Extract values from ASCII file in GIS by Fortran code

In summary: The data is structured as a matrix of values, so you would need to write some code to access specific values within the matrix and process them according to your needs. You may also want to look into existing libraries or packages for reading and working with GIS data, as they may have more efficient and specialized functions for this task. In summary, the conversation discussed the process of reading values from an ASCII file in GIS using Fortran code, with a suggestion to explore existing libraries for more efficient solutions.
Pooyannikeghbali
TL;DR Summary
I want to read values from the ASCII file of GIS by Fortran code.
I want to read values from the ASCII file of GIS by Fortran code. In GIS, an area has meshed. Each mesh has an individual value (e.g. velocity of water). Here is the website that shows how the ASCII file is working in GIS.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esri_grid

I want to know if anybody has this code in Fortran or other languages.

Technology news on Phys.org
Pooyannikeghbali said:
Summary:: I want to read values from the ASCII file of GIS by Fortran code.

I want to read values from the ASCII file of GIS by Fortran code. In GIS, an area has meshed. Each mesh has an individual value (e.g. velocity of water). Here is the website that shows how the ASCII file is working in GIS.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esri_grid

I want to know if anybody has this code in Fortran or other languages.
I don't think anyone here will have an implementation in Fortran or any other language. It wouldn't be too hard to write one, though. You mentioned in your Intro that you have some experience with Fortran 90. Do you know how to open a file in Fortran and take input from the file?

Likes FactChecker and berkeman
The format of the data looks like it is fairly straightforward to read in a variety of languages. The real question is what the program should do with it after it has read the data.

What is an ASCII file?

An ASCII (American Standard Code for Information Interchange) file is a type of text file that contains only letters, numbers, and symbols that are represented by their corresponding ASCII codes. It is commonly used for storing and sharing data in a simple and universal format.

How can I extract values from an ASCII file in GIS?

To extract values from an ASCII file in GIS, you can use a programming language, such as Fortran, to read the file and extract the necessary information. You can also use GIS software with built-in tools for extracting data from ASCII files.

What is Fortran code?

Fortran (Formula Translation) is a programming language commonly used in scientific and engineering applications for numerical computation. It is specifically designed for numeric and scientific computing and is often used for processing large amounts of data.

Why would I want to extract values from an ASCII file in GIS using Fortran code?

Using Fortran code to extract values from an ASCII file in GIS allows for more control and flexibility in how the data is processed and analyzed. It also allows for automation of the extraction process, which can save time and effort.

Are there any limitations to using Fortran code for extracting values from an ASCII file in GIS?

While Fortran code can be a powerful tool for extracting data from ASCII files in GIS, it may not be the most user-friendly option for those without a background in programming. There may also be compatibility issues with different versions of Fortran and GIS software. It is important to thoroughly test and validate the code before using it for important data analysis.