. They are used in differential geometry, topology, and algebraic geometry to study the properties of manifolds and their associated vector bundles. In physics, they are used in theories such as gauge theory, general relativity, and quantum field theory. They also have applications in engineering, particularly in the study of control systems and optimization problems.