What is the algebraic proof for the remainder of 11 when dividing by 12?

• Thread starter Physiona
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, the conversation is about a grade 9 paper question that asks to prove algebraically that the sum of the squares of any three consecutive odd numbers always leaves a remainder of 11 when divided by 12. The person has attempted the question by labeling the numbers and squaring them, but is unsure of how to get the remainder of 11. The expert summarizes by pointing out that the solution is already present in the person's work, and provides a link for more information on polynomial long division.
Physiona
Thread moved from the technical forums, so no Homework Template is shown
I'm currently doing a grade 9 paper, and one of the following questions is tripping me up a little bit:

Prove algebraically that the sum of the squares of any three consecutive odd numbers always leaves a remainder of 11, when divided by 12.

My attempt of the question:

I have labelled 3 consecutive odd numbers as:
2n+1, 2n+3, and 2n+5.
I've squared them:
(2n+1)2: 4n2+4n+1
(2n+3)2: 4n2+12n+9
(2n+5)2: 4n2+20n+25

I've attempted to then add all the squared numbers which led me to the expression of: 12n2+36n+35. From here, I have attempted to divide by 12, which leads me to n2+3n+35/12. I'm not sure how to get the remainder of 11, do I take factors out, or is my working solution wrong? Any guidance? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
You are almost there:

Notice ##12n^2 + 36n + 35 = 12n^2 + 36n + 24 + 11 = 12(n^2 + 3n + 2) +11##

And this proves the claim.

Likes Physiona
You seem to have done all the hard work and then failed to spot the answer when it's staring you in the face!

Likes Physiona
Math_QED said:
You are almost there:

Notice ##12n^2 + 36n + 35 = 12n^2 + 36n + 24 + 11 = 12(n^2 + 36n + 2) +11##

And this proves the claim.
Aha, that makes sense! Thank you for the quick reply!

PeroK said:
You seem to have done all the hard work and then failed to spot the answer when it's staring you in the face!
Yep, I know! I intend to do that, and it often causes me frustration! I've worked it out now, thank you!

The long division algorithm for polynomials is quite similar to that of decimal numbers, and the remainder is defined in the same way in both. In a more difficult case, the divisor can also contain an unknown variable (unlike the divisor 12 in this example). Here's a link to more info.

http://www.purplemath.com/modules/polydiv2.htm

1. What is an algebraic proof?

An algebraic proof is a method of proving a mathematical statement or theorem using algebraic equations and properties. It involves using algebraic manipulations and logical reasoning to show that the given statement is true.

2. How is algebraic proof different from other types of proofs?

Algebraic proofs differ from other types of proofs, such as geometric proofs, in that they use algebraic equations and properties to prove a statement, rather than visual or geometric representations.

3. What are the steps to creating an algebraic proof?

The steps to creating an algebraic proof include identifying the given statement, setting up and manipulating equations using algebraic properties, providing a logical explanation for each step, and concluding with a statement that the original statement is true.

4. Can you give an example of an algebraic proof?

Sure! Here is an example of an algebraic proof:
Given: 2x + 4 = 12
Prove: x = 4
Proof:
2x + 4 = 12
2x = 12 - 4
2x = 8
x = 8 ÷ 2
x = 4
Therefore, the given statement is true.

5. Why is algebraic proof important?

Algebraic proof is important because it allows us to prove mathematical statements and theorems using a logical and systematic approach. It also helps to develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, which are essential in various fields of science and mathematics.