Exploring the Possibility of Wormhole Creation: A Scientific Perspective

In summary, there is a theoretical possibility of creating wormholes using exotic particles, such as negative energy, as suggested by pop-science literature. However, this raises questions about how it is possible since general relativity does not describe the topology of spacetime and requires assumptions. Some research suggests that it may be possible to stabilize a wormhole created from quantum foam using classical means, but it may also require a time machine. Further discussions on this topic can be found in papers such as "Wormholes, time machines, and the weak energy condition" by Morris, Thorne, and Yurtserver, as well as in Thorne's book "Einstein's Outrageous Legacy".
Umaxo
Hi,

if i understood correctly from pop-science literature, there is theoretical possibility of formation of wormholes like in this picture: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Wormhole-demo.png
bud you need some exotic particles (i think it means negative energy?).

Now what i really don't understand - how is this possible? General realitivity doesn't describe topology of spacetime, you need to assume it. So why this talk about exotic particles, or quantum foam, or entaglements or whatever they talk in popscience as possibility for creation of wormholes? I would imagine that even in empty space i can decide to identify certain parts of the spacetimes, or insert some (flat) bridge (cylinder) between them and still have flat, minkowski metric that describes whole spacetime with wormhole without need of any particles.

Sorry that i don't have specific quote form those pop-science books. So i would be glad just for some brief words on where the research of wormholes that you know of (those that connect certain part of space otherwise separated by long distance, not wormholes like einstein-rosen bridge in schwarzschild that makes no shortcut between two distant points of spacetime) stands in respect to my objections above.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Umaxo said:
Hi,

if i understood correctly from pop-science literature, there is theoretical possibility of formation of wormholes like in this picture: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Wormhole-demo.png
bud you need some exotic particles (i think it means negative energy?).

Now what i really don't understand - how is this possible? General realitivity doesn't describe topology of spacetime, you need to assume it. So why this talk about exotic particles, or quantum foam, or entaglements or whatever they talk in popscience as possibility for creation of wormholes? I would imagine that even in empty space i can decide to identify certain parts of the spacetimes, or insert some (flat) bridge (cylinder) between them and still have flat, minkowski metric that describes whole spacetime with wormhole without need of any particles.

Sorry that i don't have specific quote form those pop-science books. So i would be glad just for some brief words on where the research of wormholes that you know of (those that connect certain part of space otherwise separated by long distance, not wormholes like einstein-rosen bridge in schwarzschild that makes no shortcut between two distant points of spacetime) stands in respect to my objections above.

Thanks

Purely classically, I believe it requires a time machine to create a wormhole.

However, there are papers that suggest it'd would be possible to stabilize a wormhole that was created non-classically (say from the 'quantum foam' you menion), via purely classical means. I'd suggest looking at the Moris, Thorne, Yurtserver paper "Wormholes, time machines, and the weak energy condition", <<link>>.

The section where they say "Wormhole creation with such mild space-time curvature that classical general relativity is everywhere, must be accomponied by closed timelike curves and/or noncontinuous choice of future light cone. Which reads as "time machine" in lay terms. In the subsequent section they mention "quantum foam".

There's a popularized discussion in Throne's book, "Einstein's Outrageous Legacy" I believe.

1. What is a wormhole and how does it work?

A wormhole is a hypothetical tunnel connecting two distant points in space-time. It is often described as a shortcut through space-time, allowing for faster travel between two points that would otherwise be separated by great distances. The concept of a wormhole is based on Einstein's theory of general relativity, which suggests that space and time are interconnected and can be bent or warped by massive objects. Essentially, a wormhole would create a shortcut through this warped space-time, allowing for faster travel.

2. Is it possible to create a wormhole?

While the concept of a wormhole is theoretically possible, scientists have not yet found a way to create one. The energy and technology required to create and sustain a wormhole are beyond our current capabilities. Additionally, the immense gravitational forces and potential instability of a wormhole make it a challenging feat to achieve.

3. What are the potential benefits of wormhole travel?

If we were able to create and safely travel through a wormhole, the potential benefits would be immense. It could revolutionize space exploration, allowing us to travel to distant galaxies and potentially find habitable planets. It could also greatly reduce travel time for long-distance journeys within our own galaxy.

4. Are there any risks or dangers associated with wormhole travel?

Yes, there are several potential risks and dangers associated with wormhole travel. The gravitational forces near a wormhole could be extremely intense, making it difficult to enter or exit without being crushed. There is also the possibility of time dilation, where time passes at different rates on either end of the wormhole. This could lead to significant changes in age and potential paradoxes for travelers.

5. Is there any ongoing research or experiments being done to explore the possibility of wormhole creation?

Yes, there is ongoing research and experimentation being done to explore the possibility of wormhole creation. Some scientists are studying the potential use of exotic matter, which has negative energy and could theoretically stabilize a wormhole. Others are exploring the idea of using laser beams to create a microscopic wormhole. However, these are still in the early stages and much more research is needed before we can even begin to consider creating a stable and usable wormhole.