Expressing a rational expression in partial fractions

In summary: A= 2(3/5)= 6/5 so 2A- 2B- 2C= 6/5- 2B- 2C= 1 so -2B- 2C= 1- 6/5= 5/5- 6/5= -1/5. 4B= -1/5- 2C so B= -1/20- (1/2)C. Now, from A+ B= 1, 3/5+ B= 1 so B= 2/5. 4(2/5)= 8/5 so 8/5-
MathsRetard09
Trying to help out a friend.

I appolagise if yet again this is in the wrong part of the forum, i haven't an idea what it is categorised as, I am an apprentice engineer and simply that lol

Can someone explain how the following is done:

x^2 – x + 1 / (x - 2)(x^2 + 1) ≅ A / (x - 2) + Bx + C / x^2 + 1

"Using a mixture of substitution and equating gives A= 3/5, B= 2/5, C = -1/5 "

I truly would appreciate any replies, oddly enough i actually want to understand what this type of mathematics is used for so yes I am looking for a bit of detail involved, if you cba its ok, like i say I am helping someone else, but trying to understand at the same time.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi MathsRetard09! :smile:

(try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)
MathsRetard09 said:
x^2 – x + 1 / (x - 2)(x^2 + 1) ≅ A / (x - 2) + Bx + C / x^2 + 1

"Using a mixture of substitution and equating gives A= 3/5, B= 2/5, C = -1/5 "

Is there a bracket shortage where you are??

I assume you mean (x2 – x + 1) / (x - 2)(x2 + 1) ≅ A / (x - 2) + (Bx + C) / x2 + 1 …

just expand the RHS over the whole (x - 2)(x2 + 1) :smile:

I assume you mean
[tex]\frac{x^2- x+ 1}{(x-2)(x^2+ 1)}= \frac{A}{x- 2}+ \frac{Bx+ C}{x^2+ 1}[/tex].

Multiply on both sides by [itex](x- 2)(x^2+ 1)[/itex] to get
[tex]x^2- x+ 1= A(x^2+ 1)+ (Bx+ C)(x- 2)[/tex]

Now there are several ways to find A, B, and C.

If you multiply the terms on the right and "combine like terms" you get
[tex]x^2- x+ 1= A(x^2+ 1)+ (Bx+ C) (x-2)= Ax^2+ A+ Bx^2+ (C- 2B)x- 2C[/tex][tex]= (A+ B)x^2+ (C- 2B)x+ (A- 2C)[/tex]

Now, in order for two polynomials to be equal for all x, their corresponding coefficients must be equal:
A+ B= 1, C- 2B= -1, A- 3C= 1, three equations to solve for A, B, and C.

Or, just put any three numbers you like for x to get three equations. Because of that "x- 2" term, x= 2 makes an especially simple equation:
2^2- 2+ 1= 3= A(2^2+ 1)+ (2B+ C)(2- 2)= 5A so A= 3/5.

Since there is no x that will make [itex]x^2+ 1[/itex], just put, say, x= 0 and x= 1.
If x= 0, 0^2- 0+ 1= 1= A(0^2+ 1)+ (2B+ C)(0-2)= A- 4B- 2C and,
if x= 1, 1^2- 1+ 1= 1= A(1^2+ 1)+ (2B+ C)(1- 2)= 2A- 2B- 2C.

Since we already know A, that is two equations to solve for B and C.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Expressing a rational expression in partial fractions

1. What is a rational expression?

A rational expression is a mathematical expression that can be written as a ratio of two polynomials. It often includes variables and can be simplified by factoring both the numerator and denominator.

2. Why do we need to express a rational expression in partial fractions?

Expressing a rational expression in partial fractions allows us to break down a complex expression into simpler parts. This can help us solve equations involving rational expressions and make calculations easier.

3. How do you determine the partial fractions of a rational expression?

To determine the partial fractions of a rational expression, we first factor the denominator into its linear and irreducible quadratic factors. Then, we set up equations using the partial fraction decomposition formula and solve for the unknown coefficients.

4. What is the difference between proper and improper partial fractions?

A proper partial fraction is one where the degree of the numerator is smaller than the degree of the denominator. An improper partial fraction is one where the degree of the numerator is equal to or greater than the degree of the denominator. The process for finding the partial fractions is slightly different for each type.

5. Are there any restrictions or limitations when expressing a rational expression in partial fractions?

Yes, there are a few restrictions to keep in mind when expressing a rational expression in partial fractions. The denominator cannot have repeated factors, it must be factorable into linear and irreducible quadratic factors, and it cannot contain any negative or complex numbers.