Express dH(V,T) as a state function

In summary: No. But you can also start with your equation for dU interns of dT and dV, and add PdV+VdP to get dH.right so ##dH = dU + PdV + VdP##In summary, the problem is to find the enthalpy as a function of volume and temperature. The first step is to express the enthalpy as a state function. The second step is to use the chain rule to find the dS and dP.
grandpa2390

Homework Statement

the entire problem is to show that the enthalpy as a function of volume and temperature can be expressed in the form:...
I am having trouble with the first step.

Homework Equations

dH = TdS + VdP
##dH = (\frac{∂H}{∂S})dS + (\frac{∂H}{∂P})dP##

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the second one is the state function but I can't find anything definitive.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think this is what they want you to do. I think what they want is to start out with dH = TdS+VdP, and then use the the chain rule to express dS(V,T) and dP(V,T). The partial of S with respect to T is known in terms of Cv. The partial of S with respect to V is obtained from a Maxwell relationship.

Likes grandpa2390
Chestermiller said:
I don't think this is what they want you to do. I think what they want is to start out with dH = TdS+VdP, and then use the the chain rule to express dS(V,T) and dP(V,T). The partial of S with respect to T is known in terms of Cv. The partial of S with respect to V is obtained from a Maxwell relationship.

I'm glad you're here. I'm not sure what I am supposed to do exactly. I'm trying to figure it out.

the problem is to show that enthalpy as a function of volume and temperature can be expressed in the form

##dH = (P + π_T - \frac{1}{k_T})dV + (C_v + V(\frac{∂P}{∂T})_v)dT##

by following the steps below.

the first step is to express dH(V,T) as a state function.

I thought the state functions were something to memorize.
I'm going to write out what you said, and think about it. Because that is the first step. thanks ;)

if you want the rest of the steps, I'll post them. I just don't want to seem like I am asking for the solution.

grandpa2390 said:
I'm glad you're here. I'm not sure what I am supposed to do exactly. I'm trying to figure it out.

the problem is to show that enthalpy as a function of volume and temperature can be expressed in the form

##dH = (P + π_T - \frac{1}{k_T})dV + (C_v + V(\frac{∂P}{∂T})_v)dT##

by following the steps below.

the first step is to express dH(V,T) as a state function.

I thought the state functions were something to memorize.
I'm going to write out what you said, and think about it. Because that is the first step. thanks ;)

if you want the rest of the steps, I'll post them. I just don't want to seem like I am asking for the solution.
Yes. Seeing that solution, the steps that I recommended to follow are perfect.

Chet

Likes grandpa2390
Chestermiller said:
Forgive me it's been so long I'm going to retake multivariable in the summer. But I don't know how to use the chain rule here.
I know if I was doing the chain rule of y = x*y it would d
Chestermiller said:
Yes. Seeing that solution, the steps that I recommended to follow are perfect.

Chet

ok. It's been so long since I took multivariable, I plan on retaking it during the summer. so I am going to have to look up what you mean by the chain rule in this case.
I'll be back with questions after I give your suggestion a good attempt :)

right now I only know the f'g + g'f, but I don't know how to use it here

Chestermiller said:

are you saying to use the chain rule on dH to get the dS and dP?

grandpa2390 said:
are you saying to use the chain rule on dH to get the dS and dP?
No. But you can also start with your equation for dU interns of dT and dV, and add PdV+VdP to get dH.

Likes grandpa2390
Chestermiller said:
No. But you can also start with your equation for dU interns of dT and dV, and add PdV+VdP to get dH.

ok so ##dH = dU + PdV + VdP##Ah! I got it! :)

I divide by dV and then use relations and identities to get the term in front of the dV

Chestermiller said:
but I'm not getting why this goes in parenthesis before the dV.

what is the step in between ?

wait a minute... no nvm. I thought I had something for a moment...

well I have that mu_T = -dV + VdT ...

Last edited:
I don't know. I am racking my brains to figure out the why you recommended works. I just can't see it. : (

and so I can't duplicate it for the other term

if I divide the entire dH = dU + PdV + VdP by dT then I get the the second term except for a PVa as well...

Last edited:
Chestermiller said:

edit: I think what threw me off this entire time was that my professor wrote this in the question: ##dH = U + PV##, and I didn't know how to work that in. but I am questioning now if it isn't supposed to be ##H = U + PV## because that is what it was in the previous question...well maybe:

##dH = U + PV##

##(\frac{∂H}{∂V}) = (\frac{∂U}{∂V})+P(\frac{∂V}{∂V})+V(\frac{∂P}{∂V})## which of course simplifies to the left

for the second term
##dH = U + PV##

can I do this?

##(\frac{dH}{dT})_v = (\frac{∂U}{∂T}) + (\frac{∂(PV)}{∂T})##
v is a constant so
##(\frac{∂H}{∂T})_v = (\frac{∂U}{∂T}) + V(\frac{∂(P)}{∂T})##

##= C_v + V(\frac{∂(P)}{∂T})##

in both cases multiply both sides by the ∂V and ∂T at the end to get the dT and dV in each term?

This is the best I can come up with so far.

so with the revelation that my professor probably made a typo on the problem sheet, I am now thinking that this problem was real simple. If I want to express as a function of volume and temperature, take the function and take the derivative with respect to volume and temperature.

if that is correct
the second part is to show that for an ideal gas it simplifies to dH = C_p dT
I got the C_p dT part
but the first term simplifies to P-(1/P) dV. the only thing I can think is that since P is a constant, it is equal to zero due to the dV. but I'm not sure if that makes sense...

I know that you are familiar with the following 3 equations:
$$dU=C_vdT+\left[T\left(\frac{\partial P}{\partial T}\right)_V-P\right]dV$$
$$dH=dU+PdV+VdP$$
and
$$dP=\left(\frac{\partial P}{\partial T}\right)_VdT+\left(\frac{\partial P}{\partial V}\right)_TdV$$

Just combine them, and you will have what you want.

Likes grandpa2390

What is a state function?

A state function is a thermodynamic property that depends only on the current state of a system, and not on how the system arrived at that state. In other words, it is independent of the path or process by which the system reached its current state.

How is dH(V,T) expressed as a state function?

dH(V,T) is expressed as a state function by considering the change in enthalpy (H) as a function of volume (V) and temperature (T). This means that the value of dH will be the same for the same change in volume and temperature, regardless of the path taken to reach that change.

Why is it important to express dH(V,T) as a state function?

Expressing dH(V,T) as a state function allows us to simplify thermodynamic calculations and make predictions about a system's behavior. It also helps us understand the relationships between different thermodynamic properties, and how they are affected by changes in volume and temperature.

What are the units of dH(V,T) when expressed as a state function?

When dH(V,T) is expressed as a state function, its units are typically joules per mole (J/mol). This unit reflects the change in enthalpy per mole of substance in the system.

Can dH(V,T) be measured directly as a state function?

No, dH(V,T) cannot be measured directly as a state function. Instead, it is calculated using other thermodynamic properties such as internal energy, pressure, and volume. However, once dH(V,T) is expressed as a state function, its value can be used in calculations to predict changes in enthalpy of a system.