How to solve spring mass damper system manually?

In summary: There are pros and cons to having math faculty teach differential equations.The first time I took DE, I took it in the "pure math" department at my university. We spent all semester proving properties of the solution of x''+K^2 x = 0, but we never solved the equation. I thought that was pretty worthless, so I took the course again in the "applied math" department. There, we had a doctoral student who talked all semester about his research involving the Wronskian, again pretty pointless. After that, I learned how to solve the differential equation in ME and EE...
k.udhay
TL;DR Summary
Is it possible to solve a spring mass damper system manually? Pl. show some examples?
The other day when I solved a spring mass damper system in Matlab, I was curious how in olden days would have people solved the equation. We all know the 2nd order differential equation of the system:
1611493564423.png

However if I know the time, damping coefficient, stiffness and mass, will I be able to find 'x' manually? Are there some examples? I referred to my old engineering engineering textbook and failed to find a suitable example.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi,

The way you found it on utube is the same way you can find the damped oscillator ! Once you've read all that, the solution isn't far away !

• Informative
Likes k.udhay
k.udhay said:
Summary:: Is it possible to solve a spring mass damper system manually? Pl. show some examples?

I referred to my old engineering engineering textbook and failed to find a suitable example
Must be a pretty advanced textbook :wink:

The general way to solve such a thing is to try solutions like ##A\,e^{kx}## and see what you need for ##A## and ##k## to satisfy the equation ...

• Informative
Likes k.udhay
If you take the electrical analogues of mass (inductance), spring compliance (capacitance), the electrical formulas are very easy. Damping coefficient can be converted to resistance. I notice old textbooks recommending conversion to electrical parameters for solving complex problems such as resonance, filters etc.

• Informative
Likes k.udhay
tech99 said:
If you take the electrical analogues of mass (inductance), spring compliance (capacitance), the electrical formulas are very easy. Damping coefficient can be converted to resistance. I notice old textbooks recommending conversion to electrical parameters for solving complex problems such as resonance, filters etc.
Indeed yes. That's what gave birth to analog computers. In their day, they were very useful and fun too.

• Informative
Likes k.udhay and hutchphd
BvU said:
Must be a pretty advanced textbook :wink:

The general way to solve such a thing is to try solutions like ##A\,e^{kx}## and see what you need for ##A## and ##k## to satisfy the equation ...
Thanks BvU. I referred to the "solution" page you recommended where they start solving the differential equation assuming the solution is of the form "x = Ce^(λt)". So if this equation directly gives a simple solution for the position of mass x, the 2nd order differential equation that includes mass, stiffness etc. becomes redundant, right? We only solve "x = Ce^(λt)" and find x and other derivatives. Why did we write a governing equation at all?

tech99 said:

Despite of the fact that I am completely out of touch with electrical engineering, I will try to understand as much as I can. Thanks a lot for suggesting me a good analogy.

Here is the chapter from Sears et al,
https://opentextbc.ca/universityphysicsv1openstax/chapter/15-5-damped-oscillations/

• Love
Likes k.udhay and BvU
k.udhay said:
I referred to the "solution" page
Why did we write a governing equation at all?
Do you mean 'characteristic equation' ? The word 'governing' does not occur there ...

BvU said:
Do you mean 'characteristic equation' ? The word 'governing' does not occur there ...
Sorry my bad. Yeah the characteristic equation. Once we know it is a second order differential equation, is it no longer needed? Can we describe the whole system with the assumed solution "x = Ce^(λt)"?

No. At a minimum it would be ## C_1 e^{λ_1t} + C_2 e^{λ_2t} ## but we still have to investigate if the ##C## and ##\lambda## exist, and -- if so -- how many (cf critical damping case). And they have to be linked to the parameters and the initial conditions.

• Informative
Likes k.udhay
Re:
k.udhay said:
my old engineering textbook
In the curriculum for engineers there should also be math lectures, prefereably given by mathematicians. And second order differential equations should be on the menu.

Likes k.udhay
BvU said:
Re:
In the curriculum for engineers there should also be math lectures, prefereably given by mathematicians. And second order differential equations should be on the menu.

I was a poor student in math and I am paying for it now :|

Maybe you can afford it better to pay now :wink: ?

Likes hutchphd
BvU said:
Re:
There are pros and cons to having math faculty teach differential equations.

The first time I took DE, I took it in the "pure math" department at my university. We spent all semester proving properties of the solution of x''+K^2 x = 0, but we never solved the equation. I thought that was pretty worthless, so I took the course again in the "applied math" department. There, we had a doctoral student who talked all semester about his research involving the Wronskian, again pretty pointless. After that, I learned how to solve the differential equation in ME and EE courses.

Dr.D said:
The first time I took DE, I took it in the "pure math" department at my university.
I went to a 4 year engineering college, far from any city, frigid climate, no math department, no females. That style of college is very outdated today, but it had some advantages. :wink:

• Haha
Likes BvU and Dr.D
anorlunda said:
I went to a 4 year engineering college, far from any city, frigid climate, no math department, no females. That style of college is very outdated today, but it had some advantages.
What works well should never be out of date. In my case, the problem was not the females, but rather the faculty.

• Haha
Likes anorlunda

1. How do I determine the natural frequency of a spring mass damper system?

The natural frequency of a spring mass damper system can be determined by using the formula: fn = 1/2π √(k/m), where k is the spring constant and m is the mass of the system. This formula can be derived from the equation of motion for a spring mass damper system.

2. What is the equation of motion for a spring mass damper system?

The equation of motion for a spring mass damper system is given by: m¨ + c¨ + kx = 0, where m is the mass, c is the damping coefficient, and k is the spring constant. This equation represents the balance of forces acting on the system at any given time.

3. How do I calculate the damping ratio of a spring mass damper system?

The damping ratio of a spring mass damper system can be calculated by using the formula: ζ = c/2√(mk), where c is the damping coefficient, m is the mass, and k is the spring constant. The damping ratio determines the type of damping in the system, whether it is underdamped, critically damped, or overdamped.

4. What is the difference between free and forced vibrations in a spring mass damper system?

Free vibrations in a spring mass damper system occur when there is no external force acting on the system. The system will oscillate at its natural frequency. On the other hand, forced vibrations occur when an external force is applied to the system, causing it to vibrate at a frequency different from its natural frequency.

5. How do I solve for the displacement and velocity of a spring mass damper system at a specific time?

To solve for the displacement and velocity of a spring mass damper system at a specific time, you can use the equations: x(t) = Ae-ζωtsin(ωt + φ) and v(t) = ωAe-ζωtcos(ωt + φ), where ω = 2πfn is the angular frequency, φ = tan-1(ζ/√(1-ζ2)) is the phase angle, and A is the amplitude of the displacement or velocity. These equations can be derived from the general solution to the equation of motion for a spring mass damper system.