Exploring the Red Shift in Stars: Uncovering the Mysteries of Our Galaxy

In summary, stars appear blue to the naked eye, but are shown as red in pictures taken by scientists. This is due to local and cosmological redshift, which cannot be perceived without expensive tools due to the small size and distance of the affected objects.
elbeasto
When I look at the stars in the sky with my undressed eye, they are blue. But pictures of stars taken by scientist always show them as red.

Does this mean that the stars in our galaxy are fairly stationary and/or moving closer to earth? Will I find that most red shifts will be seen in stars that are in other galaxies? Or does this mean I need some expensive tool to see the red shift?

Physics news on Phys.org
elbeasto said:
When I look at the stars in the sky with my undressed eye, they are blue. But pictures of stars taken by scientist always show them as red.
Always? Where did you get that idea?
elbeasto said:
Does this mean that the stars in our galaxy are fairly stationary and/or moving closer to earth? Will I find that most red shifts will be seen in stars that are in other galaxies? Or does this mean I need some expensive tool to see the red shift?
There is local and cosmological redshift - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redshift"
The short answer is that you can't perceive redshift with the unaided eye. Local reshifts are too small to differentiate and the objects affected by cosmological redshifts are too far to see.

Last edited by a moderator:
Borg said:
Always? Where did you get that idea?

You are right. They are not 'always' red. I was making a statement more casual and generic than I should.

Borg said:
... you can't perceive redshift with the unaided eye. Local reshifts are too small to differentiate and the objects affected by cosmological redshifts are too far to see.
Cool thanks.

Related to Exploring the Red Shift in Stars: Uncovering the Mysteries of Our Galaxy

1. What is red shift in stars?

Red shift in stars is a phenomenon where the light emitted from stars appears to be shifted towards the red end of the spectrum. This is due to the expansion of the universe, which causes the wavelengths of light to stretch as they travel through space.

2. Why is studying red shift important?

Studying red shift in stars allows scientists to measure the distance and speed of objects in the universe. This information is crucial for understanding the structure and evolution of our galaxy, as well as the overall expansion of the universe.

3. How is red shift measured?

Red shift is measured using a device called a spectroscope, which splits light into its component wavelengths. By analyzing the position of spectral lines in the light emitted by stars, scientists can determine the amount of red shift and calculate the corresponding speed and distance.

4. What mysteries can we uncover by exploring red shift in stars?

By studying red shift, scientists can discover more about the distribution of matter in the universe, the rate of expansion, and the fate of the universe. It can also provide insights into the formation and evolution of galaxies, including our own Milky Way.

5. How does red shift in stars support the Big Bang theory?

The red shift observed in stars provides evidence for the Big Bang theory, which states that the universe began as a singularity and has been expanding ever since. The red shift is a direct result of this expansion, as the wavelengths of light are stretched as the universe grows.