Extremely confusing work question

In summary: The work done will be equal to the change in kinetic energy, which is zero in this case. In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of work done in a scenario where an object is pushed with a constant force and experiences friction. The total work done on the object is 0J, as the work done by the pushing force is equal to the work done by the frictional force. This is because the net force on the object is 0N, resulting in no change in kinetic energy. The purpose of understanding this concept is to explain the role of friction in requiring additional work to maintain the constant velocity of the object.
SecretSnow
Hi guys! Another question on work done that stumbled me.. If I push an object with a constant 3500N force at a constant velocity since the friction is 3500N as well, what is the work done if the displacement is 5m to the right?? At first look, I would say its 3500*5=17500J? Because that's work done against friction right?? Is this even the same as work done on object? However, I'm thinking that it can be 0J too. The reason being that the solution says if I exert 3900N instead, there's a net 400N so 400*5=2000N. This translates to 0J if I exert 3500N instead! Which is right? Or are both right just because the bodies are different? (Is friction in this case considered as a body? I'm treating this question having having only 1 body unless you're saying the floor is another body. If so I'm guessing the work done on the body is 17500N but the work done on the floor is -17500N and the net work done is 0J. HOWEVER, the negative work done is by the object and not by me, although this is the best explanation. What is true??) thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
If Work is defined as a force being done over a distance and your Friction Force is equal to the Pushing Force then what can you conclude about the mass?

The work done by the force on the object is 3500*5=17500J
The work done by the frictional force on the object is -3500*5=-17500J
So, the total work done on the object is 17500J - 17500J = 0J

The total work done on the object is just the sum of the works done by each force.
The total work is also equal to the work done by the resultant force on the object, which in the first case is 0N.

ap123 said:
The work done by the force on the object is 3500*5=17500J
The work done by the frictional force on the object is -3500*5=-17500J
So, the total work done on the object is 17500J - 17500J = 0J

The total work done on the object is just the sum of the works done by each force.
The total work is also equal to the work done by the resultant force on the object, which in the first case is 0N.

Meaning this is still logical, given that I've done 17500J of work using my force but the resultant force's work on the object is 0J? Then what's the significance of knowing it has done 0J of work? What's the purpose in this if it does not relate to me ultimately how much work I've done? Thanks!

SecretSnow said:
Meaning this is still logical, given that I've done 17500J of work using my force but the resultant force's work on the object is 0J?
yes
Then what's the significance of knowing it has done 0J of work?
No net work implies no change in the kinetic energy of the system, that is, no change in its speed, as stated.
What's the purpose in this if it does not relate to me ultimately how much work I've done? Thanks!
If friction wasn't there , you'd only after to give it a small nudge, and then it would move by itself at constant speed, so you wouln't have to do any work at all. But since friction is there, you've got to do work on the object "against friction" to keep it moving at constant speed.

Oh! I suddenly remember, the work energy theorem. If there's no friction and air resistance or external forces, does it mean that when I give it a small push ill be doing infinite work since it can travel indefinitely?

work = force * distance.
As soon as you stop exerting the force, the work will drop to zero. You are only doing work as long as the force is acting.

1. What makes this work question extremely confusing?

This work question may be classified as extremely confusing due to its complexity and lack of clear instructions or context. It may also involve unfamiliar concepts or require advanced knowledge in a particular field.

2. How can I approach an extremely confusing work question?

One approach is to break down the question into smaller parts and try to understand each part individually. You can also seek clarification from your supervisor or colleagues, or do additional research to gain a better understanding of the question.

3. What are some tips for solving an extremely confusing work question?

Some tips include identifying the main objectives of the question, utilizing available resources, and brainstorming potential solutions. It can also be helpful to take breaks and come back to the question with a fresh perspective.

4. How can I prevent getting overwhelmed by an extremely confusing work question?

It can be helpful to prioritize the different components of the question and focus on one aspect at a time. You can also seek support from colleagues or supervisors and create a plan of action to tackle the question systematically.

5. Is it okay to ask for help when faced with an extremely confusing work question?

Yes, it is completely acceptable to ask for help when faced with a confusing work question. It shows that you are proactive and willing to learn, and seeking guidance and advice from others can lead to a more successful outcome.