Exploring the Relationship Between Distance and Wind Force | Experiment Results

• Thread starter Phylover
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force Wind
In summary: I did an experiment recently and found that there seems to exist a linear relationship (the R-squared value closest to one compared to quadratic fit, although they are pretty close) between the distance from the fan and the wind force.At distance zero there is a certain magnitude the force and the force just drops by a constant rate when further away (perpendicular to the fan surface) from the fan.The fan is in front of the object which I measure the acceleration. Any background theory in support of the findings? (just a normal electric fan we use at home)Interesting, can you post your data in a chart or graph?Do you have several force readings for each distance allowing a mean and an uncertainty
Phylover
I have done an experiment recently and found that there seems to exist a linear relationship (the R-squared value closest to one compared to quadratic fit, although they are pretty close) between the distance from the fan and the wind force.

At distance zero there is a certain magnitude the force and the force just drops by a constant rate when further away (perpendicular to the fan surface) from the fan.

The fan is in front of the object which I measure the acceleration. Any background theory in support of the findings? (just a normal electric fan we use at home)

Physics news on Phys.org
Interesting, can you post your data in a chart or graph?

Do you have several force readings for each distance allowing a mean and an uncertainty or just one force reading?

Do you have results for more than one fan speed?

I would expect the force to approach zero as an asymptote as the distance is increased.

Lots of functions can be nearly linear over a short span of input values. Think about what might happen at larger distances?

Can the force really be negative as a decreasing line would predict at some distance?

Dr. Courtney said:
Interesting, can you post your data in a chart or graph?

Do you have several force readings for each distance allowing a mean and an uncertainty or just one force reading?

Do you have results for more than one fan speed?

I would expect the force to approach zero as an asymptote as the distance is increased.

Lots of functions can be nearly linear over a short span of input values. Think about what might happen at larger distances?

Can the force really be negative as a decreasing line would predict at some distance?

Yes, I take three readings at each distance and then take an average of them.
I only have result for one fan speed.
Yes, I also think that it will approach zero as an asymptote as the distance is increased. But at certain distance the wind blown out by the fan cannot put the car into acceleration any more, and that's why I only have seven/ eight data points on my graph.
I don;t think the force can actually be negative because the further away the object from the fan, the smaller the force of pushing it away but it is unreasonable that the force of wind blown out by the fan actually pushes the object towards the fan.

OK, it seems that you are somehow using motion of a model car as a proxy for the "wind force." Are you actually computing a physics "force" are is your dependent variable really something else? You could compute a real net force if you know the mass of the car and measure the acceleration, but then you need to know the frictional force that must be overcome to separate out the wind force.

When communicating results of an experiment, the experimental method, and the independent and dependent variable are very important.

It is hard to suggest background theory without knowing more.

1. What is the purpose of the experiment?

The purpose of this experiment is to explore the relationship between distance and wind force. This will help us understand how wind force changes as distance from the source of the wind increases.

2. How was the experiment conducted?

The experiment was conducted by setting up a wind tunnel and using a device to measure wind force at different distances from the source of the wind. The distance was gradually increased in increments, and the wind force was recorded at each distance.

3. What were the results of the experiment?

The results showed that as the distance from the source of the wind increased, the wind force decreased. This relationship was found to be inversely proportional, meaning that as one variable increases, the other decreases at a constant rate.

4. How can these results be applied in real life?

These results can be applied in various real-life scenarios, such as predicting the impact of wind on structures or understanding the effectiveness of wind turbines at different distances from each other. It can also help in weather forecasting and predicting the intensity of windstorms.

5. Are there any limitations to this experiment?

Yes, there are limitations to this experiment. The results may vary depending on the specific conditions of the wind tunnel and the measuring device used. Also, the relationship between distance and wind force may differ in different environments and with varying wind speeds.