Extract anomalies from two-line element set (TLE) on ISS

In summary, the conversation is about a problem of interpreting mean anomaly, specifically at which anomaly the ISS is at two given points and on a specific date. The person is asking for clarification on the concept of mean anomaly, and someone suggests doing a Google search for more information.
fab13

Homework Statement

I am faced to a problem of interpretation illustrated on figure below :
guO20.png

I must precise that I talk about **mean anomaly**.

Homework Equations

for the 2 questions, I am asked to find :

1) at which anomaly is the ISS at the two lines epoch ?

2) at wchich anomaly is the ISS on December 1st 2018 ?

The Attempt at a Solution

Fron wikipedia link : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-line_element_set
[/B]
I think the answer to question 1) is maybe what I have extracted above (326.0288°)

But how to compute the anomaly of ISS on December 1st 2018 ?

I don't understand well this notion of meaning anomaly : could you tell me please, if you can, the concept of meaning anomaly, in a simple way ? I saw this is an angle by taking a virtual circular orbit but it causes confusions for me, I don't grasp the subtilities of this notion.

Even simple clarifications or tracks are welcome, I just want to understand better the 2 questions to be able to find an answer.

Regards

Attachments

• guO20.png
    guO20.png
    40.2 KB · Views: 569
Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is a two-line element set (TLE) on ISS?

A two-line element set, or TLE, is a data format used to describe the orbital parameters of a satellite, including the International Space Station (ISS). It consists of two lines of information, containing numerical values for elements such as the satellite's position, velocity, and orbital inclination.

2. How is the data extracted from the TLE on ISS?

The data is extracted from the TLE using specific algorithms and calculations that take into account the Earth's gravitational pull and the satellite's motion. This data is then used to predict the satellite's future position and track its orbital path.

3. Why is it important to extract anomalies from the TLE on ISS?

Extracting anomalies from the TLE on ISS allows for a more accurate prediction of the satellite's orbital path. This is important for tasks such as coordinating spacecraft rendezvous and avoiding collisions with other satellites or debris.

4. What are some common anomalies that can be extracted from the TLE on ISS?

Some common anomalies that can be extracted from the TLE on ISS include changes in orbital inclination, eccentricity, and mean motion. These anomalies can be caused by various factors such as atmospheric drag, solar pressure, and perturbations from other objects in space.

5. How often is the data in the TLE on ISS updated?

The TLE on ISS is typically updated every few days, as the satellite's orbital parameters can change over time. This data is constantly monitored and adjusted to ensure the accuracy of predictions and tracking of the ISS's location in space.