Extension in spring with unequal forces acting on its two ends

In summary, if two masses are connected by a spring of spring constant k, and two forces act on the masses in opposite directions (outwards), then the extension in the spring and the acceleration of the masses are x= F2/k and kx(F1+F2)/(k)(m1+m2).
@bhishek
Two masses m1 and m2 are connected by by spring of spring constant k. If two forces F1 and F2 acts on the two masses respectively in mutually opposite direction (i.e. outwards) what would be the extension in the spring and the acceleration of the two masses.

I think that if assuming F1>F2
then the extension in spring should be equal to x= F2/k
and the forces acting on m1 would be F1 in forward and kx(F2) in backward direction.
and on m2 F2 in backward and kx(F2) in forward direction.

Where am I wrong in my assumption?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
@bhishek said:
I think that if assuming F1>F2
then the extension in spring should be equal to x= F2/k
and the forces acting on m1 would be F1 in forward and kx(F2) in backward direction.
and on m2 F2 in backward and kx(F2) in forward direction.

Where am I wrong in my assumption?
If the spring force equaled F2, what would be the net force on m2? Is that reasonable?

Likes 1 person
Thanks

Thank you. I noticed were I was wrong.
In this case the eqn would be
F1-kx = m1*a
kx- F2 = m2*a
Solving we would get
x= (m2*F1+ m1* F2)/(k)(m1+m2)

@bhishek said:
Thank you. I noticed were I was wrong.
In this case the eqn would be
F1-kx = m1*a
kx- F2 = m2*a
Solving we would get
x= (m2*F1+ m1* F2)/(k)(m1+m2)
Looks good to me.

Note that you are solving for the special case where there is no relative motion of the masses--the spring extension remains constant.

Doc Al said:
Looks good to me.

Note that you are solving for the special case where there is no relative motion of the masses--the spring extension remains constant.
In the same special case with no relative motion if we put m1=m2 and F2=0 (the surface is friction-less, I forgot to mention it earlier) then the extension in the spring comes to F1/(2*k)
Then how could there be extension when there is no friction acting on the masses?

Last edited:
@bhishek said:
In the same special case with no relative motion if we put m1=m2 and F2=0 (the surface is friction-less, I forgot to mention it earlier) then the extension in the spring comes to F1/(2*k)
Right. (I has assumed there was no friction since you did not mention any.)

Then how could there be extension when there is no friction acting on the masses?
Why would you need friction?

There seems to be something wrong with this problem statement. There appear to be 3 unknowns (the relative displacement x, and the acceleration of each of the two masses a1 and a2), but only two equations.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
There seems to be something wrong with this problem statement. There appear to be 3 unknowns (the relative displacement x, and the acceleration of each of the two masses a1 and a2), but only two equations.
We are assuming no relative motion of the masses, so there is a single acceleration. (That assumption should have been made explicit in the problem statement.)

Likes 1 person
Doc Al said:
Right. (I has assumed there was no friction since you did not mention any.)

Why would you need friction?

If the surface is friction less then why should there be any extension in spring. Shouldn't the spring be able to pull the block m2 without any extension?

@bhishek said:
If the surface is friction less then why should there be any extension in spring. Shouldn't the spring be able to pull the block m2 without any extension?
A spring cannot pull without extension. (An unstretched spring exerts zero force.)

The force exerted on m1 drags the entire system along. Some of that force is transmitted to m2 via the spring.

Likes 1 person
Doc Al said:
A spring cannot pull without extension. (An unstretched spring exerts zero force.)

The force exerted on m1 drags the entire system along. Some of that force is transmitted to m2 via the spring.

That solves the problem. :D

Related to Extension in spring with unequal forces acting on its two ends

1. What is extension in a spring with unequal forces acting on its two ends?

Extension in a spring with unequal forces refers to the change in length of a spring when different forces are applied to its two ends. This is commonly seen in real-life situations where one end of the spring is fixed while the other is pulled or compressed.

2. What causes extension in a spring with unequal forces?

The unequal forces acting on the two ends of the spring cause a difference in tension or compression, resulting in a change in its length. This is due to Hooke's law, which states that the extension of a spring is directly proportional to the applied force.

3. How can the extension in a spring with unequal forces be calculated?

The extension in a spring with unequal forces can be calculated using the equation F = kx, where F is the applied force, k is the spring constant, and x is the extension of the spring. The spring constant can be determined by dividing the force applied by the resulting extension.

4. Can a spring with unequal forces return to its original length?

Yes, a spring with unequal forces can return to its original length if the forces acting on its two ends are equal. This is because the spring will experience an equal and opposite force, causing it to return to its original position. However, if the forces remain unequal, the spring will continue to be extended or compressed.

5. How is the extension in a spring with unequal forces related to its material and dimensions?

The extension in a spring with unequal forces is directly proportional to its material and dimensions. A spring made of a stiffer material or with a larger cross-sectional area will have a higher spring constant, resulting in less extension for a given force. Similarly, a longer spring will have a higher extension compared to a shorter spring with the same force applied.