Explosive ejection of higher frequencies by lower freq In 2 tesla coils

In summary, Bobbywhy suggests that ball lightning may not be hot plasma, but rather small glowing balls. He has extensive anecdotal and technical evidence to support this claim.
taylaron
Gold Member
Greetings PF'rs
I'm researching a phenominon called ball lightning and one supposed method of generating ball lightning is to take two tesla coils of different resonant frequencies but are pulsed with the same secondary coil. The lower frequency coil induces a current in the nearby higher frequency coil and when the two waves in the HF coil constructively interfere, all the power in the HF coil is released at the location of the peak interference and the charge collects on a piece of soot on the wire, forming ball lightning.

I spoke to my friend who works on the power grid about this phenomenon and said he had heard of it before, although not in this context and couldn't remember what the effect was called. Can anyone tell me what this explosive ejection of charge is called?

Referenced texts: http://home.dmv.com/~tbastian/ball.htm

Regards,
Tay

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Tay, Sorry, but I cannot offer you any information on the explosive ejection of charge. I was able to find the same experiment, however. In the “Operation” section under experiment #1. these authors mention Tesla’s “Low Q” explanation and admit it is correct, but they explain the process by the rapid changes in coil impedances.
http://www.ussdiscovery.com/corum/corum/corum.htm

However the experiment works, my comment is that the above experiment will not produce Ball Lightning (BL) as found in nature. It may produce small hot plasma balls, quite interesting in themselves. But BL is not hot plasma. If it were, it would rise in the air and it never reported as rising. Also, it forms in nature without high frequency oscillators or carbon soot.

I have extensive anecdotal reports of BL observations worldwide, a large collection of technical material, and even my own theory of what BL consists of. If you are interested in persuing any of this, send me a private message.

Cheers,
Bobbywhy

taylaron said:
Greetings PF'rs
I'm researching a phenominon called ball lightning and one supposed method of generating ball lightning is to take two tesla coils of different resonant frequencies but are pulsed with the same secondary coil.
I recall reading In a bio about Tesla that one of his party tricks was to reach into his briefcase and retrieve glowing ball lightning which he would juggle for a while before returning it to the briefcase. No one has ever been able to replicate this, or even suggest how he could have done this.

Maybe you'll be the one to rediscover it ... http://imageshack.us/a/img502/7752/goodluckemoticon.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is an explosive ejection of higher frequencies by lower frequencies in 2 tesla coils?

The explosive ejection of higher frequencies by lower frequencies in 2 tesla coils refers to a phenomenon where a high-frequency discharge is produced by a low-frequency discharge in a tesla coil. This happens when the low-frequency discharge creates a plasma channel, which allows for the high-frequency discharge to travel through and create a more powerful and explosive effect.

2. How does this phenomenon occur in 2 tesla coils?

This phenomenon occurs in 2 tesla coils due to the unique design of the coils. Tesla coils are made up of two primary components: a primary coil and a secondary coil. The primary coil is connected to a power source and creates a low-frequency discharge, while the secondary coil is connected to the primary coil and produces a high-frequency discharge. When these two coils are properly synchronized, it creates the explosive ejection of higher frequencies by lower frequencies.

3. What are the potential applications of this phenomenon?

The explosive ejection of higher frequencies by lower frequencies in 2 tesla coils has potential applications in various fields such as entertainment, research, and industrial uses. In entertainment, it can be used for special effects in concerts and shows. In research, it can be used to study plasma and electrical discharges. In industry, it can be used for material processing and sterilization.

4. Are there any safety precautions to consider when working with 2 tesla coils?

Yes, there are safety precautions to consider when working with 2 tesla coils. These coils produce high voltages and can be dangerous if not handled properly. It is important to follow safety guidelines and wear protective gear when working with tesla coils. Additionally, proper training and knowledge of the equipment are crucial to ensure safe operation.

5. Can this phenomenon be replicated in other types of coils?

Yes, this phenomenon can be replicated in other types of coils, such as Van de Graaff generators and Jacob's ladders. These types of coils also produce high-frequency discharges and can create similar effects to the explosive ejection of higher frequencies by lower frequencies in 2 tesla coils. However, the design and setup may vary, and it is important to understand the specific characteristics of each type of coil to replicate the phenomenon safely and effectively.