Exploring the Possibility of a Warp Jet: A Theoretical Approach

In summary, the conversation discussed the concept of a warp drive and its theoretical ability to compress space in front and expand it in the back, similar to a jet engine. The question was raised about the possibility of using this idea to create a warp jet and avoid the need to expand space, but it was explained that the energy required for such a feat is currently impossible to achieve. The conversation also touched on the theoretical nature of the warp drive and its lack of practical application.
Ethan Deibert
I was looking at videos on how a warp drive theoretically could work: by compressing space in front and expanding space in the back. This reminded me of a jet engine compressing air and blasting it out of a nozzle.
My question is, could you build a sort of warp jet that would compress space inside of a chamber using whatever method is proposed in a warp drive to compress the space, and then blasting it out the back where it would expand pushing your ship forward? This would avoid having to expand space at all. I was never good at physics so I don't know if what I'm saying is nonsense but it's just a thought I had.
THanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem is that your ship has to carry on board something which can warp space, a black hole.
That's difficult for a number of reasons.

Thread closed for a bit for Moderation.

Ethan Deibert said:
I was looking at videos on how a warp drive theoretically could work [ed.: my emphasis]: by compressing space in front and expanding space in the back. This reminded me of a jet engine compressing air and blasting it out of a nozzle.
It might remind you of a jet engine, but it cannot be really compared. Theoretical here means that Alcubierre's solution is one special solution to Einstein's field equations. Those solutions are neither unique nor does it mean, they have automatically any physical relevance.
My question is, could you build a sort of warp jet that would compress space inside of a chamber using whatever method is proposed in a warp drive to compress the space, and then blasting it out the back where it would expand pushing your ship forward?
No. At least not in the next millenium. The energies which are needed are far beyond any reasonable value.
This would avoid having to expand space at all. I was never good at physics so I don't know if what I'm saying is nonsense but it's just a thought I had.
I'm afraid it is nonsense as far as any realization is concerned. Have a read of the Wikipedia page I linked to. The idea is a funny theoretical exercise. And yes, what M. Kaku tells on TV is a bit too speculative and pure science fiction.

And with that very helpful reply, this thread will remain closed.

1. What is a warp jet?

A warp jet is a theoretical propulsion system that uses the concept of warp drive, which is a hypothetical way of traveling faster than the speed of light. It involves manipulating space-time to create a "warp bubble" that allows a spacecraft to move through space at incredible speeds.

2. Is a warp jet possible?

At this point in time, a warp jet is purely theoretical and has not been proven to be possible. However, there are ongoing efforts in the scientific community to explore the possibility of warp drive and develop a theoretical framework for its potential implementation.

3. What are the potential benefits of a warp jet?

If a warp jet were to become a reality, it could revolutionize space exploration and travel. It would allow us to travel vast distances in a relatively short amount of time, potentially making interstellar travel a possibility. It could also have applications in other fields such as astrophysics and cosmology.

4. What are the main challenges in developing a warp jet?

One of the main challenges is the amount of energy and resources that would be required to create and maintain a stable warp bubble. Additionally, the effects of manipulating space-time on the human body and the potential impact on the surrounding environment would need to be thoroughly studied and addressed.

5. What are scientists currently doing to explore the possibility of a warp jet?

Scientists are using various theoretical frameworks and mathematical models to understand the concept of warp drive and its potential feasibility. They are also conducting experiments and simulations to test the effects of manipulating space-time and to explore potential solutions for the challenges involved in developing a warp jet.