External division of a line segment

In summary: If you compare the vertex labels A, B and C with the vector labels a, b, c you will see that there's an error in the diagram.
Nero26
Suppose AB is a straight line segment. To divide the segment externally at point C in the ratio m:n, is it necessary for C to remain always outside of AB? I always thought C should be outside of AB, but the post in the link below confuses me
http://www.transtutors.com/math-homework-help/vectors/section-formula.aspx
Basically what is meant by external division of line segment by a point?
Can anyone please clarify me? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what you are asking. In the link, the point C is clearly on the line segment between A and B.
The point O is external to the line segment.

I would guess it means that the distances AC, BC should be in the ratio m:n. If that represents AC:BC (as opposed to the other way around) then there are two solutions, one internal and one external.

uploadfromtaptalk1368360807272.jpg

Thanks for your response.
SteamKing said:
I'm not sure what you are asking. In the link, the point C is clearly on the line segment between A and B.
The point O is external to the line segment.
I'm trying to know if C is on line segment between A and B (fig 2) then can it divide AB externally or not? In the link it says C divides AB externally in the ratio AC:AB =m:n, is it correct or not?

Sorry for not stating clearly.
haruspex said:
I would guess it means that the distances AC, BC should be in the ratio m:n. If that represents AC:BC (as opposed to the other way around) then there are two solutions, one internal and one external.
In (fig 1) if C divides AB externally then which pair of segments should we consider AC:CB or AC :AB?
Or does this consideration of segments depend on given ratios? (for m+n:n, AC:CB for m+n:m, AC:AB)

Last edited:
Nero26 said:
In (fig 1) if C divides AB externally then which pair of segments should we consider AC:CB or AC :AB?
In the construct "C divides AB", A and B have symmetric roles, whereas C is different. Therefore it's AC:CB.

haruspex said:
In the construct "C divides AB", A and B have symmetric roles, whereas C is different. Therefore it's AC:CB.

What have you meant by "A and B have symmetric roles" here?
Please explain a little more. And what about the second fig, that if C is in between A and B on AB, then can it divide AB externally?
Sorry for bothering you. :confused:

Nero26 said:
What have you meant by "A and B have symmetric roles" here?
"C divides AB" is the same statement as "C divides BA". The roles that B and A play in the statement are symmetric, so the two are interchangeable. In the ratio expression AC:AB, B and A are not interchangeable; AC:AB is different from BC:BA. Therefore the correct interpretation is the ratio AC:BC.
what about the second fig, that if C is in between A and B on AB, then can it divide AB externally?
If you compare the vertex labels A, B and C with the vector labels a, b, c you will see that there's an error in the diagram.

Thanks a lot haruspex :)

Related to External division of a line segment

What is external division of a line segment?

External division of a line segment is a geometric concept that involves dividing a line segment into two parts using a point outside the line segment. This point is known as the external point.

What is the formula for external division of a line segment?

The formula for external division of a line segment is:
External Division Point = (External Point * Distance from one endpoint) / (Distance from one endpoint + Distance from the other endpoint)

How is external division of a line segment different from internal division?

In external division, the point used to divide the line segment is outside the segment, while in internal division, the point is inside the segment. Additionally, external division produces two segments of different lengths, while internal division produces two segments of equal lengths.

What is the significance of external division of a line segment?

External division can be used to find the coordinates of a point on a line segment given the coordinates of the endpoints, or to divide a line segment into a specific ratio. It is also useful in various geometric constructions and proofs.

Can external division be applied to non-linear segments?

No, external division can only be applied to linear segments. Non-linear segments, such as curves or arcs, do not have a consistent distance between points, so the formula for external division cannot be used.