Expression, Terms, Factors, Coefficients, Mono/Bi/Poly HELP

In summary: Technically, monomials are a specific type of polynomial with only one term. However, some sources may use the term polynomial to refer to any expression with multiple terms, even if it doesn't fit the strict definition of a polynomial. It is important to clarify the terminology being used in a specific context.
kyphysics
I'm trying to clarify my terminological understanding of things related to mathematical expressions.

Actually, first I want to make sure I understand what an expression is and is not.

From my current understanding, an expression is any number, variable, or combination of numbers and variables linked together by addition or subtraction.

Examples:
4 + 3
4x +3
1/3x^2 - 14x + 2y

The components of an expression are:
terms, factors, constants, and coefficients

Terms are the values linked by +/-. Factors are the things being multiplied (e.g., 4 and x in the second example above). Constants are numbers (like the 3 in first and second example). And coefficients are the numbers in front of variables (like 4 and 1/3 in the second and third example above. Am I right about this so far?

Also, in the third example, the second term is 14x. Would we say it's 14x or -14x. Similarly, would we say the coefficient is 14 or -14?

Questions:
What are monomials, binomials, and polynomials? Are they simply types of expressions?

On the "Math Is Fun" website, they state:
A polynomial can have constants, variables and the exponents 0,1,2,3,...But it never has division by a variable.

I'm slightly confused.

1.) So, polynomials can't have variables in the denominator, but they can have a denominator?
2.) Also, they can't have negative exponents, but they can have exponents?
3.) I've seen on a YouTube video a person saying that monomials, binomials, trinomials, etc. are ALL polynomials, because "poly" means many and doesn't specify the number of terms. So, technically, according to this YouTube video maker, monomials are also polynomials. Is this true?

Just trying to nail down my terminology!

polynomial.gif

The above image was taken from: https://www.mathsisfun.com/algebra/definitions.html

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I think of an expression as a general term for any mathematical phrase. e.g. ##\sqrt{x^{1.3}-\log{y}}## or ##x^2 ##.
kyphysics said:
Also, in the third example, the second term is 14x. Would we say it's 14x or -14x. Similarly, would we say the coefficient is 14 or -14?
I would recommend keeping the negative sign with your coefficient. This way, you can generally refer to the expression as a sum of terms.
kyphysics said:
What are monomials, binomials, and polynomials? Are they simply types of expressions?
Yes. Specifically, monomials and binomials are specific categories of polynomials.
Monomials will have the form:
##a x^\alpha## where ## a\in \mathbb{R} \neq 0## and ##\alpha \in \mathbb{Z} \geq 0.##
Similarly binomials will have exactly two terms.
##a x^\alpha + bx^\beta## where ## a,b \in \mathbb{R} \neq 0## and ##\alpha, \beta \in \mathbb{Z} \geq 0, \alpha \neq \beta.##
kyphysics said:
1.) So, polynomials can't have variables in the denominator, but they can have a denominator?
Right, but the denominator is a constant, and is usually thought of as part of the coefficient.
i.e. ## \frac{x^2}{2}##
kyphysics said:
2.) Also, they can't have negative exponents, but they can have exponents?
Right. To be a polynomial, you are only allowed to have non-negative integer exponents on your variable.
kyphysics said:
3.) I've seen on a YouTube video a person saying that monomials, binomials, trinomials, etc. are ALL polynomials, because "poly" means many and doesn't specify the number of terms. So, technically, according to this YouTube video maker, monomials are also polynomials. Is this true?
Yes.

1. What is an expression?

An expression is a mathematical phrase that contains numbers, variables, and operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. It does not have an equal sign and cannot be solved on its own.

2. What are terms in an expression?

Terms are the parts of an expression that are separated by addition or subtraction. They can be numbers, variables, or a combination of both.

3. What are factors in an expression?

Factors are the numbers or variables that are multiplied together to create a term or expression.

4. What are coefficients in an expression?

Coefficients are the numerical values that are multiplied by a variable or variables in an expression. They can be positive, negative, or zero.

5. What is the difference between mono, bi, and poly expressions?

A monomial expression contains only one term, a binomial expression contains two terms, and a polynomial expression contains more than two terms. The number of terms determines whether an expression is a mono, bi, or poly expression.