Exploring the Possibilities of Ancient-Themed Planets in Sci-Fi

• Writing: Input Wanted
  • Thread starter GTOM
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Planets Sci-fi
In summary, Westerns, medieval things, and Stargate are examples of content that uses an anachronism. The author suggests that professional science fiction writers have the imagination to develop an entirely new kind of culture, while readers would find it too disorienting.

What about the idea of take the shape of an ancient civilization in our future?

• Interesting

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Should be omitted

• Unbelievable, but no more than the rest of pop SF

• Total voters
GTOM
There are several examples of it. Western in Star Wars, Firefly, Cowboy Bebop.
Medieval things in W40k.

I wonder, whether it can be something cool, new thing, to shape another planet like ancient Egypt? Or is it just forced, lame?

Cons : It makes that planet less imaginable in the future (although things like Mars vs Mercury war etc already require an amount of suspension of disbelief)
While Stargate hasnt particularly grasped me, but i know, they already had such ideas.

Pros : Someone wants to build a stabile system of total surveillance, personal cult etc. Nazism, communism are outdated (although many people in this world also disillusioned from republic). If someone can't create some revolutionary new ideology, culture, he can bring back something old, that was great for millenias.
Also at this point, some kind of anachronism isn't uncommon in my setting in other places neither (arkhons, togas, triangular hats for example)

Physics news on Phys.org
It's overused --- Niven, The Mote in God's Eye, is one that included the church to excess. Miller, A Canticle for Leibowitz, did well with it, but in the second case, the church was the story.

I think it shows a lack of imagination. Who wants SF without imagination? Not i.

Hornbein said:
I think it shows a lack of imagination. Who wants SF without imagination? Not i.

Who has the imagination to develop an entirely new kind of culture?
In Endymion the Biosphere was awesome, but we couldn't learn that much about their culture. An there were the spectrum people with the three people marriages, wasnt a bad idea, but still not an entire culture.
(Such ideas could rather fit another planet that is a libertarian place.)

GTOM said:
Who has the imagination to develop an entirely new kind of culture?

I would hope that professional science fiction writers would. That's their job, as far as I'm concerned.

Most readers though would find it too disorienting, I would imagine. They will stick with thinly disguised versions of the Roman empire.

GTOM said:
There are several examples of it. Western in Star Wars, Firefly, Cowboy Bebop.
Medieval things in W40k.

I wonder, whether it can be something cool, new thing, to shape another planet like ancient Egypt? Or is it just forced, lame?

Cons : It makes that planet less imaginable in the future (although things like Mars vs Mercury war etc already require an amount of suspension of disbelief)
While Stargate hasnt particularly grasped me, but i know, they already had such ideas.

Pros : Someone wants to build a stabile system of total surveillance, personal cult etc. Nazism, communism are outdated (although many people in this world also disillusioned from republic). If someone can't create some revolutionary new ideology, culture, he can bring back something old, that was great for millenias.
Also at this point, some kind of anachronism isn't uncommon in my setting in other places neither (arkhons, togas, triangular hats for example)

Unless it is done in a justified within setting way (like Stargate) that would look terribly uncreative.

However, there plenty of ideas that can be realistically retried with new flavour. For example this "Nazism, communist" thing. Ask Baath party or even better ruling dynasty in North Korea whether there is such big choice concerning how to organize a stable totalitarian state, and not just a matter of adding local flavour.

I also suspect that samurais were just a plagiarism of knights that we had in Europe ;) Or mercantilist policies of imperial China, clear rip of ideology from Europe ;) )

So quite a few motives are 100% justifiable, and it would be a readers fault that only associates that with one historical era / event / regime.

Well it doesn't have to come from a lack of imagination. The nice thing about those stories is that they let us explore past civilizations without the restrictions of past technology. They let us explore the way other cultures that don't exist anymore would view the future. There was some of that in Stargate (SG1). Some of the technologically advanced humans seemed to descend from Mesoamericans, for example, and they had customs 21st century Americans had trouble accepting.

Look at Cretan sexuality as another example. Relationships between males involved a highly ritualized form of kidnapping. Our culture would view it as abuse, but to them it was an expression of love and respect and a sign of aristocratic status.

Other human cultures have had very different beliefs and norms than ours. They've had concepts for things we have no concepts for, words for things for which we have no words. Taking a past age into the present or future can be interesting. What would an AI or an alien find appealing in 10th century Viking culture? What ideas would Jung have about the internet? Etc.

Likes PartialMitch and GTOM
I can think about two options.
A: if it is a simple regime then don't overuse the analogy.
B: in my story aliens visited Earth. Maybe they could run an experiment that they took some people to an underground mercury place. When the mining corp finds that place with the artifacts... They could become really obsessed.
In that case i could switch to a lesser known analogy, ancient mayans for example.

Artribution said:
Well it doesn't have to come from a lack of imagination. The nice thing about those stories is that they let us explore past civilizations without the restrictions of past technology. They let us explore the way other cultures that don't exist anymore would view the future. There was some of that in Stargate (SG1). Some of the technologically advanced humans seemed to descend from Mesoamericans, for example, and they had customs 21st century Americans had trouble accepting.

Look at Cretan sexuality as another example. Relationships between males involved a highly ritualized form of kidnapping. Our culture would view it as abuse, but to them it was an expression of love and respect and a sign of aristocratic status.

Other human cultures have had very different beliefs and norms than ours. They've had concepts for things we have no concepts for, words for things for which we have no words. Taking a past age into the present or future can be interesting. What would an AI or an alien find appealing in 10th century Viking culture? What ideas would Jung have about the internet? Etc.

Thanks. I thought about Tien-san in Rise of Endymion, a tibetian analogy. I omit Egypt, the arguments are good, that with Stargate, it would be overused. On the other hand, with aliens, i can create an extraordinary justification to recreate something ancient on another planet. Settlers find the mayan ruins, others refuse to believe them, you must have falsified evidence, no aliens, no space travel ancients...

It could be a good thing, a lot of sci-fi cultures have that shallow/superficial feel to them, and being inspired by an existing/historical culture might help in developing something that feels more solid. Provided of course that an effort is made to understand how the people of that culture viewed the world and lived their daily lives. Reading up on history, biographies, mythologies, traditions and literature of the culture in question is a necessity.

On the other hand, "lifting" historical cultures out of their context and simply adding "in space!" can make the setting feel artificial. I mean, why would a culture that evolved around the Nile, in the Bolivian Altiplano or coastal southern Sweden remain unchanged if its people found their way to Mars, cities in the ice of Europa or on a generation ship bound for Kepler-something? If the conditions that formed the cultures are replaced by others, the culture itself will also change, since it evolved to fit its environment.

There is in real life already a very good example of this, called the United States of America. It was primarily founded by Europeans and European descended people. It is both made up of older cultures but it also came to evolved ideas and traditions of its own. My people (Swedes) migrated there en masse during the 1880-1910 time frame, but even if you go to those parts of Pennsylvania where the plurality of the population is Swedish-descended, you are not going to find that much of rural late1800s/early 1900s Sweden there.

Similarly, a "USA equivalent" where the native Americans didn't die off from old world diseases, or where the area was colonized by the Japanese after being discovered in the early 1500s would of course be different from what is seen today. But my point is, it would also not be as easy as imagining Japan in the shape of north America or native Americans as we know them, it would be cultures descended from the Japanese/native Americans.

Take a look at www.alternatehistory.com , it is a discussion board primarily interested in alternate history (such as the examples I give above), but it also has quite a lot of sci fi and I think it illustrates quite nicely how knowledge of history, anthropology et cetera builds into good scifi world building.

vemvare said:
It could be a good thing, a lot of sci-fi cultures have that shallow/superficial feel to them, and being inspired by an existing/historical culture might help in developing something that feels more solid. Provided of course that an effort is made to understand how the people of that culture viewed the world and lived their daily lives. Reading up on history, biographies, mythologies, traditions and literature of the culture in question is a necessity.

On the other hand, "lifting" historical cultures out of their context and simply adding "in space!" can make the setting feel artificial. I mean, why would a culture that evolved around the Nile, in the Bolivian Altiplano or coastal southern Sweden remain unchanged if its people found their way to Mars, cities in the ice of Europa or on a generation ship bound for Kepler-something? If the conditions that formed the cultures are replaced by others, the culture itself will also change, since it evolved to fit its environment.

There is in real life already a very good example of this, called the United States of America. It was primarily founded by Europeans and European descended people. It is both made up of older cultures but it also came to evolved ideas and traditions of its own. My people (Swedes) migrated there en masse during the 1880-1910 time frame, but even if you go to those parts of Pennsylvania where the plurality of the population is Swedish-descended, you are not going to find that much of rural late1800s/early 1900s Sweden there.

Similarly, a "USA equivalent" where the native Americans didn't die off from old world diseases, or where the area was colonized by the Japanese after being discovered in the early 1500s would of course be different from what is seen today. But my point is, it would also not be as easy as imagining Japan in the shape of north America or native Americans as we know them, it would be cultures descended from the Japanese/native Americans.

Take a look at www.alternatehistory.com , it is a discussion board primarily interested in alternate history (such as the examples I give above), but it also has quite a lot of sci fi and I think it illustrates quite nicely how knowledge of history, anthropology et cetera builds into good scifi world building.

Thanks, i will look at it.
Well i also read, that a traditional mayan community is giving up old rituals after introduction of TV. In space, they sure won't worship a god of the mountain for example, although the gods can still appear in naming conventions, or an abstract upper god like Hunab-ku can be still praised by significant percent of people.
Or (as far as i know) shinto is an old spiritist religion, that made to modern age, i should look at it too.
Art, festivals are the things, where old traditions can appear most.
Society... i can rather imagine a king of ceremonial role, than entirely giving up democracy (that should be the totalitarian technocracy, although when the invasion fleet coming for their planet, ms little dictator will promise more freedom, and constitution) I can imagine ancient style ritualized execution, as punishment for really bad crimes, including corruption in politics :P

GTOM said:
Thanks, i will look at it.
Well i also read, that a traditional mayan community is giving up old rituals after introduction of TV. In space, they sure won't worship a god of the mountain for example, although the gods can still appear in naming conventions, or an abstract upper god like Hunab-ku can be still praised by significant percent of people.
Or (as far as i know) shinto is an old spiritist religion, that made to modern age, i should look at it too.
Art, festivals are the things, where old traditions can appear most.
Society... i can rather imagine a king of ceremonial role, than entirely giving up democracy (that should be the totalitarian technocracy, although when the invasion fleet coming for their planet, ms little dictator will promise more freedom, and constitution) I can imagine ancient style ritualized execution, as punishment for really bad crimes, including corruption in politics :P

There is one very serious problem for story purposes - there is some indirect influence of past believes. For example - monotheistic religions (not only Christianity, Islam too) tended to improve rights of slaves or children (for ancient Greeks and Romans infanticide by head of family was OK) by claiming that those are human beings who have soul. Thus if under religious laws are humans, then should have at least some legal protection. Or reformation idea that all people should read Bible... which made protestants gov to speed up history by starting early form of mass education to achieve basic literacy among peasants.

In the same time the religion (or any source of inspiration) may be already in decline phase.

Want a malicious idea? Instead of a "monarchy" (democracy with figurehead king), one may try "republic" (a technocracy with fair and democratic election of figurehead president). In both cases the same issue - de facto political system evolved, while because of lack of any revolution and respect for tradition, traces of old regime remained.

vemvare said:

If you go to the upper midwest region, you might. The first Swede I met in person, I assumed was from Minnesota due to the accent. The vowels are the same.

And the lutefisk.

...and the Vikings. But the Minnesotan ones just play football.

Czcibor said:
There is one very serious problem for story purposes - there is some indirect influence of past believes. For example - monotheistic religions (not only Christianity, Islam too) tended to improve rights of slaves or children (for ancient Greeks and Romans infanticide by head of family was OK) by claiming that those are human beings who have soul. Thus if under religious laws are humans, then should have at least some legal protection. Or reformation idea that all people should read Bible... which made protestants gov to speed up history by starting early form of mass education to achieve basic literacy among peasants.

In the same time the religion (or any source of inspiration) may be already in decline phase.

Want a malicious idea? Instead of a "monarchy" (democracy with figurehead king), one may try "republic" (a technocracy with fair and democratic election of figurehead president). In both cases the same issue - de facto political system evolved, while because of lack of any revolution and respect for tradition, traces of old regime remained.

In OP i wrote about a regime, but now i think, that should be another place (and make it no more traditionalist than present day China's Party).

The ancient like society i think about should be something different. Not so technocratic. Maybe a bit like Iran? (they can elect their president, who maybe not even the favorite of the ayatollah, but the later has the supreme power)
Again, i thought about the following history : settlers who didnt really liked what is on Earth, reach another planet, wow underground mayan ruins, artifacts, this is so awesome, they traveled space long ago, we should rebuild things based on that culture. Then carefully monitor newcomers to accept new culture. On the other hand, they should give them something to make them feel good, and willing to embrace it. Well, lots of lands waiting for paraterraforming. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terraforming)
A community that can help them overcome depts (indepted modern day slavery isn't uncommon on Earth) Something to lift their spirits (cheap stuff on festivals, mayans ate mushrooms with hallucinogenics) Grant them enough rights as long as they pay some respect to traditions, culture.

GTOM said:

Well, if the classical Maya civilization had survived to the present, some things about them would already sound like sci-fi.

Example: Numerical names. Classical Maya names were simply their dates of birth. If you were born on the calendar date "13 Deer", your name was 13-Deer (13-Nacuaa).

Impressive, right? It's so rational, so scientific. So orderly. Like if all of us today were named 23-November or 02-January. Or just 23-11 or 02-01.

Later on, you'd get an addition to your Sacred Calendar name to distinguish you from other kids born on the same date. So your full adult name would be 13-Deer 'Quetzal Macaw' or 6-Sky 'Mirror Jaguar' or some such.

I don't know of any culture outside Mesoamerica that used mathematically derived names. (A Roman couple calling their eighth son Octavius doesn't count.) And, of course, that's just part of their general fascination with stuff like math and time.

Last edited:
GTOM said:
In OP i wrote about a regime, but now i think, that should be another place (and make it no more traditionalist than present day China's Party).

The ancient like society i think about should be something different. Not so technocratic. Maybe a bit like Iran? (they can elect their president, who maybe not even the favorite of the ayatollah, but the later has the supreme power)
Again, i thought about the following history : settlers who didnt really liked what is on Earth, reach another planet, wow underground mayan ruins, artifacts, this is so awesome, they traveled space long ago, we should rebuild things based on that culture. Then carefully monitor newcomers to accept new culture. On the other hand, they should give them something to make them feel good, and willing to embrace it. Well, lots of lands waiting for paraterraforming. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terraforming)
A community that can help them overcome depts (indepted modern day slavery isn't uncommon on Earth) Something to lift their spirits (cheap stuff on festivals, mayans ate mushrooms with hallucinogenics) Grant them enough rights as long as they pay some respect to traditions, culture.

Underground Mayan ruins, artefacts and allies? Do you want something simpler? Eccentric trillionaire with a group of true believers and lukewarm masses. Think about creation of state of Israel. In RL it was possible reanimate language, same happened with Czech language. There are in my country some guys who try to recreate pre-Christian religions (not much was left, so it is mostly a new invention). Something in this line could be possible. Just pour a bit more money and place it in space.

Think how would you behave if they paid you really well, but expected for citizenship from you to learn language, adopt proper name and take part in state celebrations. ;)

I find it hard to believe traditions like that will ever come back, though. This is a civilization that disintegrated long ago. The classical period ended 500 years before Europeans arrived. I'm not sure if even the followers of traditional Maya religion use calendar names today.

Last edited:
Artribution said:
I find it hard to believe traditions like that will ever come back, though. This is a civilization that disintegrated long ago. The classical period ended 500 years before Europeans arrived. I'm not sure if even the followers of traditional Maya religion use calendar names today.

Hmm using 20 based numerical system and some other things isn't a bad start to make them look like an alien race. (I don't think it cause them way more hardship than certain british customs, and they sure need a calendar reform on an exoplanet)

Czcibor said:
Think how would you behave if they paid you really well, but expected for citizenship from you to learn language, adopt proper name and take part in state celebrations. ;)

And a significant percent of people of the next generation could really believe in traditions and spiritualism.
I wonder about the TV vs tradition thing I've mentioned before. Maybe they could ban commercials? People would watch less TV i they had to pay for it. Also less money spent on buying things that arent really needed.
Not terribly good for corporations, but i think, they could withstand it.

Last edited:
GTOM said:
And a significant percent of people of the next generation could really believe in traditions and spiritualism.
I wonder about the TV vs tradition thing I've mentioned before. Maybe they could ban commercials? People would watch less TV i they had to pay for it. Also less money spent on buying things that arent really needed.
Not terribly good for corporations, but i think, they could withstand it.

When I thought about ways of creating new culture and identity in hurry (with minor help of tactics used by communist):
-mass education with proper dose of propaganda;
-fuelling state money into approved culture (don't have to be too blatant, funding annual awards for best books in local language, funding films, computers games etc.)
-Gov TV... in soft version would be hard to blame them if on same days main news are some celebrations... or that they use official language...
-would you take part in a celebrations of some weird tradition if there were bread and circuses of proper quality provided?
-you can hit improper culture with taxes, red tape, child protection regulations, morality, quirks of intellectual property law, etc.

Ban commercials? Just force foreign companies to follow your local onerous regulations concerning nudity, honest practices, local content percentage... When they fail - ban them murmuring something about consumer protection. If they adapt - make the rules even more complicated.

In real life I've seen how a few years ago parliament in my country in religious/election fervour reintroduced epiphany as a holiday. Within a few years a "tradition" of marches of the three kings appeared.

Czcibor said:
Ban commercials? Just force foreign companies to follow your local onerous regulations concerning nudity, honest practices, local content percentage... When they fail - ban them murmuring something about consumer protection. If they adapt - make the rules even more complicated.

In real life I've seen how a few years ago parliament in my country in religious/election fervour reintroduced epiphany as a holiday. Within a few years a "tradition" of marches of the three kings appeared.

What can be the pros and cons of the system?
If we take Iran as a base, problems are :
- corruption
- young people of Teheran definitally want less orthodoxy and censorship
On the other hand, it was written in Honeymoon in Teheran, that while she didnt liked what was going there especially under the ex president, it was good, how the community helped her, when he raised a kid.

Mayan religion didnt have such strict moral codes like islaam, but had painful stuff, like bloodletting rituals... hospitals won't run out of blood on that place. :PCorruption, if a kind of priesthood monitors kacikas (elected officials) who monitors priests? Maybe a not so high-level AI monitors budget, that is a bit similar to a demi-god?
Although they shouldn't have too much robotics (I want a major difference between them, and technocratic regime/rigged election republic) It is written in another topic, that semiconductors are cheap thanks to mass production. I could accept a law that seriously taxes smartphones, facebook (so reduces their usage, and makes semiconductors less cheap)... (It can be really irritating, when someone close to me spends hours with them)

GTOM said:
What can be the pros and cons of the system?
If we take Iran as a base, problems are :
- corruption
- young people of Teheran definitally want less orthodoxy and censorship
On the other hand, it was written in Honeymoon in Teheran, that while she didnt liked what was going there especially under the ex president, it was good, how the community helped her, when he raised a kid.

Mayan religion didnt have such strict moral codes like islaam, but had painful stuff, like bloodletting rituals... hospitals won't run out of blood on that place. :PCorruption, if a kind of priesthood monitors kacikas (elected officials) who monitors priests? Maybe a not so high-level AI monitors budget, that is a bit similar to a demi-god?
Although they shouldn't have too much robotics (I want a major difference between them, and technocratic regime/rigged election republic) It is written in another topic, that semiconductors are cheap thanks to mass production. I could accept a law that seriously taxes smartphones, facebook (so reduces their usage, and makes semiconductors less cheap)... (It can be really irritating, when someone close to me spends hours with them)

Corruption... not necessary fault of religion leaders. I mean previous regime was also corrupted. Whole region is corrupted. Actually in early days of revolution, the religious ranks were more fanatic and... less corruptible.
http://www.transparency.org/cpi2014/results

Do hospitals need blood in such SF setting? ;)

For sure there would be a standard problem of priest caste that loves to chastise people and take gov money for that. (Common pattern in many countries, have read about Hasids in Israel?) While confronting young and educated people there would be a mutual disgust with the other. Presumably here would be some state enforcement of that.

Think for a while about some program what to introduce, then about resistance, semi hearted enforcement and. Not even what Mayans had, but what to reintroduce or create from scratch and claim that it was Mayan. (some more educated foreigners may tease about that)

How would you reintroduce bloody rituals? ;)

If off-world colonies exists, either with or without FTL, a cult-like movement could easily move somewhere and become a state. Instead of trying to alter the behavior/traditions/values of a larger group of diverse people, the "right" people could be hand-picked.

Like a lot of things I think the answer is "it depends". The con is that it's not realistic, but if you write it well it can be very entertaining. It depends on the story you want to tell. 40K is a good example because whilst it takes a lot from feudalism/early 20th century warfare it makes up for this by being very cool/entertaining for its demographic. Alternatively if you consider a writer like Alastair Reynolds his books are enjoyed because they are attempting to be realistic (to a degree). As a part of that he has quite interesting future societies that are politically and economically distinct from those of today.

Czcibor said:
Do hospitals need blood in such SF setting? ;)

How would you reintroduce bloody rituals? ;)

Why wouldn't they need? They can collect blood on rituals and give it to hospitals. Also it can be the demonstration of manhood, that someone gives lots of blood, pierce ear, chin without without any kind of painkiller.

vemvare said:
If off-world colonies exists, either with or without FTL, a cult-like movement could easily move somewhere and become a state. Instead of trying to alter the behavior/traditions/values of a larger group of diverse people, the "right" people could be hand-picked.

Yes, new people are carefully selected, or tested.

Ryan_m_b said:
Like a lot of things I think the answer is "it depends". The con is that it's not realistic, but if you write it well it can be very entertaining. It depends on the story you want to tell. 40K is a good example because whilst it takes a lot from feudalism/early 20th century warfare it makes up for this by being very cool/entertaining for its demographic. Alternatively if you consider a writer like Alastair Reynolds his books are enjoyed because they are attempting to be realistic (to a degree). As a part of that he has quite interesting future societies that are politically and economically distinct from those of today.

He was suggested by others too, i should get one of his books.

I thought about two special units, that both futuristic and a bit archaic.

Eagle commando : speciality is anti-air. Big crossbows for launching guided missiles in a stealthy way. Expandable wings act as radar. Optional jetpack. Only basic frag armor.

Jaguar commando : speciality is counter heavy infantry and droids. Light servo-armor, pretty much anti electronics equipment, EMP grenades, jammers, decoys vs radars, ground penetrating radar and atlatl (spear thrower) launched missiles to deal with enemy even beyond walls.

Names - for sure OK, with weapons there is usually conflict between rule of cool and practicality...

Anyway, I have one more idea - Aztec style step pyramid... with moving stairs... :D

Czcibor said:
Names - for sure OK, with weapons there is usually conflict between rule of cool and practicality...

Anyway, I have one more idea - Aztec style step pyramid... with moving stairs... :D

Of course those crossbows should have motors to pull back the string, alternatively hot launch is acceptable if the drone already focus on men.

Step pyramids, yeah. :)
I think such megastructures should be hollow to fill multiple purposes. A temple of god of pleasure and brothel would be too much... but the pyramid could house many other things and people associated with pleasure, sexologists, addictologists, offices oversee entertainment shows.

GTOM said:
Of course those crossbows should have motors to pull back the string, alternatively hot launch is acceptable if the drone already focus on men.
Maybe. At first I though about it being very impractical, however later I thought about need of using additional, weaker engine for start in such rocket to avoid incinerating the shooter. Maybe... But problem of recoil would remain...
Step pyramids, yeah. :)
I think such megastructures should be hollow to fill multiple purposes. A temple of god of pleasure and brothel would be too much... but the pyramid could house many other things and people associated with pleasure, sexologists, addictologists, offices oversee entertainment shows.
Why not build a Manhattan style skyscraper metropolis, but the theme of buildings would be step pyramid? (Just a matter of taste, pyramid instead of cuboid and covering with stone instead of excessive decoration with glass and steel)

EDIT:
And build city on a coastal area and make channels between square island. Use waterways for transport purposes to make semblance of practicality.

Well: it would not be no more impractical that zoning regulation that I know from my country ;)

Last edited:
Czcibor said:
Maybe. At first I though about it being very impractical, however later I thought about need of using additional, weaker engine for start in such rocket to avoid incinerating the shooter. Maybe... But problem of recoil would remain...

In case of reducing missile to 100-200 gram, (and cold launch speed is around 100 m/s before rocket boost) recoil won't be scales bigger than a rifle bullet.
They could put the end of the crossbow to the ground, or a wall, also use not a full armor, but an exoskeleton to reduce stress on shoulder.
That missile meant to shot down small, low fly drones, not high fly bombers.
(I think about three main types of drones, tiny recon flys, bigger wasps (recon and hunts flys, able to kill a man also from close range) and missile drones.
The first one is so fast and small, but vulnerable, that they can hunt them with a weak chemical laser rifle. Bigger lasers could kill lots of drones, but not a squadron of missile drones, let alone droids with heavier armor)

Czcibor said:
Why not build a Manhattan style skyscraper metropolis, but the theme of buildings would be step pyramid? (Just a matter of taste, pyramid instead of cuboid and covering with stone instead of excessive decoration with glass and steel)

EDIT:
And build city on a coastal area and make channels between square island. Use waterways for transport purposes to make semblance of practicality.

Well: it would not be no more impractical that zoning regulation that I know from my country ;)

The place would be Mars. I think the typical construction would be small family houses sorround a greenhouse. Airtight doors, own water, power and air reservoir.
Streets covered with lead-glass, many airlocks that can be closed.
Not so much skyscrapers.
But a step pyramid could be a mini city, unlike a tower, it is quite resistant to siege.

Hi GTOM

"What about the idea of take the shape of an ancient civilization in our future?"

In the future, if you travel far enough, those who live there can return back through time at will and live in any civilization they wish, ancient or otherwise
They return to the future from such trips wearing ancient clothing, and some like it, so they keep it
But mocking up an ancient civilization in the future would involve a fair amount of effort, and why bother when you can just go there

Best wishes

There is a Japanese anime about a future in which the Borgia family are characters. So is Vaclav Havel! I think that's great.

Recently i read in a science article that probably if humans go to Mars, due to isolation, being closed together for long time, probably different cultural backgrounds etc, maybe they should need some new cult as a cohesive force. I don't say it is a must have, but serves my speculation.

I wonder, can be any rational reason for ancient mesoamerican human sacrifice like execution?
At first i thought about organ transplant, but it looks like cloning 3d printing organs is a better solution.
Maybe some medical experiments, or remove gray matter and make the murderer to be a cyber zombie?

Creatures of Light and Darkness and Lords of Light, both by Roger Zelazny, would be of interest.

GTOM said:
Recently i read in a science article that probably if humans go to Mars, due to isolation, being closed together for long time, probably different cultural backgrounds etc, maybe they should need some new cult as a cohesive force. I don't say it is a must have, but serves my speculation.

I don't think they would need a cult or religion to bind them together, however human behavior and society is complex enough to let an author justify almost anything imaginable without being blatantly wrong (unless done poorly).

GTOM said:
I wonder, can be any rational reason for ancient mesoamerican human sacrifice like execution?
At first i thought about organ transplant, but it looks like cloning 3d printing organs is a better solution.
Maybe some medical experiments, or remove gray matter and make the murderer to be a cyber zombie?

If you stick strictly to known and immediate-future technology, then I can't think of any "rational" reason why human sacrifice would be necessary. However humans are not purely rational beings, so things like the demands of society can justify it if done correctly.

<h2>1. What makes ancient-themed planets a popular concept in science fiction?</h2><p>Ancient-themed planets are popular in science fiction because they offer a sense of mystery and wonder. They allow for the exploration of ancient civilizations and the possibility of advanced technology or lost knowledge. Additionally, these planets often have unique and exotic landscapes, making them intriguing settings for storytelling.</p><h2>2. Can ancient-themed planets actually exist in our universe?</h2><p>While there is currently no evidence of ancient-themed planets in our universe, it is not impossible for them to exist. The vastness of the universe and the potential for countless different planetary systems means that there could be planets with ancient civilizations and advanced technology that we have yet to discover.</p><h2>3. How do authors and filmmakers create believable ancient-themed planets in sci-fi?</h2><p>Authors and filmmakers often draw inspiration from real ancient civilizations and their cultures, architecture, and technology. They also use scientific principles and theories to create realistic planetary environments and ecosystems. Additionally, they may incorporate elements of fantasy or imagination to add a sense of wonder and mystery to the world.</p><h2>4. What are some common themes and tropes associated with ancient-themed planets in sci-fi?</h2><p>Some common themes and tropes include ancient advanced civilizations, lost or forgotten knowledge, alien artifacts or technology, and time travel. These elements often add to the sense of mystery and wonder surrounding these planets.</p><h2>5. How do ancient-themed planets in sci-fi reflect our own society and history?</h2><p>Ancient-themed planets in sci-fi often serve as a reflection of our own society and history. They may explore themes of power, technology, and cultural evolution. They also allow us to imagine what our own civilization could become in the distant future or in a parallel universe.</p>

1. What makes ancient-themed planets a popular concept in science fiction?

Ancient-themed planets are popular in science fiction because they offer a sense of mystery and wonder. They allow for the exploration of ancient civilizations and the possibility of advanced technology or lost knowledge. Additionally, these planets often have unique and exotic landscapes, making them intriguing settings for storytelling.

2. Can ancient-themed planets actually exist in our universe?

While there is currently no evidence of ancient-themed planets in our universe, it is not impossible for them to exist. The vastness of the universe and the potential for countless different planetary systems means that there could be planets with ancient civilizations and advanced technology that we have yet to discover.

3. How do authors and filmmakers create believable ancient-themed planets in sci-fi?

Authors and filmmakers often draw inspiration from real ancient civilizations and their cultures, architecture, and technology. They also use scientific principles and theories to create realistic planetary environments and ecosystems. Additionally, they may incorporate elements of fantasy or imagination to add a sense of wonder and mystery to the world.

4. What are some common themes and tropes associated with ancient-themed planets in sci-fi?

Some common themes and tropes include ancient advanced civilizations, lost or forgotten knowledge, alien artifacts or technology, and time travel. These elements often add to the sense of mystery and wonder surrounding these planets.

5. How do ancient-themed planets in sci-fi reflect our own society and history?

Ancient-themed planets in sci-fi often serve as a reflection of our own society and history. They may explore themes of power, technology, and cultural evolution. They also allow us to imagine what our own civilization could become in the distant future or in a parallel universe.

Back