Exploring Wave-Particle Duality: Simultaneous Histories

• Thread starter scilover89
  • Start date
  • Tags
    History
In summary, particles exhibit wave-particle duality and can take every possible route when not observed. When observed, the particle follows only one observed route. This is demonstrated through the two-slit experiment, where unobserved particles show an interference pattern and observed particles do not. It is believed that the collapse of all states to one when observed is a fact without reason in the realm of quantum mechanics. This is because there is currently no known explanation for this phenomenon, and it is only one interpretation of the observed data.
scilover89
As many people here will know, particles have wave-particle duality. A American scientist, Richard Feyman, suggested that when a particle move from a point to another, the particle can move through every possible route, not only one route (or history) as described in classical theory. The route we observed is the only possible route.
The question is, if more than one route is possible will we observed more than one route?

p/s: I am still learning quantum mechanic, please correct me if I am wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
No, we will not observe more than one route.

The particle will follow every possible route - all states will be superposed - as long as it is not *observed*. When observed, the states all collapse to one, which we observe.

This is what the two-slit experiment shows so clearly. If we do not observe which slit the photon passes through, then it passes through both, interferes with itself, and we see an interference pattern. If we put detectors at the slits, thus observing the photon, it is seen to pass through only one slit, and we get no interference pattern.

Thus, when not observed, the photon has experienced multiple superposed histories. When observed, it has experienced only one history.

Thanks, I think I know what you meant. But why must all states collapse to one when oberved? Is there a reason for this? Or this is just a fact without reason?

The nature of measurment is that!
When you say that the system is in one specified state , it means that if you make another measurment, you will find the system in that state again. If not, your measurment is not reasonable! and you can not trust on it. So every measurment put the system in the eigen state of the measured value

"But why must all states collapse to one when oberved? Is there a reason for this? Or this is just a fact without reason?"

I believe 'fact without reason' is about right.

I don't know if anyone knows the physics behind this yet - we undestand so little in this realm. It is only one interpretation of the observed data, afterall, and a hotly debated one at that. As we get farther and farther into QM, we find that the only meaningful answer is that there are no real-world explanations, and that it's all a matter of mathematical formulae.

I think it is not just "a fact without reason"
The argument behind it is about clear . Or maybe I think so!

Related to Exploring Wave-Particle Duality: Simultaneous Histories

1. What is wave-particle duality?

Wave-particle duality is the concept in quantum mechanics that explains the behavior of particles as both waves and particles. This means that particles like electrons and photons can exhibit properties of both waves and particles, depending on how they are observed or measured.

2. How does wave-particle duality affect our understanding of the universe?

Wave-particle duality challenges our traditional understanding of the universe, as it suggests that particles can exist in multiple states or locations simultaneously. This concept has led to the development of theories such as the Copenhagen interpretation and the many-worlds interpretation, which attempt to explain the implications of wave-particle duality on our understanding of reality.

3. What is the significance of simultaneous histories in wave-particle duality?

Simultaneous histories refer to the idea that particles can exist in multiple states or positions at the same time. This is a fundamental aspect of wave-particle duality and is crucial in understanding the behavior of quantum particles.

4. How is wave-particle duality observed in experiments?

Wave-particle duality has been observed in various experiments, such as the double-slit experiment which showed that particles can behave like waves, and the photoelectric effect which demonstrated that light behaves like particles. Other experiments, such as the quantum eraser experiment, also support the concept of wave-particle duality.

5. What are the practical applications of understanding wave-particle duality?

Understanding wave-particle duality is essential in the development of technologies such as quantum computing, which takes advantage of the multiple states of particles to perform complex calculations. It also has implications in fields such as cryptography, communication, and energy production.