Express (2n+1)(2n+3)(2n+5) (4n-3)(4n-1) in factorials

• Thread starter VinnyW
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Factorials
In summary, you are stuck on a problem involving factorials. You can solve the problem if you take a simple example.
VinnyW

Homework Statement

Express (2n+1)(2n+3)(2n+5)...(4n-3)(4n-1) in terms of factorials

Homework Equations

n!=n(n-1)!

The Attempt at a Solution

I know (2n+1)+(2n+3)+⋯+(4n−1)=∑2n−1+2k, where k starts as k = 1 and increases to infinity.
Then I was stuck. I am trying to learn maths on my own but it is getting more difficult.

Physics news on Phys.org
VinnyW said:

Homework Statement

Express (2n+1)(2n+3)(2n+5)...(4n-3)(4n-1) in terms of factorials

Homework Equations

n!=n(n-1)!

The Attempt at a Solution

I know (2n+1)+(2n+3)+⋯+(4n−1)=∑2n−1+2k, where k starts as k = 1 and increases to infinity.
Then I was stuck. I am trying to learn maths on my own but it is getting more difficult.

How would you write B = (2n+1) (2n+2)(2n+3) (2n+4)(2n+5)...(4n-3) (4n-2)(4n-1) (4n) in terms of factorials? How is B related to the original expression A=(2n+1)(2n+3)(2n+5)...(4n-3)(4n-1)?

It might help you to know that a product of even numbers, 2(4)(6)...(2n-2)(2n), is equal to [tex][2(1)][2(3)]...[2(n-1)][2(n)]= 2^n n![/tex].

And a product of odd numbers, 1(3)(5)...(2n+1), is equal to [tex]\frac{1(2)(3)(4)...(2n-1)(2n)(2n+1)}{2(4)(6)...(2n)}= \frac{(2n+1)!}{2^n n!}[/tex]

Good news is this is/was pretty easy, bad news is you are/were stuck on it. You can hardly afford to be stuck on easy questions if you are on self-study. I recommend you get hold of Polya's "How to solve it" which is short and costs next to nothing.

It boils down to about five recommendations for when you are stuck.

The relevant one here is: take a simple example!

Write down your original question formula for some n, say 3 or 4. Write down B for the same n.
Write down n! for the same choice of n. Write down (4n - 1)! for that n. Write down (2n - 1)! Write down n!, write 2n! You should soon see what you have to do. And that that your Σ is far more advanced than needed for this question.

Tell us the answer. (If not I will not try to help you another time.)

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of expressing this equation in factorials?

The purpose of expressing this equation in factorials is to simplify it and make it easier to solve. Factorials can help reduce the number of terms and make the equation more manageable.

2. How do you express (2n+1)(2n+3)(2n+5) (4n-3)(4n-1) in factorials?

To express this equation in factorials, we can use the formula (n+1)! = n*(n+1). This can be applied to each term in the equation, and then the resulting factorials can be simplified and combined.

3. What are the steps to solving this equation using factorials?

The steps to solving this equation using factorials include:1. Expand the equation and group like terms.2. Apply the factorial formula (n+1)! = n*(n+1) to each term.3. Simplify and combine the factorials.4. Use known factorial values (such as 3! = 6) to further simplify the equation.5. Solve for the value of n.6. Plug in the value of n to find the final answer.

4. Can this equation be solved without using factorials?

Yes, this equation can also be solved without using factorials. It can be expanded and simplified using algebraic techniques such as grouping like terms and factoring. However, using factorials can make the process more efficient and less prone to error.

5. What real-life applications does this equation have?

This equation may have applications in fields such as mathematics, physics, and engineering. It can be used to solve problems involving combinations and permutations, as well as in the calculation of probabilities and in the simplification of complex equations. It may also have applications in computer science and data analysis, where factorial calculations are commonly used.