Exploring the Range of Equilibrium States in Tank Systems: A Ratio Approach

In summary, the question involves two equilibrium equations for tanks 1 and 2, with values of q1 and q2 that must be greater than or equal to 0. By taking the ratio of the two equations and substituting in values for q1 and q2, it is possible to determine the minimum and maximum possible equilibrium states. However, this method does not provide exact values for the equilibrium states, it only gives a range. It is not clear why the ratio method is used and if there is a way to find the exact equilibrium states instead. Further clarification would be needed.
MathewsMD
Given two equilibrium equations for a tank 1 and tank 2 with ## Q^E_1 =6(9q_1 +q_2) ## and ## Q^E_2 =20(3q_1 +2q_2) ##, respectively, where ## q_1, q_2 ≧ 0 ##, describe which possible equilibrium states for various values of ## q_1 ## and ## q_2 ## are possible.

I believe I know how the answer was derived, but would like an explanation, if possible.

What was done was:

Take ## \frac {Q^E_2}{Q^E_1} ## and then substitute ## q_1 = 0 ## to find one extrema, and then ## q_2 = 0 ## for another extrema. This yielded ## \frac {10}{9} ≤ \frac {Q^E_2}{Q^E_1} ≤ \frac {20}{3} ##. Now I understand the logic used somewhat (i.e. use the minimum values of q1 and q2 to to see where the maximum and minimum of the possible equilibria states lie), but why exactly is the ratio taken? Are not specific values for the equilibrium states wanted as per the question? How exactly does the ratio reveal the specific min and max for the equilibrium states? How do we know there is no higher or lower value for the equilibrium if ## q_1, q_2 ≠ 0 ##?

I feel like I am missing something here and any clarification would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
When just trying to "describe" the equilibrium states, is the ratio sufficient? Does the ratio have any particular meaning?

Also, is there a way to find the exact equilibrium states as opposed to a ratio?

1. What is the definition of "range for equilibria"?

The range for equilibria refers to the set of values for a variable in a chemical reaction where the reaction is at equilibrium. This means that the rate of the forward reaction is equal to the rate of the reverse reaction, resulting in no overall change in the concentration of reactants and products.

2. How do you calculate the range for equilibria?

The range for equilibria can be calculated by setting up an equilibrium expression using the concentrations of reactants and products, and then solving for the variable in question. This variable represents the range of values where the reaction is at equilibrium.

3. What factors can affect the range for equilibria?

The range for equilibria can be affected by changes in temperature, pressure, and the concentrations of reactants and products. These changes can shift the equilibrium position and therefore change the range for equilibria.

4. Why is it important to find the range for equilibria?

Knowing the range for equilibria allows us to understand how changes in conditions can affect the equilibrium position of a reaction. This information is crucial in predicting and controlling the outcome of a reaction and optimizing conditions for maximum product yield.

5. Can the range for equilibria be manipulated?

Yes, the range for equilibria can be manipulated by changing the conditions of the reaction, such as temperature, pressure, and concentrations. This can be done to favor the formation of a certain product or to shift the equilibrium position in a desired direction.