Express the system in state space form

In summary, the conversation discusses how to express a given system in state-space form, using both transfer function and components A, B, C, and D as the states. The attempted solution involves analyzing each branch and finding the correct expressions for x1, x2, x3, and x4. The correct expression for the last branch is determined, with the use of parentheses in the denominators being recommended.
MattH150197

Homework Statement

The question asks me to express the system shown in the image in state-space form, firstly by using the transfer function which was fine but the second part asks to express in state-space form by using the components A,B,C,D as the states x1,x2,x3,x4

Homework Equations

U(s) = input

The Attempt at a Solution

So looking at each branch i got the following:
(U(s) - x4)*(4/s+6) = x1
(x1)*(6/s+3) = x3
(x1)*(2/s+2) = x2
these were all correct looking at the mark scheme but for the last branch i did: (x2+x3)*(1/S+1) = x4 whereas the mark scheme says it should be (X1+x2) *(1/S+1) = x4. I don't know why its x1 instead of x3 because looking at the block diagram x2 and x3 are added just before the x4 branch. Can anyone see where i am going wrong?

Attachments

• Exam question.png
    Exam question.png
    16 KB · Views: 538
Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct.

PS. Put parentheses around your denominators. 4/s+6 should be 4/(s+6)

Thanks for clearing it up!

What is "Express the system in state space form"?

"Express the system in state space form" is a mathematical representation of a physical system that describes its current state and how it evolves over time. This form is widely used in control theory, signal processing, and other areas of science and engineering.

Why is it important to express a system in state space form?

Expressing a system in state space form allows for a more concise and efficient representation of its behavior. This form also makes it easier to analyze and control the system, as well as to design controllers and filters for it.

What are the elements of a state space representation?

The state space representation consists of state variables, input variables, output variables, and system matrices. The state variables represent the internal state of the system, the input variables represent the external inputs to the system, and the output variables represent the system's response to those inputs. The system matrices determine the relationship between these variables and how they change over time.

How do you convert a system into state space form?

To convert a system into state space form, the first step is to identify the state variables, input variables, and output variables. Then, the equations describing the system's behavior are written in terms of these variables. Finally, the system matrices are determined by manipulating these equations to obtain a set of first-order differential equations.

Can any system be expressed in state space form?

Yes, any system that can be described by a set of differential equations can be expressed in state space form. This form can handle both linear and nonlinear systems, as well as time-invariant and time-varying systems.