Exploring Zeno's Paradox: Is It Valid?

• Thread starter Deepak K Kapur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Paradox
In summary, Zeno's paradox states that it is impossible to finish or start a race because there is an infinite number of points between any two points. This means that each point has a size of zero, leading to the question of whether this paradox is valid. However, this paradox has been deemed invalid due to bad math and has been dismissed as crackpottery. Further discussion on this topic is restricted and readers are encouraged to read older threads for more information.
Deepak K Kapur
Zeno said that you can't finish or start a race because there is an infinty of points between any two points.

Let's take a distance of say 1meter. As per zeno there is an infinity of points in this distance.

So, what is the size of each of these points. Of course, 1/infinity=0. i.e. each point has a zero size.

In other words, the distance of 1m has zero size... ( because whole is at least the sum of its parts if not anything else).

Seen from this viewpoint, is this paradox valid?

Physics news on Phys.org
I know limit 1/infinity = very close to 0. I.e you can divide into smaller and smaller points but it's never actually 0, because that's not a point.

I may be wrong but that's so small that it hardly has a meaning 'in our world'. So I would solve this by dividing the metre in a measurable quantity. Otherwise you'll never be able to compute a distance because you'll be dividing forever.

This is probably an antiphilosophical approach but I don't know other way to tackle it.

Zeno's paradox has been little more than bad math since it was proposed and obviously never has reflected reality since we can and do actually move. It most certainly is not valid. And by this point in time it has reached the level of crackpottery, so we're restricting discussion of it. Please just read one of the older threads on it.

Locked.

1. What is Zeno's Paradox?

Zeno's Paradox is a philosophical puzzle created by ancient Greek philosopher Zeno of Elea. It questions the concept of motion by arguing that in order to reach a destination, one must first travel half the distance, then half of the remaining distance, and so on, resulting in an infinite number of smaller distances that must be overcome. This suggests that motion is impossible, as one can never reach their destination.

2. Is Zeno's Paradox valid?

The validity of Zeno's Paradox is still a subject of debate among philosophers and scientists. Some argue that it exposes flaws in our understanding of motion and space, while others propose solutions using mathematical concepts such as calculus. Ultimately, the validity of the paradox depends on one's perspective and interpretation.

3. How does Zeno's Paradox relate to modern physics?

Zeno's Paradox is often used as a thought experiment in modern physics to explore concepts such as infinity, time, and space. It has influenced the development of theories such as relativity and quantum mechanics, and continues to be a source of inspiration for scientists and philosophers alike.

4. What are some proposed solutions to Zeno's Paradox?

One proposed solution is the use of mathematical concepts such as limits and infinite series. Another solution is the concept of potential infinity, which suggests that while there may be an infinite number of smaller distances, they can still be traversed in a finite amount of time. Some also argue that the paradox is based on flawed assumptions and that motion is possible despite the infinite divisions.

5. How can we apply Zeno's Paradox to our understanding of the world?

Zeno's Paradox serves as a reminder to critically examine our assumptions and perceptions of the world. It challenges us to question what we think we know and encourages us to think deeply about concepts such as infinity, time, and motion. By exploring the paradox, we can gain a deeper understanding of the complexities of the universe and our place within it.