Exploring the Wankel Engine: Potential Advantages and Uses

In summary, the Wankel engine is a promising alternative for regular IC engines used in vehicles, but has had difficulty in terms of materials availability.
bags
Hey guys,
I just came to know about the wankel engine.It appears pretty much promising as an alternative for regular IC engines used in vehicles.Moreover they must be much more silent in operation also as there we get direct rotary motion for shaft.So why they havn't been used so much or if yes then where?I am curious to know about it.
THANKS...

Engineering news on Phys.org
They have been used in the Mazda motor car and Norton motorcycle, for some years, i think (tip seal) is the main problem with them, but i will leave
it to Fred or Brewey etc ,to explain more.

I first read of the Wankel engine back in the mid '60s. Even then it looked great on paper. Unfortunately when you compare the average speed of the sealing surface with that of a reciprocating engine the problem becomes clear. In a reciprocating engine the seals come to a complete stop 2 times each cycle (top and bottom of motion) while the Wankel seals never slow down, they are always running at a high speed. This posed major difficulties for the material available in the last half of the 20th century. I believe that they have now developed materials which can provide the continuous high speed seal needed. We may be seeing a better Wankel on the market in the future.

I had (actually still have) a snowmobile with a Sachs rotary engine in it. I believe it is a 1971 Arctic Cat. 303 cc. They came in later model sleds too. I recall a 505 being available. I also own an 85 RX-7 with a 1.3 liter electronic fuel injected rotary. They aren't worth much monetarily, but mine is in well above average condition for an 85. I'm not a huge fan of the Wankel but I can't say I've have anything specific against them. Ignition seems to be more critical in a rotary engine. The spark needs to be a good hot spark or they run poorly if at all. The snowmobile has only one spark plug and one rotor. The Mazda has 2 plugs per rotor for a total of 4 plugs. One plug fires early and the other late in the power portion of the cycle.

Materials have come a long way, but as the RX-8 is currently showing emissions, fuel consumption and oil consumption are still abismal, especially when compared to boingers.
However, compare the time/money that has been invested into developing piston engines with that of the rotaries. It's no wonder they aren't at the same level.

Related to Exploring the Wankel Engine: Potential Advantages and Uses

1. What is a Wankel engine?

A Wankel engine is a type of internal combustion engine that uses a rotary design instead of the traditional reciprocating motion found in most engines. It was invented by Felix Wankel in the 1950s and is known for its compact size and high power-to-weight ratio.

2. What are the advantages of a Wankel engine?

One of the main advantages of a Wankel engine is its compact size and simple design, which allows for fewer moving parts and less maintenance. Additionally, it has a higher power-to-weight ratio compared to traditional engines, meaning it can produce more power for its size. It also has a smoother operation and less vibration.

3. How does a Wankel engine work?

A Wankel engine uses a triangular rotor that spins inside an oval-shaped housing. The rotor has three convex sides and is offset from the center of the housing. As the rotor spins, the three chambers between the rotor and housing expand and contract, creating the necessary suction, compression, and exhaust phases for combustion to occur.

4. What are the potential uses of a Wankel engine?

Wankel engines are commonly used in vehicles such as motorcycles and sports cars, as well as in aircraft and small engines like lawn mowers. They are also being explored for use in hybrid vehicles and as a power source for portable generators. Additionally, Wankel engines are being studied for their potential use in hydrogen-powered vehicles.

5. What are some challenges with using Wankel engines?

One of the main challenges with Wankel engines is their high fuel consumption. They also tend to produce higher emissions compared to traditional engines. There have also been challenges with maintaining a proper seal between the rotor and housing, which can lead to reduced efficiency and potential engine failure. However, advancements in technology and materials are continuously being made to address these challenges.