Expressions of the form *full, e.g. cupful, bag full, screenfull

In summary, people have different rules about how to suffix words with "full". There is no general rule.
Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
What is your personal practice in dealing with expressions of fullness that end with "full"? (I'm just curious what other people do, I'm not likely to change my own habits.)

I don't know if USA English has a rule about writing expressions like "cup full" (two words) vs "cupful" (one word sans an "L") vs "cupfull" (one word that the internet says is a misspelling. ). Perhaps each attempt to suffix a word by "full" is separate case. I don't follow a general rule. To me, "screenfull" looks ok, especially in talking about computers. Something like "fountainfull" looks wrong. Situations like "playful" are (to me) special cases. I don't think of "playful" as meaning a play that is full of something.

Likes mcastillo356
Physics news on Phys.org
Seems to me you are mixing the apples with the oranges. Words like playful (vengeful,delightful,awful) are a separate genre from cup full (screen full, head full). The first are transmuted versions of play-filled delight-filled
Personally I use these two different genres as written above. Since there is no Academie Americaine, and so we are chock full of lawful uses.

Likes Astronuc
Generally, the suffix is ful (with one "l"): headful, pocketful, cupboardful, spoonful. There may be some exceptions, I don't know.

You could draw a distinction between, for example, he was manful (brave, resolute) and he was a man full of bad ideas. Keeping "full" as a separate word may have a subtly different emphasis.

I would say chock full is no different from stuffed full or even filled full.

hutchphd said:
Since there is no Academie Americaine, and so we are chock full of lawful uses.

- and awful uses.

Likes hutchphd
PeroK said:
I would say chock full is no different from stuffed full or even filled full.
I'm filled with thoughtful agreement here, but, I'm also mindful of what is a seamful

and insightful, yet not a fully discernible, very minor error. . . chock full should actually

be chocked full. . . . :wink:
Then we might could say, in a truthful and shameful, or, even disgraceful way. . ."Sometimes, even my Goodyears are chocked full of inactivity. . ."
1603846506467.png
Lol. . . . :-p

Last edited:
Likes Astronuc
English dictionary built in Linux spellcheckers lists two words ending with full - overfull and bellyfull.

It lists 161 words ending with ful.

Likes PeroK

1. What is an expression of the form *full?

An expression of the form *full is a phrase that uses the word "full" to describe the amount or capacity of a specific object or container. This type of expression is commonly used in everyday language and is often seen in descriptions of measurements or quantities.

2. What are some examples of expressions of the form *full?

Some examples of expressions of the form *full include cupful, bag full, screenfull, spoonful, and handful. These expressions can also be used in a figurative sense to describe emotions or situations, such as "heart full of love" or "mind full of ideas".

3. How are expressions of the form *full different from other phrases?

Expressions of the form *full are different from other phrases because they specifically describe a quantity or amount. They also follow a specific structure, with the word "full" always coming after the object or container being described.

4. Can expressions of the form *full be used in formal writing?

Yes, expressions of the form *full can be used in formal writing. However, it is important to use them appropriately and avoid overusing them. It is also important to consider the context and tone of the writing to determine if these expressions are appropriate.

5. Are there any common misconceptions about expressions of the form *full?

One common misconception about expressions of the form *full is that they can only be used to describe physical objects or containers. However, as mentioned earlier, these expressions can also be used in a figurative sense to describe emotions or situations. Another misconception is that the word "full" must always come after the object or container, but this is not always the case as there are some exceptions, such as "cupful of coffee".