External damping force in Mass Spring Damper system

In summary, the conversation discusses designing a wave energy converter with one degree of freedom and a power extracting device. The equation of motion is given, including the added mass, damping coefficient, velocity, spring coefficient, and distance. The purpose of the external damping force is to enable power extraction by creating a non-conservative force. The optimum condition is achieved when the external damping coefficient is equal to the hydraulic damping coefficient and the system oscillates at its natural frequency.
Fluidman117
Hi,

I am designing a wave energy converter, which has one degree of freedom - heaving motion. Meaning it will move only in vertical direction.
My system can be considered as a Mass Spring Damper system.

Thus my equation of motion is:

F=Fh+Fe

Where,

Fe= Excitation force (Wave force)
F=m*a (mass times acceleration)
Fh= -m(a)*a - b(hyd)*v - k*x (hydromechanical load)

m(a) - added mass
b(hyd) - damping coefficient
v - velocity
k - spring coefficient
x - distance

However, I also want to add a power extracting device to my system, which can be considered a generator. I have read many papers and they usually add a external damping force to enable power extraction.

Fb(ext)=-b(ext)*v

Thus my new equation of motion would be:

F=Fh+Fb(ext)+Fe

And finally my question. I would like to understand the physical meaning behind the external damping force. Does it mean that it is just a resistance (load) applied to the system to enable power extraction?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you want to generate electrical power with this system, you will need a way to turn the heaving motion (basically a translation) into rotary motion to spin a generator.

The basic idea of modeling the system is that to extract energy from it, you need to create a non-conservative force, so that a graph of force against displacement around one cycle of motion encloses (an "indicator diagram") encloses some area. The area represents the amount of work done.

Assuming the force is proportional to velocity is one way to do that, and it has the advantage that the math works out easily. There are other ways - for example a "friction" force with constant amplitude that always acts in the opposite direction to the motion.

One of the basic issues here is that taking energy out of the system will reduce the amplitude of the motion, and there is an "optimum" amount of energy you can take out without reducing the amplitude so much that no energy can get in! This optimum point depends on the operating frequency of the machine (i.e. the frequency of the waves) compared with its resonant frequency.

Thank you for the answers. I also did a bit of research myself and my understanding of the external damping coefficient, b(ext), is that it it determines the damping force on the generator by increasing resistance and thus decreasing the velocity of the generator. Or the other way around, by decreasing the resistance you have an increase in velocity.
It turns out that the optimum condition is achieved when you set b(ext)=b(hyd) and when your system oscillates at a frequency which is equal to the natural frequency.

Hello,

I can provide some insights into the external damping force in a Mass Spring Damper system. In this type of system, the external damping force is a resistance force applied to the system to dissipate energy and reduce oscillations. It is often used to improve the stability and control of the system, as well as to extract energy from the system.

In your case, adding a power extracting device (generator) to your wave energy converter system requires the addition of an external damping force. This force acts as a load on the system and helps to extract energy from the heaving motion. It is important to carefully consider the damping coefficient, as it can affect the overall performance and efficiency of the system.

In summary, the external damping force in a Mass Spring Damper system serves as a means to control and extract energy from the system, and its physical meaning is to provide resistance and dissipate energy. I hope this helps to clarify the concept for your design. Best of luck with your wave energy converter!

1. What is an external damping force in a mass spring damper system?

An external damping force in a mass spring damper system is a force that acts on the system from the outside and opposes the motion of the system. It is typically caused by factors such as air resistance, friction, or other external forces.

2. How does the external damping force affect the behavior of the mass spring damper system?

The external damping force reduces the amplitude of the oscillations in the system, causing it to lose energy and eventually come to rest. It also affects the natural frequency of the system, making it lower and causing the oscillations to occur at a slower rate.

3. Can the external damping force be controlled or adjusted in a mass spring damper system?

Yes, the external damping force can be controlled by adjusting the damping coefficient in the system. This coefficient determines the amount of damping force that is present and can be changed to achieve a desired level of damping.

4. How does the presence of an external damping force impact the stability of the mass spring damper system?

The external damping force can improve the stability of the system by reducing the amplitude of the oscillations and preventing the system from reaching extreme values. However, if the damping force is too high, it can cause the system to become overdamped and not oscillate at all.

5. Is it possible for a mass spring damper system to have no external damping force?

Yes, it is possible for a mass spring damper system to have no external damping force if the system is in a vacuum or if all external forces are balanced and do not cause any damping. In this case, the system would continue to oscillate indefinitely without losing energy.