Extended hamiltonian operator for the Hydrogen atom

In summary, it is possible to extend the hamiltonian of the hydrogen atom to encompass half integer spin by the Levy-Leblond approach.
PedroBittar
I am familiar with the usual solution of the hydrogen atom using the associated legendre functions and spherical harmonics, but my question is: is it possible to extend the hamiltonian of the hydrogen atom to naturally encompass half integer spin?
My guess is that spin only pops in naturally in relativistic quantum mechanics, but since my knowledge on the subject is limited I am not sure how to proceed with the argument and would appreciate some references with more complete discussions.

Physics news on Phys.org
PedroBittar said:
My guess is that spin only pops in naturally in relativistic quantum mechanics
Your guess hits the point. If you stay non-relativistic, electron spin never enters the Hamiltonian of a Hydrogen-like atom (there is a perturbation method to account for the effect of spin, but as you might know a perturbation is something you add into the original model, it's not something you start off from the beginning). In fact, the relativistic effect in atom is best described through Dirac equation. For a more detailed discussion you may try chapter 8 in "Modern Quantum Mechanics" 2nd edition by Sakurai and Napolitano.

Likes PedroBittar and bhobba
PedroBittar said:
I am familiar with the usual solution of the hydrogen atom using the associated legendre functions and spherical harmonics, but my question is: is it possible to extend the hamiltonian of the hydrogen atom to naturally encompass half integer spin? [...]

Yes, it is possible to extend the Hamiltonian by the Levy-Leblond approach.

PedroBittar said:
[...] My guess is that spin only pops in naturally in relativistic quantum mechanics, but since my knowledge on the subject is limited I am not sure how to proceed with the argument and would appreciate some references with more complete discussions.

Your guess is wrong. Levy-Leblond's work is the subject of chapter 13 of Walter Greiner's "Quantum Mechanics. An Introduction", Springer Verlag.
Actually, Pauli's equation is the simplest Galilei-group invariant wave equation, just in the same vein as the Dirac one is the simplest Poincaré-group invariant group equation. There were/are two famous Ukrainian physicists, Fushchich and Nikitin who wrote a whole book on group-theoretical derivations of wave equations

upload_2017-3-19_23-43-37.png

dextercioby said:
Yes, it is possible to extend the Hamiltonian by the Levy-Leblond approach.
Your guess is wrong. Levy-Leblond's work is the subject of chapter 13 of Walter Greiner's "Quantum Mechanics. An Introduction", Springer Verlag.
Actually, Pauli's equation is the simplest Galilei-group invariant wave equation, just in the same vein as the Dirac one is the simplest Poincaré-group invariant group equation. There were/are two famous Ukrainian physicists, Fushchich and Nikitin who wrote a whole book on group-theoretical derivations of wave equations

View attachment 114767
That is very interesting, and makes a lot of sense since the pauli equation seems to be the nonrelativistic limit of dirac equation.
Thanks, I will definitely take a look on this group theory derivations.

1. What is an extended Hamiltonian operator for the Hydrogen atom?

The extended Hamiltonian operator is a mathematical representation of the total energy of a Hydrogen atom, taking into account the interactions between the electron and the nucleus. It includes terms for the kinetic and potential energies of both the electron and the nucleus, as well as the Coulombic interaction between them.

2. How is the extended Hamiltonian operator different from the regular Hamiltonian operator for the Hydrogen atom?

The extended Hamiltonian operator includes additional terms for the relativistic effects and the finite size of the nucleus, which are not taken into account in the regular Hamiltonian operator. This allows for a more accurate calculation of the energy levels and spectral lines of the Hydrogen atom.

3. What is the significance of the extended Hamiltonian operator for the Hydrogen atom in quantum mechanics?

The extended Hamiltonian operator is a crucial tool in understanding the behavior and properties of the Hydrogen atom in quantum mechanics. It allows for more accurate predictions of energy levels and spectral lines, and provides a deeper understanding of the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics.

4. How is the extended Hamiltonian operator derived for the Hydrogen atom?

The extended Hamiltonian operator is derived by incorporating the relativistic corrections and finite size effects into the regular Hamiltonian operator for the Hydrogen atom. This involves solving the Schrödinger equation with these additional terms, and then simplifying the resulting equation to obtain the extended Hamiltonian operator.

5. What are the limitations of the extended Hamiltonian operator for the Hydrogen atom?

The extended Hamiltonian operator is a theoretical construct and does not take into account all possible factors that may affect the behavior of the Hydrogen atom. It also becomes increasingly complex when applied to more complex atoms or molecules, making it difficult to use for practical calculations. Additionally, it does not account for quantum effects such as electron spin and magnetic moments.