How can I chemically regenerate my car's catalytic converter?

• Thread starter BadCatP0420
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemistry
In summary, chemical regeneration of a car's catalytic converter involves the use of a specific chemical solution to remove built-up deposits and restore the converter's efficiency. This process is typically done by a professional mechanic and can greatly extend the lifespan of the converter, saving car owners from having to replace it altogether. It is important to regularly maintain and clean the catalytic converter to ensure it remains functioning properly and reduces harmful emissions from the vehicle.
BadCatP0420
How did you find PF?
I Googled "chemistry forums"
Hello all!

I've joined your forum here because I have some (what I believe are probably) basic but precise chemistry questions and I don't know any chemists or chemistry professors (or even chemistry students) whom I can ask. Recently, my car's catalytic converter's been giving me some trouble and in researching potential remedies, I came across some academic papers by scientists in Europe who (using chemical processes in their labs) were able to very successfully chemically regenerate old, clogged up converter substrates. Although they conducted their experiments scientifically in lab conditions, but per their papers, the research is ultimately geared for real world applications.

I have been thinking about how to adapt what I read and understood of their work for my own real world purpose, and this prompted some basic chemistry questions about scaling, acids, materials, etc. My post (which includes these questions) is unfortunately long, but that cannot be helped because in order to ask my questions, background context and an understanding of the specific situation is necessary. (Also your forums here do say that when one posts, to please include as much detail and support material as possible - so, guilty!)

If assisting a layperson with some basic chemistry questions after a few minutes of reading about automobile emissions, catalytic converters, and the chemical acid backwashing of them sounds to you like 'time well spent', then I'd kindly invite you to go over to the chemistry forum and look for a post called "Chemically regenerating auto's catalytic converter ?'s", by BadCatP0420

Don't really know what kind of assistances I can provide in return for people who regularly browse physics, chemistry & engineering forums, but if you have questions about old Toyota 4Runners, model railroading, or what it's like being part of a working film crew member in "Hollywood", please send 'em my way and I'll do my best to return the favor! Thanx & good to be here!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the forum

Just read your post. Wowzers ! That IS long. Posts that long tend to put most folks off, so good luck with that.

You're right, but I dunno a better way to say it. Thank you for reading!